Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heart Palpitations and GERD (Read 4050 times)
TFarfan
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

USA
Heart Palpitations and GERD
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:48pm

Hi. I've been peeking in on posts for quite some time and they are helpful to me.  I just had a question regarding heart palpitations and GERD.  I have had all the tests done to check my heart like, EKG'S, stress test, holter monitor, etc.  and all were fine.  All they found was a slight heart murmur which they said was an incidental finding.  I guess my frustration comes with the on going heart palps.  I hardly had any for about 3 months and now they are back with a vengence!  And I have to watch what I eat.  My question is, would it help me if I took some kind of medicine for GERD.  I know I have symptoms of it and I try to watch my diet but I am not always consistent with it.  And of course, sometimes I just get them out of the blue.  It can be very frustrating and scary.  I also deal with anxiety and these don't help!  Any impute would be great!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Heart Palpitations and GERD
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2007, 3:13pm

Controlling the symptoms of GERD and other GI-related conditions will certainly go a long way to reducing the frequency of benign palpitations. Remember that the Vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as well as the heart. See the connection? Depending upon your symptoms, it's always a good idea to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist prior to simply trying out things that you believe might help. The causes for GERD are multi-factorial and treatments can be targeted to best relieve symptoms. The symptoms may also be due to IBS rather than GERD, so it's important to get an accurate assessment prior to aiming any sort of treatment at the problem.

If your physician chooses to treat symptomatically, however, then a good starting point would be one of the proton pump inhibitors to reduce acid production, together with changes in diet and equally important, how you are consuming food as a regimen of your diet. Careful attention to these factors will yield best results.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
TFarfan
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

USA
Re: Heart Palpitations and GERD
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2007, 4:55pm

Thanks for the information.  I will be checking with my family physician to see what she would recommend.  I appreciate the time you take to answer our concerns.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print