Send Topic Print
fast hard heart beats (Read 6736 times)
pinkscrumpy
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

england
fast hard heart beats
Mar 08th, 2007, 6:51am

Angry  Sorry to bother you again but I wonder if anyone can help with my symptom.

Last night while watching tv and also when I was lying in bed my heart beats were about 100 beats per min and very hard.  You could see my chest moving as it pumped.  Is it normal for you heart to go that fast while although mine at resting is normally between 75 - 85 beats per min.

What confuses me is that I am already on 160mg propanolol daily so shouldn't this calm the rate down.  I would hate to think what my rate would be if I am not on the medication.

Thanks all
love

mandie

will i ever escape this
will i ever be free
will somebody help me
and pass me the key
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: fast hard heart beats
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2007, 1:47pm

Okay, don't try and assume a direct 1:1 relationship between the effects of propanolol and your resting heart rate either with or without the medication. The heart and associated physiology reacts differently in the absence of medication than it does while under the influence of beta blockers.

There are a number of reasons for an elevated resting pulse, not the least of which is a sedentary lifestyle. Other factors can also play a role and it's difficult here to assume what took place, but the fact that it self-resolved and was not accompanied by other symptoms does not in of itself suggest pathology. Since you are on an antihypertensive, I wonder whether your doctor has you monitoring your blood pressure and whether or not this is for treatment for hypertension or irregular heartbeat.

It's always a good idea to check your blood pressure once in the morning and once in the evening at about the same time and only after resting for about 20 minutes in a seated position. The arm used for the cuff should be at or slightly above the level of the heart. Wrist cuff-type sphygnamometers have become a lot more reliable, although arm cuff types are still preferred by professionals. You can, at times, experience hypotension if seated for a good deal of time and vagal tone becomes relaxed. In the presence of an antihypertensive, the body will respond to hypotension by accelerating heart rate and cardiac force, hence the pounding sensation. It's a perfectly normal response, but it would be advisable to begin checking your blood pressure if you experience more episodes. Otherwise, you'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
pinkscrumpy
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007, 6:58am

Thank you for your reply RLR

I was put on propanalol for the irregular heart beat.  My blood pressure has always been spot on.  Thats why I worry that when it goes fast shound't the beta blocker stop that?

Thanks again

mandie

will i ever escape this
will i ever be free
will somebody help me
and pass me the key
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2007, 10:42am

These medications are designed to infer consistency, not overwhelming control of heart rate. The body must have the ability to alter heart rate based upon demands, which don't necessarily have to do with exertion. Changes also occur with changes in blood pressure that are entirely normal in nature.

When you say "irregular" heartbeat, are you referring to benign palpitations, or another diagnostic condition?

IP Logged
pinkscrumpy
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

england
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007, 2:17am

Hi RLR

Thanking you again for your reply.

I am referring to benign palps.

Thanks again

Mandie

will i ever escape this
will i ever be free
will somebody help me
and pass me the key
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2007, 3:44am

okay, Mandie. The likely case here is brief and mild hypotension episodes that may be the consequence of treatment with propanalol. Nothing to worry about unless you have episodes of dizzines, light-headedness or fainting that cannot be explained otherwise.

The body reacts in several ways to reduction in blood pressure below what is considered normal for your particular physiology, one of which is increasing heart rate and cardiac force that produces a change in mechanical pressure.

Sedentary lifestyle also can affect resting heart rate. It's important to get at least 20 minutes per day of exercise enough to mildly elevate the heart rate for the period of exertion.

You'll be fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print