Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Have to get this out of my system (Read 3915 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Have to get this out of my system
Dec 17th, 2007, 3:04pm

Hi there
I have got to get this off my chest. I have just been out for the evening (good for me as a year ago I would never have dared) but have had the worst evenig.

I don't drink alcohol because it makes my palpitations worse and when someone asked why I didn't drink I thought I would just say simply was that I get palpitations and drink makes them worse. One of the girls in the crowd who I don't really know immediately started sympathising and asking what type of palpitations they were. And I told her it was a mixture of ectopics, sometimes an inappropriately racing heart, and another kind of AVNRT. I told her I had been told it was caused by stress and anxiety.

Oh yes she said to me - that's what I was told too and she then went on to tell me she nearly died. Asked about all kinds of tests and then said I could be slipping through the net because I hadn't had the test where they put something down your throat to check the back of your heart. she now has an implant to shock her heart if it goes wrong.

It goes against everything I have been told and she then told me that she was told she just had ectopics and stress, and then one day, not long after having her baby, went into heart failure and nearly died.

Needless to say I was completely in anxiety overdrive and proceeded to have a fainting spell. Kind of ruined my evening. Hardly the kind of positive experience I wanted to have so that next time I go out I have an easier time.

I am in two minds whether to post this because I don't want to spread fear but perhaps if RLR is there he can say that this girl was misguided in what she told me. she was the worst person I could have spoken to me and was rather cross and adamant that medics had missed her condition and fobbed her off. She is only early 30s and looked young and well to me, not overweight or a smoker or anything.

Slowly going nuts again,
bead x

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Have to get this out of my system
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007, 11:59am

Okay, you're going to have to use more sound logic and self-assurance when accepting information from lay persons about your condition. What this woman is describing is worlds apart from benign palpitations such as those you are experiencing. This person has an actual heart defect that I'll have to tell more accurately was not likely to have been misdiagnosed and carries with it a host of predisposing symptoms and diagnostic criteria that all must be present for the circumstances to be what they are in her particular case. She was only capable of describing her situation in layman terms and it doesn't take much for the person with anxiety to immediately make the leap to a direct comparison. You also must remember that very often, people who find themselves afflicted with such a difficult situation regrettably misrepresent their history and send others scurrying for help because they are quite angry inside that they have a condition that is sometimes lifelong and irreversible. Bitterness is not uncommon and blame is often misdirected. It's just human nature.

Your heart is not going to stop because of benign palpitations. You are going to have to read for comprehension when I discuss the issue here as I have previously. I'm not stating this in a tone to infer that I'm upset with you in any way, but you must pause and take careful note of what I'm saying here. Otherwise, you're doomed to continue repeating the error in perception again and again.

The type of rhythym disturbance you are encountering originates from outside the heart, via the Vagus nerve. Unlike persons with actual heart problems where the palpitations are a consequence of pathology, yours is merely an unintentional electrical impulse that is causing the heart to respond. Outside the realm of anxiety disorder and stress-related circumstances, it is an entirely normal event. I have described it many times using the examples quoted by normal and healthy people who have been suddenly frightened or startled.

Why do you think it is that people exclaim "My God, that made my heart skip a beat!" or "I nearly passed out!" or "It made me weak in the knees!" or "I was trying to scream, but I couldn't!" and so on and so on. These are all examples of the Vagus nerve working in concert with the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. In the case of persons with anxiety, the nervous system is under stress and irregular events occur which are felt as physical symptoms. This is happening in the absence of an event which the affected person can associate with the consequence and therefore, their fear suddenly takes control with no regulation about the possible causes.

So it's critical for you to understand that there is nothing actually wrong with your heart. Just because the symptom is associated with the heart, does not mean that your heart is damaged in any way whatsoever. This is your situation and it will never change. It will never cause you any harm. Your case is not something special or unique or hidden or even misdiagnosed. It's simple benign palpitations that are occurring due to anxiety disorder. Nothing more.

As I've told others, your circumstances cannot change based upon what someone describes to you. It's not possible. The only difficulty you're having is the inability to control your fears and a substantial lack of self-assurance.

Take a deep breath and relax. You've got a long life to live. Don't waste it thinking something may go wrong.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
saab

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007, 2:06pm

I totally sympathise. Whenever I hear of anyone with heart problems I immediately start on 'what if?' - what if I'm as ill as they are but it hasn't been spotted? etc etc. To be honest, just hearing of anyone my age or younger with a serious illness, sets me off being anxious - but, remember, this is part of our anxiety. 'Catastrophic' thinking, applying things that have happened to others to ourselves, being unable to think logically about our health - it is all part of the anxiety that our pvc's etc. have led to us to develop.

This lady probably had a congenital heart defect - she may have been told she had stress and pvc's, but I bet she hadn't had half as many ecg's, tests as you have had. Yes, people do slip through the net, but they are few and far between - you'll be thinking, "..but what if I'm the one..", well it could just as easily be me, or anyone else out of the thousands of people being seen on the NHS for heart related stuff. So, statistically, it is unlikely to be you. I haven't had an ecg for 3 years and I'm not worrying about what this lady told you.

The trouble is, when we hear stories like this, our logic totally deserts us and we can't help but think it will happen to us. I often think it is strange that we only expect bad stuff to happen - I never wake up expecting to have won on the lottery. The test she had sounds like a specific test  to confirm what they already thought she had - I have never heard of it as a rountine heart test. As RLR says, it sounds more like she was telling you her story for her benefit rather than yours.

It reminds me a bit of when I was on maternity leave, but due to go back to work - our son was only 3 months old when we were in a car accident. We weren't hurt, but a motorbike hit us head on at speed (biker recovered). The day after the accident I went to see a colleague and told her I wasn't sure I could return to work as planned. I told her about the accident, but she was pretty insistant that I actually had post-natal depression. I didn't at all - I was in shock from the accident (didn't realise it at the time). My point is, it turned out that she had had post-natal depression - she didn't want to accept that I didn't have the same as her.

I think the lady you met is a bit like my colleague - they have been through a terrible experience and that affects how they see things, ie. making a diagnosis for things which aren't there. Strangely, with my colleague I felt almost as though she wanted me to have PND - it would have made her feel better I think.

It is a bit like us really, except that while we constantly find things in our health to worry about, they find things in others.

I am sorry to ramble on, but I can imagine how this has upset you. My husband doesn't understand how reading/hearing about others illnesses can have any effect on me - quite rightly, he thinks What has it got to do with you? There are 65 million people in the UK who I haven't read/heard about today and whatever they are doing bears no relation to me whatsoever. Nothing that physically happens to them can affect me in any way. So why should the one that I do hear about about have any effect?

I hope you feel better soon. This is the kind of thing that can really set you back a bit with anxiety, but I hope you will come to look at it a bit more logically after a few days. Best wishes.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2007, 11:53am

thanks rlr and saab
Not at all offended by straight-talking, rlr! I am happy to hear what you have to say.
Actually I have today spoken to two really good friends who suggest the same as you that first she might not quite have her head round the complexities of what is wrong with her and got some facts wrong, and second that she is probably angry and on a crusade about it, without thinking that she might actually worry others.
Feeling a bit better today about it but still need to calm down more about it.
thanks to you both

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print