Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
excercise (Read 6232 times)
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
excercise
Mar 15th, 2007, 5:38am

I have been doing 40 minutes on the eliptical machine-keeping my heartrate at a steady 140 bpm.  When I go into my 5 minutes of cooldown, still on the machine,  I notice my heartrate will climb to 160 in about 30 seconds and then start to steadily go down.  Any explaination for that? I use a chest strap that is programmed to the eliptical machine for heartrate.  Thanks

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: excercise
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2007, 8:00am

The increase in heart rate that accompanies exercise is due in part to a reduction in vagal tone and corresponding sympathetic activation. Recovery of the heart rate immediately after exercise is a function of vagal reactivation. A lot of research is underway to determine whether this is a prognostic indicator for several conditions.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2007, 8:24am

Is that something I should be concerned about?

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2007, 10:56am

sorry but another thought- could the vagas nerve being overstimulated and irritated due to anxiety not react as fast as normal or overreact to the start of a cool down.  After that initial increase in heartrate (20-30 seconds) within a minute my heart rate was down to 118. (about 90 seconds after start of cool down) I think I read somewhere that it was not unusual to have some palps after exercise as the heart tries to reregulate itself. I wonder if the machine picked up some extra beats right when I started to slow down? Thanks

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2007, 1:47pm by Beanie »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2007, 3:06pm

Okay, you're making reference to two different factors.

An initial increase in heart rate immediately following exercise is different from palpitations being experienced during the same timeframe. Palpitations are not recorded as increased heart rate.  

Research is underway to determine how many patients with a delayed vagus reactivation are significant for any problems. It does not mean that you're ill or that anything is necessarily wrong. I'm simply informing you of the studies underway on the phenomenon. We're still uncertain of the significance and continue to seek more data.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2007, 3:21pm

Thank you.  I thought maybe a palpitation would be recorded by the eliptical machine as a beat in addition to the regular beats.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print