Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Palpitations are back after being sick (Read 5484 times)
Nicolette
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Palpitations are back after being sick
Mar 11th, 2007, 9:01am

Okay, two weeks ago I caught a bug that was going around. I had it for two and a half weeks. I had severe coughing, that was loud and painful, and would make me toss my cookies. There was a lot of phlegm, it was green-yellow, and also a rust color. I had a low fever for a couple of days. I was miserable. Well now that I'am getting over it, I have severe anxiety, and panic attacks. I have had anxiety and panic for a long time, but this is ridicilous. It just will not go away. My palpitations are back, and I'am afraid to go to sleep at night because I keep waking up with a racing heart. What scares me is that I might have a blood clot in my lungs, because I looked up the symptoms, and I have a lot of those symptoms, especially the anxiety and palpitations. I barely walk for a minute, and I have shortness of breath, and chest pain. I still have to cough a couple times a day, but it's dry, and my lungs feel really sore. It's really hard to explain the sensation I feel through my body, it's like all the muscles in my body tense up, and I literally stop breathing for a moment, it's a strong feeling of impending doom. It's really scary. I don't know if it's just my body trying to recover or what, or that I'am ultra sensitive, but I feel like I'am going to die. I'am convinced I have a blood clot in my lungs, and everybody around me thinks I'm crazy. Well this is very serious to me. I no longer have any congestion, but everytime I take a deep breath, the muscles all over my body get this weird feeling, I can't explain it, and I know it is not hyperventilation. I have had that before and this is definitely not it. The Xanax XR I take is not helping one bit. I'am also taking Lithium, and I'am supposed to start Lamictal and Lunesta on top of that tomorrow. Does anybody know what this could be? I just hope it's not what I think I have: Pulmonary Embolism. I would really appreciate any reply's.

Thanks,

~Nicolette

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Palpitations are back after being sick
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2007, 10:23am

Well Nicolette, where in the world did you come up with the notion that you have a pulmonary embolism?

Your symptoms also describe a dozen or more other serious conditions, so let's hope that you don't have those as well. My point is that many patients base the origin of their symptoms upon limited knowledge that they consume initially to try and reduce fears, only afterwords do they realize that a little knowledge becomes a razor-sharp conflict.

It's very critical to realize that when you read medical information, it's scope is extremely limited due to the vast amount of background medical information that underlies illness and disease which cannot be redundantly imposed upon every article of such content. Anyone reading these exposays is capable of wondering whether their symptoms are similar.

First and foremost, you had anxiety and palpitations prior to this illness, which by your description sounds a good deal like an upper respiratory infection from which coughing produced sputum streaked with blood as a consequence of strain. Some pneumonias can also cause this condition. The anxiety and apprehension described as symptoms of PE arise as unfamiliar sensations to the patient.

Secondly, most all pulmonary embolisms arise from clots elsewhere in the body that have traveled to the lung and become lodged in vessels too small for them to continue traveling. The vessel can burst, causing bleeding wherein patients can cough up the clot and free blood. A pulmonary infarct can also occur that creates inexorable pain from the death of lung tissue being deprived of blood. If you had been complaining to your doctor that you had deep pain in a leg calf or a history of clot formation, I'd be more apt to listen, but PE just doesn't arise and present itself as such, rather it does so as the consequence of an underlying problem whose symptoms are omnipresent.

If you've never observed first-hand a process like this taking place, then doing so would greatly diminish your fears that you have the condition. The associated pain is not just an ache or minimal piercing jab, but intractable pain on most occasions that often requires intervention to settle the patient.

Pleural pain subsequent to respiratory infection is extremely common due to the muscles suffering strain and insult from constant coughing. It can be very irritating to tissues already suffering from an infectious agent.

You're going to be fine and it can take up to several weeks before the symptoms fully resolve. If you continue to experience a shortness of breath and or cough up blood, then it's simply a requisite that you appear before your physician who will likely take a plain film x-ray of your lungs to rule out the presence of a pneumonia, which will be treated with antibiotics. In the absence of fever and productive cough, you're likely on the route to recovery.

Please explain the rationale for taking Xanax(XR), Lithium, Lamictal and Lunesta. This is a pretty serious cocktail and would make me wonder what we're hoping to achieve with such combination therapy.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Nicolette
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Palpitations are back after being sick
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2007, 1:03pm

Thank you RLR. After reading your reply, you knocked a lot of sense into me. The reason I thought I had PE, was because I did the stupid thing of googling my symptoms, which in turn had me convinced that I had it because I had sensations I had never felt before, along with chest pain and shortness of breath. Although I'am still coughing and my lungs are a bit sore, I have to accept that I'am fine and that I'am recovering. Like I said before, your reply knocked a lot of sense into me,. I needed that and I thank you for it. It's just when my panic/palpitations act up, I worry. The reason for all of those medications, is because of my comorbid condition. My Doctor(psychiatrist) wants me on them. He thinks that I'am bipolar 2, so he has me on 1350mg of Lithium. I take the Xanax for my anxiety. He wants me to start Lunesta for my sleep problems. I have a hard time falling asleep, and I have a lot of palpitations at night. I'am now afraid to fall asleep. He said the Lamictal would help with my depression. He said it has worked wonders with his other patients dealing with Bipolar and depression. I don't want to take this medication because I honestly do not think that I have Bipolar. I have told him this, and he just shakes his head and looks at me as if to say ''your in denial''. My mom is totally against me taking all of these meds. She is afraid that I will get sick with the side effects or something bad will happen. She told me that she thinks that I have Da Costa's Syndrome. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. I don't know what the outcome of all of this will be. Above all I just want piece of mind. I want to know what is wrong with me besides the panic and anxiety. I want to know why I  have been unresponsive to meds, and my doctors know this, and as a result I have been on so many I have lost count, trying to find the ''one'' that will help me. I just know that I'am being misdiagnosed. I just hope to figure this all out soon.

Thanks RLR,

~Nicolette

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print