Advice (Read 3829 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Advice
Mar 09th, 2007, 1:45pm

Hi

Not anything to do with palpitations, so sorry if I've posted in the wrong bit.

Don't know weather you can help on this, but for a while now, on occasion when my husband passes motion there is alot of blood left in the toilet after, he does suffer with piles and has been to the doctors, who prescribed him pessaries and told him to go back, well my hubby won't do the pessaries because of where he's got to put them! It happened again today, It's bright red blood, and we were told by a pediatrician when my son was little that if it's bright red it's nothing serious but if it's dark then it means it's come from further up and is serious.  I am getting worried now, I know blood is normal with piles, but theres quite a bit!.  Is this something to worry about do you think?

I will keep on at him to do the pessaries and go back to the doctors.

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Advice
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2007, 10:37am

Okay, while I agree this is beyond the topics of this forum I'll go ahead and respond for several reasons. Always remember that this is not a forum for evaluation or diagnositics, which are not only impossible under such circumstances but also unwise.

Hemorrhoidal suppositories, while imposing relief in many cases, are not the likely choice for home care due the reasons you describe and are most successful in cases where patients are under treatment in the hospital or under home health conditions where assistance is available.

If your husband is passing a good deal of frank blood in his stool, the condition can lead to anemia if chronic enough. If passing blood of this particularly described nature is a change in bowel habits, then my suggestion here is to promptly arrange an appointment with your doctor to discuss scheduling a sigmoidoscopy. More aggressive treatment would be necessary to get the condition under control if he refrains from using the suppositories.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Re: Advice
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2007, 11:37pm

Thanks RLR,

Kath x
  IP Logged