Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emotions and Palpitations (Read 13748 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Emotions and Palpitations
Mar 13th, 2007, 7:08am

Hi,

Would you mind explaining to me how me getting upset can cause me to have palpitations and missed or weird beats?

Reason is, I had my son's school call at 11.10 to say could I go and see the headmistress at 12 as my son had been naughty, now I've had a few problems where my son has been accused of things he hasn't done, so I've instantly started to worry, and called a friend to see if she could have my youngest and got myself so upset that I started to cry, whilst I was crying I got 3 biggish missed beats 1 each time I breathed in, I also got reallt nervous about going in.

So just wanted to know whats going on in my body to cause that?

Like it's been mentioned before, my emotions do upset everything and I just wondered why really?

I know this sounds illogical but you sometimes hear of people who have heart attacks etc.. because the've had a big shock or got to stressed,  these sort of statements are really the start of me worrying, about my heart and that perhaps me being a really stressful person could eventually have an effect on my heart, I do try to think, well they must have had something else wrong with their hearts for that to happen, but it plays on my mind, also the lady I saw on my Relaxation course, when I mention my heart skipping and benign palpitations she asked how long have I been stressed and had anxiety for and I said about 5 or 6 years and she said you're ok then if it had been a bit longer then we'd be worried, why would they be worried?  

Been feeling a bit better until that phone call today, really need to find something that will help me not get so upset and anxious that quickly. Any ideas anyone?  I can sort of control the long term, but what about the sudden unexpected call that makes you that way quickly?

I'm probably not making much sense,

Thanks for your time, an explanation will help me when it happens so I can think right this, this and this is happening, it's perfectly normal, then to calm that bit quicker.

Thanks

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Re: Emotions and Palpitations
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007, 1:16pm

All i know is that i get that too.  And when something unexpeced happens i think my body goes into overdrive and 'expects' something bad to happen anyway!!  Last night i was really struggling and have been since Friday.  Was feeling like i was just going to drop down dead at any moment.  Nothing i did made any difference.  I have been so scared, just thought this is it i'm going to die, die, die.  My bp and pulse were fine and i wasn't having a panic attack or anything, just this horrible, horrible feeling.  Needless to say i got really, really upset and surprising enough i didn't have any ectopics.  But TODAY!!!!!, so far i have had two lots of runs of ectopic beats, long runs, made me dizzy and lightheaded.  And 5 seperate ectopics, large ones.  Even though i've had the tests and been given the all clear as it was, they still really scare me too.  Sorry i can't be of more help.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
saab

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2007, 1:54pm

I am like this too (didn't use to be). If anything happens now I automatically assume the worst possible outcome. When I misplaced my ticket for the exit to Tesco, in the space of a second I went through every negative scenario possible, up to and including court appearances for not paying the fine they would give me. In fact, I pressed the button and the man buzzed me through.

I can only say that I have found it helpful to go through some CBT exercises in my head, eg.

- well, what could happen?
- how likely is it that that thing really will happen? Would you bet your house on it   happening?
- if it did what would you do?

- sometimes this helps me to get things in perspective and see that whatever happens will not be the end of the world and I will cope. Easier said than done of course, and it doesn't help when you have that "I am about to drop dead" feeling, which I have had a lot in the past. Realistically, if someone got up everyday and was convinced they were going to win the lottery I would think they were mad - yet I often get up and think negative things which are just as unlikely.

I am feeling anxious tonight about my heart - busy day and just eaten 2 squares of 86% cocoa solids chocolate, forgetting that it has caffeine in which I am trying to avoid. And it's Weight Watchers tomorrow. Just took my pulse, loads of missed beats. I am going to get my RLR print-outs out now to read in bed! Although I have had a nice evening, my ectopics are often stress related and I think that now we have anxiety we are just so much more susceptible to physical and emotional stress.

These horrible feelings will pass - it is just anxiety, which in itself cannot harm us. Hope you both feel better soon.

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2007, 2:49pm

Thanks saab and Angiebaby

I've often had the feelings and thoughts you've described, still waiting for my CBT you know what the NHS are like!!! and I think this would help alot, as it's meant to be more positive.

I've had those thought angiebaby, but you are still here today and like saab said if you woke and went to bed everyday thinking that you would win a decent amount on the lottery you'd be mad, as the chances of that happening are so slim. That has crossed my mind a few times.  So yes we all will you know what one day, but not because you think it will.  It is scary though those thoughts, try to think nice things, when those horrible thoughts creep in, try really hard to think of something you really like to do.

The missed beats are so uncomfortable as I get a weird feeling with mine like a momentary panic feeling in my heart as it happens, and when it happens a few times in a row that to worries me.

Knowing whats going on in my body helps me sometimes to make sense of it so when it does I can think whats happening inside and rationalise it a bit better.

Thanks again for your posts, it's nice to know your not alone.

Kath x x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007, 4:04am

Kathryn,

You think too much.

When a person becomes stressed, conditioning by habit can force a "fight or flight" response to become the customary pattern. I won't elaborate on the fight or flight response here because it has been discussed many times previously and I'll refer you to those postings for further information.

The body simply responds despite the fact that no real threat exists. This places the body in a constant state of readiness. You can well imagine that physiological factors occur that are recognized by patients as "symptoms" which are, in actuality, merely normal responses by the body during inappropriate timeframes.

Best regards and Good Health

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2007, 4:42am

I do think to much  Smiley

Thanks for your responce.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2007, 5:28am

I also have an immediate response to stress with the result being palps.  For example I have been doing quite well with just a few a day, but to make a long story short, a good friend of mine has an alcholoic husband who hit her for the first time (black eye, broken cheekbone) and as I was finding out about it I immediately got almost non stop palps that calmed downed after  a few minutes, but anytime  I start to talk to her about all this they start up instantly. (He is in a rehab facility now with a felony charge waiting for him)

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2007, 6:47am

How horrible!  Your poor friend

It's reassuring to hear others experience the same.

Hope your friend is better soon

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2007, 7:32am

It is bad news alright- but made me see what an immediate response I had to anxious, stressful incidents. Been doing CBT (3 times) but talking mostly about concerns of my husbands health-need to talk about my own anxieties of my health, which is really this LP(a) cholesterol test I had where I am off the charts.  Genetic and not much I can do but it freaks me out -it is 4 times higher than it should be.  Other than that I have no problem but can't seem to let go of that small fact about the LP(a). Wish they had never told me because all my other numbers are now good.  I keep thinking I will live to be 94 like my grandmother and have wasted soo much time thinking and worring about things that never come to fruition.  It is funny how different people react to a situation.  Like my friend who has been helping my other friend with the alcoholic husband.   I am a bit concerned about getting in the middle of this for fear he might get enraged and take it out on me.  Where my other friend who is actually more involved than I has no fear of this.  But the other day we had a small earthquake here in Ohio and it did not bother me at all (talk about something you have no control over) but she was totally upset by it and shaking for 30 minutes afterwards.  I think the fear of the husband is much more founded and realistic than a fear of earthquake-especially in Ohio. I have found by talking to the therapist that I have more difficulty with things I can have some affect or control over, but not completely.  Like the earthquake-what can I do about that?  but my health, and family health and safety I feel responsible to do anything and everything I can to ensure that.  But she is telling me I have to realease some of that and let those people take on that responsibilty themselves.  But I know better than everyone else.  Grin I could go on and on but I am sure we both should be doing other things!! Take care

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2007, 8:00am

It's not easy to let go, I worry about my family's health, like you said it's a natural response you can't help but care and try to help that other person.

I am still waiting for my CBT, I wish I could not get so nervous and anxious over things, as I'd be so much more confident, I know it's probably because always probably slightly anxious over something so when something else makes me anxious my body goes into overdrive (does that make any sense)

You can control your cholesterol by eating right and I think there is medication that can help lower it, not sure however.

I've got money worry's at the mo, trying to get a job, was meant to go for an interview this morning 5 hrs mon-thurs and 4 hrs on a fri, but no one will have the children in the holidays so couldn't do it.  Thinking of trying to do something where I work from home.

Speak to you soon

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #10 - Mar 16th, 2007, 2:04am

Before I post I know I have anxiety and this in turn is the cause of most of my symptoms.

However, I still find it really really strange how this all started after the birth of my 2nd child, she was 8lb 8oz, at the end of my pregnancy I couldn't lay down as if I did I'd have the most horrendos heart burn then I'd be sick, I was in labour for a while with her and then I had to be rushed to theatre, she was quite low as they could feel her head with their fingers, so they obviously had to lift her up to get her head out.  also at the end of my pregnancy she was right under my ribs all the time a good 4 ribs up counting the smallest lowest one.  Then in my pregnancy with my 3rd the bit across your stomach about level with your 3rd rib (from the bottom) it was sore and ached occasionally the whole way through and whilst haveing my c-section it really hurt, dull intense ache.  I know I go on about it and I not trying to find something thats not there, But it is strange how this all started then!  

Right I do not know about the human body (inside) so could it be possible that during the 2nd pregnancy that muscles were weakened and that what ever the vagus nerve is attached to is not as strong anymore so reacts more sensitively to normal body responses?

Also when someone has a baby naturally their body and insides are prepared thoughtout labour, but when you have a cesarian, your cut open and the baby is pulled out, so where the baby is pressing on organs and muscles (couldn't tell you which ones) and the baby is pulled out these suddenly are moved, Can't explain properly, erm, say you have  a ribbon and an object pressed up against it you suddenly move it the ribbon will drop suddenly but if you move it gradually it will come down slowly and not suddenly.  Surely this must cause shock waves through out your muscles that were supporting the baby, or the baby was supporting? I wasn't in labour with my son, well I had all of 2 contractions before I had my Emergency section, and my last I was booked in and  wasn't in labour at all.  What makes me laugh is they tell you not to do anything for 6 weeks no driving heavy lifting, (not even a kettle in the first few weeks) as you've just had big abdominal surgery, yet you still get the same post natal chesk as a women who has had a natural birth!  Also all my symptoms get worse and my anxiety neared my periods and occasionally when I ovulate.  Never had problems before I had children! (I know your body changes each time you have a baby) My scar also bruises regulary to.

I think what hasn't helped with the issues I've had with my heart is when I went for 15 week check when pregnant with my first she said I had a slight pregnancy heart murmur and that frightened me, until I spoke to my midwife who put my mind at rest.

Don't get me wrong, I know I have anxiety and react emotionally to things.  But I can't seem to get answers on the above. Surely I should have had a more thorough check, especially after my 3rd! I also got an infection in my scar with my 3rd and yet no proper check!

Sorry had these things in my head, probably have no relevance, but I need to be sure, I know I think far to much,  But like I said it's just strange coincidence that it all started around that time!

Thank you very much, I know I can be a complete pain in the rear  Roll Eyes

Hope you all ok, right must get motivated, housework doesn't do itself and children are off today as they have a "target sharing day"  basically it's a parents evening but the children have to have the day off school for them to do it in the day.  It's a nice day so not to bad.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print