Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bit freaked out, advice please. (Read 9906 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Bit freaked out, advice please.
Oct 05th, 2007, 12:57pm

Not been doing too bad these past two days, but today i got in the house and sat down.  Then i got up to do something and felt my normal dizziness and stupidly thought oh i'll check my bp i haven't done it all day.  So i sat down and took it and it was 109/51!!!  I had had some dinner so my pulse was nice and high anyway from a full stomach, but this diastolic bp really scared me.  I started to panic and sweat and of course my pulse went up even more, which i was not scared about at all i was so terrified of passing out!  Of course, feeling so scared that the dizziness got worse and worse and then i spent the next half an hour taking my bp to make sure that it wouldn't go that low again.  It didn't go that low again, just in the 60's which i am fine with.  Why did my bp so down so very low, it has never been that low before only down to 54 diastolic and that was after having a bath which i have heard is normal.  This has really frightened me and after this i was even too scared to get out of my chair!  I was warm, dont know if that made any difference, but i have been hot before and it didn't matter.  I am a thinker, unfortunately, and i always need reassurance and an explaination and i need to know why this happened, if it is serious and really as scary as i believe it is and if it will happen again.  I am really scared by this, please help.  Has anyone had a lower bp than this and been ok, should i be scared or am i ok?

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Re: Bit freaked out, advice please.
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007, 1:47am

Can't anyone give me any help on this, really scared by it.  Can't stop thinking about it and it frightens me.

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007, 4:24am

Okay, well first of all you can relax. As I've stated before, blood pressure is a very dynamic process and depending upon when you check it, the readings can vary greatly. Some people fear that their pressure can just continue to drop until non-existent and this is simply a false assumption.

You have to realize that you've decided that the reading indicates something is wrong simply because it doesn't appear to be normal for you. This is a misconception. I've seen plenty of folks with similar readings, particularly women, and there is nothing to indicate that it represents pathology of any kind. When your pressure is in this range, it can cause orthostatic responses when you stand too quickly, but this does not indicate that anything is wrong.

Depending upon the medications you are taking, this could have an effect on your blood pressure.

Again, I do not see anything here that would suggest a problem, but if you feel it warrants evaluation then by all means present yourself to your primary care physician. It is also important that you check your blood pressure only at one or two intervals per day and absolutely at the same time each day, after having sat down and relaxed for at least 15 minutes. This will provide you with a more accurate assessment of your average blood pressure.

Take a breath and relax. You're going to be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007, 5:06am

Hi Angie
How are you?
I just wanted to let you know that I was having a freak-out about low blood pressure a couple of months ago especially after I fainted in the shops. I had to do a test for my GP to reassure me - two readings a day at the same sort of time. My lower BP was often very low in fifties and he said that was all fine and should be for someone my age.

I am not worrying about that any more. I have fainted a few times in the past, but after having a test for this too - apparently I am just prone to fainting - my BP sometimes drops a little low but it is normal most of the time.

Bead x

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2007, 6:03am

My bp is normally in the 60's or 70's and has never been that low before anyway.  I have been worrying about this now since it happened as it has really scared me a lot.  
I have taken it again today and it has been fine, but i have taken it again now and it is 104/57.  I took it again and it was ok but when i took it again after that, like i say really freaked by this, it was 109/59.  I am sitting and have been for a little while but it never normally goes down that low.  However, when i move about or get up and sit down and take it again it has come up.  
Do you think it is because i might be a little more relaxed than normal or do you think that i have something to worry about, i am really scared by this.  Sorry to go on about it, just really concerned.

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2007, 6:52am

Hi angie
It might be because you are relaxed - it might not. It might be because you are warmer than usual, or not as active. I had a wide range of low readings and the doctor (who I ended up paying to see me) did not fob me off at all, but assured me that a wide range of readings is acceptable in a healthy individual.

I am having high readings now - which is more worrying. Low bp is quite good for you generally I believe, so try not to worry

xx

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2007, 9:43am

Thanks bead, it has really worried me.  But i am only getting these readings when i am sitting.  Although i am so scared by them that i have been taking my bp all the time since it happened.  Been going more lightheaded and fuzzy than usual and i do my bp and it is fine so i think it is all in my mind and probably from my neck.  I have been cleaning and tidying up today so it isn't because i am less active, but it could be because i was nice and warm and i might have been a bit more relaxed, body wise that is, still very anxious, depressed and panicky.  My pulse was in the 80's when my bp was in the 50's so i don't suppose i should be scared, but i can't help it.  When i was picking my son up from school i was convinced i was going to pass out, anxiety i know, but because of these readings it has made me worse, just keep thinking i will pass out and die.  And the overwhelming fear that i just cannot cope with it.  I know that i should be grateful of having a low resting bp perhaps, but it really just scares the hell out of me.  I am much happier with my 'normal' readings of in the 60's or 70's.  I think i would be ok if i had an explaination for it, but i don't and i don't feel that this is normal for me, but i keep reading back what RLR put and a site i found that says that a normal bp ranges FROM 90/50.  I keep hoping that it will make me feel better but unfortunately because of all my mental problems i think, i just cannot accept it.  I have been doing my bp whilst standing up and it is fine, in the 70's and pulse in the 100's which i have accepted as normal, and i have stood up quick and done it and it is the same.  So obviously my bp is not dropping when i stand up or when i am standing up even though i get the dizziness and fuzzy pressure filled head.  I have only had the low readings when i have been sitting down so i suppose that is acceptable isn't it?  Since i had that operation and developed PTSD i have had this terrible fear of fainting and with everything that i have been through recently and of course now these readings, i think my fear is turning into a phobia and i am finding it increasingly difficult just to leave the house now through the total fear and feeings of not coping.  I know that you have had low bp readings and have actually passed out bead so i really appreciate you talking to me and helping me through this.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2007, 2:52am

Oh - I have so been there with everything you are saying. It becomes an obsession. I am feeling very odd again at the moment so I am constantly fighting the urge to take my pulse or my blood pressure.

Have you ever fainted properly before? If not, it is probably really unlikely that you will any day soon. some people faint more readily than others because of the way their bodies just are. I have had this ever since I was a little girl - to do with seeing blood, people talking about operations in front of me, injections, smear tests, that kind of thing. But sometimes it just happens if I am out and have been standing a long time in a queue or something.

I have fainted a few times in my life and nearly fainted many times (ie started to black out but able sit or lie to get back to normal). If you are going to faint, you tend not to just go dizzy. It starts like that but then it is actually a lot more obvious, your hearing goes muffled, your eyesight goes black from the outer edges in, and you feel very cold and sweaty and sick. (Of course, I think you could get any of these things too and not be about to faint). But in combination you will faint if you stay upright. If you lie down you will soon go back to normal. You probably won't hurt yourself if you fall down because you go very floppy, and more than likely you will already be in a safe place as the warning signs are long enough to make you think, ooh, I don't feel well. Despite having fainted I don't quite live in fear of it happening every day, my real fear is that I might die.
(Well of course we are all going to die, but it's just that I don't feel ready to do that. )

What I am trying to say is don't be scared of fainting. You will be okay -it is a self protection mechanism. A pain in the backside if it were to happen, but you would be okay. People would rally round to help.

The other thing is... make sure you get out a little every day while you are feeling like this. I ended up not going out for ages because of anxiety, and every so often I can feel it sweeping over me again and I know it is not rational. ie. As my psychotherapist put it, if you are going to drop down dead, is it rational to think I don't want it to be in the street where there might be people around who could help / I'd rather be at home on my own when it happens / I'd rather be in my house / I'd rather I was alone? The thoughts are just fear and nothing else. We can't predict what is giong to happen.

And all this said, I really really understand how you feel. I have dizzy head at times that is beyond belief, and I still can't believe it hasn't led to something serious. And ectopics and racing heart that have scared me so badly. I really really assure you that you are not the only one who has felt this way. I am still living to tell the tale. Hard to believe that you can feel this rotten emotionally and physically and not have anything seriously wrong, I know. But look I am the same as you. And you do have reasons to be feeling worse than usual.

Have you done anything nice for yourself these past couple of weeks? Make sure you do, even if it's something small like invite a trusted friend over for tea (caffeine-free of course) and cakes!

bead xx

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2007, 5:12am

Thankyou so much bead!!
I know i am not alone, but sure feels like it don't it?
It is terrifying and i am getting to the stage where i just don't want to go through the front door as i think i am going to collapse, faint and die.  I haven't felt this bad in a long time but i think the anxiety of these low readings are in my mind and i can't get rid of them.  I have to leave the house but i am in such a state when i do.  I know this is my mental condition and probably nothing more but even trying to think that doesn't help.
I have 'nearly' fainted on a few occasions.  My earliest was when i was very little and i have the flu.  My mum took me to the doctors and she had her gas fire full on in her room and as i was sitting on my mum's knee i remember saying that i didn't feel very well and they promptly ushered me through the door, put my head between my knees and bought me some lucozade!
Then again i remember feeling 'funny' again when carrying my second child a couple of times and i had to sit down, but then i was fine again.
Then when i had my c. section over my third child, the spinal block made my bp plummet and they had to squeeze three bags of fluid in my I.V and then i felt fine again.  Of course i didn't get PTSD or anything after that because, i think, i was so pre-occupied with my new baby.
Then when i had my operation three years ago and the injections, they used about three or four, made my bp plummet again.  They threw me back in the chair and i came round a bit and then straight after it happened again.  Then happened again when i was going to the car and then again in the car.  So obviously because i happened more than twice, which is what people say, my body learnt this feeling and i developed PTSD from it.  So since then i have been scared of fainting but now i have had those three low readings i just can't forget it and it has become more scary to me.  I am trying to teach my body that when i feel a 'wave' come over me, where i think i will faint, that it is anxiety and panic and my bp will have gone up rather than gone down.  But i remember having this 'funny' wave of feeling come over me lots when i was at work and i used to bend down and pretend to pull my sock up or scratch my leg.  This was the same feeling, but what i really think it was was a wave of fear sweeping over me when in fact my bp would not have droppped at all.  But still scares the hell out of me as i don't like the feeling and it just reminds me of the op.  The other thing is what we say to ourselves, just thinking 'i don't feel very well', makes me go funny as this was the phrase that i used through both my op's.  I know this is silly but my body automatically goes into a panic if i just think this, but i also understand that this is normal.  I can feel a panic coming on now by just typing that!!
If i say it i think i am just going to collapse, faint and die right there and then and if i just think it, i feel so very ill and think 'this is it'!
I have bought myself a new outfit and i have had my nails done, i thought this might make me feel better, but it hasn't.
I just feel so bad at the moment, i think i have felt this bad before so i must have been improving before.  But obviously with losing my dad it has knocked me back, which i know is only natural.  But i think it is the rest of it that is keeping my anxiety so high, even though i don't feel like my anxiety is high, just feel so ill and am going to die at any moment.
I find it really hard to be near my mum and to go to the house.  Even just seeing his car is terrible.  I cannot look at his picture and mum has been sorting things out in the house and gives us things, that is very hard to.  Thoughts of how things used to be and how he was and what he did, even thinking that he would have been the last person to touch that, you know what i mean, very, very hard.  I know this is all natural and things are supposed to get better, but i can't see that far ahead.  Can't even see tomorrow as each day passes.  I can't look forward to anything and feel like my life is over.  I used to think that i would be too chicken to 'do anything' silly and i love my family too much anyway, but when you are feeling so very ill and so very scared, even those thoughts have entered my head on a regular basis now.   hate all the symptoms that we get and what it does to our bodies.  This morning i was getting the 'old' feelings of feeling so very ill, impending doom, terror and could feel the panic start to well up in me, the cold chills down my neck, shoulders and back.  The feeling 'funny' and not right, the unreality etc, etc.  I feel no hope at all times and find even getting out of the chair to be so very hard and frightening, this is no life at all.  Sorry to go on bead, i know i am not alone in this and i really appreciate the help you are giving me.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2007, 6:09am

Oh dear - you are having a rotten time with this aren't you. You know I resorted to taking citalopram, which hasn't got rid of the anxiety but it has taken the edge off some feelings I have about having anxiety and panic. The side effects were no picnic however.

Well from your posting you definitely know what it is like to faint and yes you probably have become afraid of this feeling - well actually not you, but your brain has. I panic from dizziness because it harks back to a time when I had unexplained dizziness with an eye problem which they told me might turn into multiple sclerosis. (It hasnt which they discovered when I had MRI scan just over a year ago.) So you are probably experiencing a learned reaction like me. I don't know how to get rid of it other than to keep going through it and eventually hopefully the brain will catch on that there is nothing wrong.

today I had a rather big panic attack picking my little boy up from preschool, just after I had emailed you earlier. It was awful. I was trying to talk to someone and waves of dizziness kept hitting me and I get this weird pins and needles sensation in my tongue (which makes me think I am about to have a stroke). so I am on a bit of downward spiral at the moment for no reason. I don't know why - this is the worst I have felt in ages since I started medication. I can't see any reason for it.

It helps though to know that others experience similar difficulties though. My GP said no-one is like this all their life though - which of course has been a big worry of mine. You will be okay too.

You are going through grief at the moment which is very hard for everyone, and especially someone like you who has been oversensitised by anxiety. It is going to hit you harder. If and when you can, try to make a point of remembering really good happy times with your dad. At first this might make you cry a lot, but eventually those memories won't be so poignant and sad, but lovely and cherished memories.

What would you really like to do? Is there anything you would really like to be able to do that you are not doing at the moment? What would cheer you up - other than getting rid of this horrible anxiety and all that entails? Doens't have to be anything big - perhaps going and getting your nails done is quite stressful in itself. eg. organise babysitter, hope you're not running late, hope you don't ruin the manicure immediately with the washing up! What about some nice treaty food that you can really enjoy at home? working up to a meal out? (Not that I go out for meals - I panic and feel ill every time. Even after going out for meals every lunch and night for a fortnight on holiday, I am still not cured of that!)

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2007, 10:35am

I really do appreciate you talking to me bead, i know you understand!
Yes, my brain has got this weird 'bug' and it won't let go and it is really driving me even more mad.  I do still have panic attacks also, but they are normally the reaction to a sensation or feeling more often than not.  I do get them for no reason what so ever but more rarely.  Normally it is the dizziness, fear of fainting, or unreality, fear of going mad, strange feelings that bring on the panic.  
I went to Morrisons with my hubby after i emailed you and it was awful!!!!
I managed to do the shopping but my legs were like jelly and i was shaking all over, haven't been like that for a while.  When i got to the meat section, just looking at the meat and hearing the butcher with his saw turned my stomach and i felt so sick i had to move away, i was so scared of fainting as the dizziness and unreality was bad too.  Is it normal to become so 'tickled stomached' too, i was never like that before, had a stomach of iron!  Now i am so sensitive to anything at all my stomach goes and i feel sick a lot of the time too.  I checked my bp when i got back to the car and it was fine.  It doesn't help when you feel so cloudy and spaced out too, that makes you think there is a problem with your bp anyway!
I have a mobile and if you want my number just let me know and i will pm it to you.
Thanks again beade, much appreciate you listening, reading, me moaning like this.x

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print