Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evoked potential test? (Read 3268 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Evoked potential test?
Nov 13th, 2007, 11:03am

Has anyone had one of these?  They put electrodes next to your eyes to test the nervous system and takes around 45 minutes.  It registers the information going from your eyes to your brain, the neurologist that i saw on Wednesday wants me to have this test and has already sent the appointment through for next week!!  She obviously wants me to have this test urgently.  I can't have it done next week as i am busy but i am scared about it.
It says in some instances i will be asked to look into a tv screen or at a flashing light.  Sometimes electrical pulses are used to stimulate nerves in the arms and legs.  Sometimes clicks are applied to the ears by headphones.  
I know that all of this will start off my symtoms big time and also probably a panic attack from the symptoms and i know that this is what they will be hoping, so that they can see what is going on, but i am scared and don't know if i can do it.  Anyone had one of these tests done?x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
saab

Re: Evoked potential test?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2007, 12:19pm

I haven't had this test, but I wouldn't necessarily put any significance on the fact that the appointment came straight through - I have had tests and thought I was being fast-tracked because they were worried, only to find that there just wasn't much of a waiting list for that particular procedure. Alternatively, if she knows you have health anxiety she may have asked for you to be seen quickly in order to have less time to worry about it.

I did a quick google and it doesn't sound so bad (but then it's not me going...) - I'm sure you will be fine and at least it will be another step towards a proper diagnosis. Best wishes.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2007, 12:48pm

Thanks Saab.  But knowing me i will get there and not be able to get out of the car, lol.  Don't think they would do it from my car would they? Pity, lol.x

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2007, 2:07pm

Okay, well I would relax regarding the test. I'm uncertain why you're being asked to undergo the test and typcially, we would ask patients to submit to such testing to confirm suspicions regarding nerve degredation. In other words, if something is causing the communication to break down between the nervous system and the muscles, then we can measure it using evoked potential monitoring.

I won't hold my breath for something to appear on the test and would more appropriately suggest the results will be negative across the board. You don't seem to have a history of symptoms or complaints that would suggest the need to run such a test, but it's not my place to challenge the direct interpretation of examination and evaluation by another neurologist. I would certainly proceed as your doctor recommends.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print