Sharp Pains (Read 17273 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Sharp Pains
Feb 19th, 2007, 1:19am

Hi

I'm still getting a sharp pain under my left breast in and off couple times a day, it's more when I breath in and it spreads a bit into the centre.  Is this the same as what you told me the other day about indigestion and diapham etc..  Just normally this goes after a couple of days but I've still got it.

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Sharp Pains
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2007, 8:30am

This is merely chest wall pain and can sometimes occur as a consequence of repeated coughing, which results in muscle strain.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2007, 2:01pm

While we are talking chest pains, I also get some sharp quick pains just left of center. Sometimes I will get it when I bend over, sit in a crunched position, driving, holding the phone and sometimes when I am doing nothing.  Sometimes it will also send a pain into my left shoulder blade that fades away after 10-20 seconds.  This has happened off and on for several years, sometimes several times a day. It too is scary but I try and think that it is muscle related.  But I have read that women don't get the typical chest tightness, but more of a sharp pain if having a heart attack. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2007, 2:41pm

Well, I'm not certain where that predilection arose, but my experience is that more women suffer acute symptoms rather than chronic. This does not suggest, however, that your symptoms are cardiac-related to any extent. Remember that true cardiovascular disease is progressive. It doesn't just get better or wax and wane over time. Damage to systems and tissues causes more damage and symptoms become increasingly more predominant. While this is not universal, it is by far the most frequent case.

I more suggest that your symptoms are due to either trapped air at the hiatal junction or esophageal sphincter and that movement or compression by bending causes pressure at the diaphragm and consequently, discomfort or pain. I'm going to give these symptoms my old and familiar "yaaaaawn" response, one that my nurses instantly recognize as an indication that the patient's symptoms are harmless. You'll be fine.

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2007, 3:24pm

Thanks for your answer.  Several years ago I changed from a one handed backhand to a two handed backhand in my tennis game so I am wondering if that might have something to do with it too.  Off to see the cardiologist Thursday to recheck my cholesterol numbers.  Have been trying to eat really well and see if I can get that Lp(a) number to move down from 160 since that still has me slightly freaked.  All my other numbers are now great thanks to the Lipitor.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2007, 5:55am

Hi Thank you

I haven't had a cough, put like I said I have been pulled heavy appliances about so thats whats probably done it.

Also, I'm trying to be logic about it, but your reply to another member re. event monitors and 24 hr ECGs or holters, Does that mean the 24hr one aren't as effective and can miss potential dangers?,  as I've never once had a missed or weird beat whilst on one of these, would the testing I had done be enough to rule out these arrthymia problems, I had a 24 ECG loads of normal ECG's and Echocardiogram.   I suppose I'd be more reassured if I'd had one whilst on a machine then they say, yes ok thats fine just benign, but because one's never happened (which is good in one way) I still worry that they can't make a proper diagnosis without all the information, does that sound silly?

I know I have bad anxiety, just every now and then when my chest seems to do weird bubbly things and I get weird beats, I can't help but think, is this ok?. I am getting there it's just sometimes I can't help but get upset or paniced over the fact I may have to live with these for the rest of my live, I know I'm really lucky compared to some people who have to face worse, but it's like - I'm going to go back to work Part Time to help my hubby and I know I'm going to have to deal with this and yet I can not tell anyone, I can not put on my CV I have a anxiety disorder and occasionally get panic attacks, because I wouldn't be touched with a barge pole.  

Sorry just sometimes I have doubts.  I should take notice of how far I've come.

Least spring is on the way, I live down a Avenue that has a big row of Trees, (fortunately protected as they are a memorial for soldiers of the 1st or 2nd world war, otherwise developers would have been on it like vultures) I looked out my windows yesterday and saw the blossom starting to pop up all over the trees, and daffodils growing amoungst the grass, and it brightened the day.  Roll on the lighter evenings!

Hope you are all doing ok

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2007, 2:00pm

Somehow, I held the thought in the back of my mind that my response to an inquiry about event monitors and holter monitors would raise the question of whether the Holter tests were now invalid as being insufficient. Not the case whatsoever.  

True heart disease does not hide. It doesn't know whether you're wearing an event monitor or holter monitor and the point being made is that event monitors are more likely to record benign palpitation events, whereas in the instance of true heart disease, both monitors will equally provide the evidence necessary in addition to other common tests. It's important when reading literature such as that I've provided, to carefully understand what is being stated.

You're certainly free to request an event monitor, but the money would be better spent on a new outfit and a night out on the town with the hubby.

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007, 2:16pm by RLR »  

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2007, 12:08am

Hi

The latter of the 2 sounds more fun!  Smiley

Thanks for your reply

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 4:33am

Hi

Feeling a bit panicky, been having sharp pains on and off, and this morning had it under my left breast, more to my side though, I washed my floor by hand today and few other bits and then sat down for lunch, sat for 15 mins then put my plate in the kitchen then back and sat in the armchair to finish watching my programme, I had my head resting on my arm and then I breathed in and got a sharp pain in my left side could still feel it would happen again then it was right across my chest, I stood in a panic and went very hot, now I have a headache, and need to go and tidy upstairs but am worried it will happen again.  Earlier today I had a muscle spasm in my lower back.  Is this still just trapped air?

Hope everyone is ok

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 6:11am

Kath- I get those sharp shooting little pains all the time, especially around my left side/breast area.  Sometime I am not doing anything, sometimes when I am driving with my left hand, holding the phone, bending over, picking things up or sitting in a slightly crunched way.  Lots of time I will also get a corresponding pulling pain in my shoulder blade.  I actually saw my cardio's NP yesterday and mentioned it to her.  She did not sound too concerned.  It is probably muscle/nerve related.  I know when you breath in you are expanding a lot of those chest muscles.  My Dr told me you can not force cardio pain to happen with breathing and there is a name for that-

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/costochondritis.htm

Take care.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 6:20am

Hi

Thanks Beanie, it's just horrible, once now and then I can cope with but it was so sharp,  I know I have been pulling stuff about lately and have probably pulled a muscle.  I have had problems since having the children and carrying them in their car seats, also have problems with my elbow, if I leave it bent for a little while My hand and arm go a little numb and it hurts sometimes.
I am right handed and useless with my left hand so, it's probably not as strong.

I will look at your link

Thanks you

Kath x
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 9:51am

Hi

Looked at your link, makes sense.  If it had been just one pain I'd have been ok but as it happened and shot across my chest when I breathed in for the second time and I think it did it again when I stood up and breathed in, so I panicked more. Also my chest has felt a bit weird lately, I keep getting mild fizzing feeling where I got the pain as well.  My thoughts went out of control and as I've been getting this on and off for about a week I just couldn't think straight, called my sister and my hubby. My sister just tells me off!

Thanks again

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:35am

I had about 5 days straight of a sharp pain everytimeI took a breath, that's why I went to the Dr.  I am not kidding, it was with every breath.  I have had it even when I was a kid -I remember riding my bike and taking a deep breath and getting that sharp pain.  It hurts and is quite startling.  I have had them off and on for many years, so I guess it would have gotten me by now if it was something bad.  There is always something to worry about- most of it needless and a waste of our energy.  Hang in there!!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:30pm

Kathryn,

The reason your hand experiences numbness is due to median and radial nerve compression. It's one of the most common complaints that we address in the clinic. It's of no consequence whatsoever. Taking time to stretch and getting simple exercise that increases range of motion will help to diminish the occurances somewhat, but everyone experiences the syndrome at one time or another.

Secondly, the chest wall pain is musculoskeletal related. It will never "become" something worse or suddenly represent something different. You are working to make it different, but it continues to be the same symptom with slight variations.

You're going to be just fine, Kathryn. Cross my "heart."

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2007, 3:03am

Hi

Thank you x