Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi guys (Read 5314 times)
kchendrix

I Love YaBB 2!

Maryland
Hi guys
Jan 17th, 2008, 6:28am

Sorry to be a pain, Normally I have been able to get this stuff through my head , but it's like every other night now I am loosing sleep.   Over the years I have had holter monitors, ekg's, stress tests and you would think I would be happy that nothing comes back that is serious.

I wrote earlier that My PVC's are more active and that I had a chest cold...   I also had written about GI problems I have had  that would cause my heart to race or pound...  and granted although a pulse of 95-110  may not be dangerous in and of itself , when you are trying to sleep well it becomes frustrating.

I have suffered with anxiety issues on and off over my life,  so I have some 5 MG Valium tablets.    It seems that I get this faster heart rate when I am laying down to go to sleep,  now  I know what anxiety and panic are, and I am not feeling anxious at the time, nor is it a panic attack.   I have tried eating earlier and not going to bed on a full stomach.  I have had an upper GI recently with no bad report.       So what has happened I will try and and lay there and deal with it , the faster pulse, however I can't get to sleep.   So I get frustrated with it.   By 2:30 Am  I am thinking I have to get to sleep ... I have work...  So I take a half of a 5 mg valium....    within minutes I am asleep.   Last night it happened again,   So this time I took a 1/4 of a valium  ... mind you these are only 5 MG  to start with.   within minutes I am asleep..  Now this has happen this since Saturday just about every other day.       That little bit of valium sure isn't putting me to sleep, but I think it takes the edge off enough to make me sleep.  

My point of the long post is that , If this was a serious electrical problem with my heart ,   I doubt that taking a small amount of valium would make it so I could sleep.    Thus i think I am prooving to myself that this is anxiety related.    But why can't I get it through my thick skull ,   why do I continue to torture myself into thinking , well maybe this is different.

Does my logic make any sense,  if this were something more significant  a little bit of valium wouldn't let me sleep.   But why does this continually seem to happen at night.. no matter how early I eat..

Sorry to go on and on,, but I am tired and becoming frustrated with this ...

Have a great day...

KC

If livin' don't come easy , don't stop your own voice, cause the worst part of living is having no choice. (America)
WWW   IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: Hi guys
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008, 8:32am

Hi there
I notice that you are in the States. So I think their policies are a little different to ours regarding medication. UK doctors are very reluctant to prescribe valium or old-fashioned anxiety medication because of how easy it is to become dependent on it. I'm not a doctor but I probably would think you should try other methods of getting to sleep rather than valium every night.

I do know the racing heart at bedtime thing. You can be sitting there very relaxed then go to lie down or even sometimes fall asleep and then whoosh from nowhere comes the speeding heart. I know this is not a panic attack - because it feels very different. I don't know why it is. Sometimes I get it a few nights in a row, then don't get it for another month or more. It's very weird. But you can get in a pattern of waiting for it to happen - and then it becomes anxiety making it more likely to happen.

Sorry if I am going on a bit but if your heart is only doing 100bpm that is not too fast or dangerous at all, and it could equally just be anxiety setting it off too. I don't think this is always the case. Anxiety may prolong it if it starts. I spent a while doing CBT on myself for sleep problems and now I rarely have probs sleeping. The thing that makes me think you are worrying about not sleeping is when you say" By 2:30 Am  I am thinking I have to get to sleep". You are saying you have to get sleep - I know you have to work the next day (don't we all Wink  ) but your body will take the sleep it needs. You just have to let it. Try not to care about the lack of sleep - honestly this works! As long as you are not drinking too much coffee before during the day your body actually wants to rest.

Take care
Hope you find this reply helpful. If you have done any CBT before you could analyse why not getting sleep worries you and realise that it is not worth worrying about because you will sleep eventually.

bead x

IP Logged
kchendrix

I Love YaBB 2!

Maryland
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008, 10:35am

Thanks for your response.   Yes by the time it is 2:30 AM I do start worry  which probably doesn't help....     My normal resting pulse is 76-78  ,   I guess when that pounding starts even though it isn't dangerous , it is bothersome, and then I put worry on top of it...   I do appreciate what you are saying and hopefully soon I will have all this behind me again.  

Best regards
KC

If livin' don't come easy , don't stop your own voice, cause the worst part of living is having no choice. (America)
WWW   IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008, 1:05pm

I do exactly the same myself. So I do sympathise.
Hope you have a better night tomorrow night - it isn't guaranteed to happen every night - it might just be a bad pattern for a little while.
All the best

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2008, 3:37pm

Hi Mr. Hendrix,

Your complaint is certainly a valid one. There is nothing wrong with the electroconductivity of your heart, particularly that would permit the valium to have a positive effect. The medication you speak of does not work in that manner.

As I've explained to many people visiting the site, physical symptoms do not have to have a direct one-to-one relationship with physical disease. As early as childhood, we're all conditioned to make that association because in most cases it's true. In the case of anxiety however, the same neural circuits that are affected during times of illness or disease, are the very same ones affected by anxiety and/or panic disorder. So how do you tell the difference you might ask? Well, the plain and simple answer is that you already have done so, but can't turn off the compulsory nature of anxiety to reinsert the question of "yea, but what if it's different this time?"

Well, in the word of gambling I'd say the odds are very high that such a question is very valid. But in the world of medicine it holds no truth and you should take careful note here of that fact. As physicians, we rely upon the highly predictable nature of the human body and the imposition upon it by illness and disease in order to effectively and efficiently provide treatment and even a cure in some cases.

So you simply can't allow your mind to take control over your sense of logic and after just having undergone repeated tests to search for an underlying physical cause for your symptoms, you are nevertheless compelled to feel insecure and uncertain because the symptoms continue despite the inability to locate a physical cause. The symptoms themselves are indeed physical in nature, but in this case not associated with physical disease. It's a fact.

You'll be fine. My suggestion is to possibly consider looking into the scope and intensity of your anxiety and whether this may be an avenue to explore for ways to diminish your symptoms. I think you'll find it to be productive and yield the kind of results you may be anticipating.

Incidentally, if you find yourself experiencing mild tachycardia, you can often bring relief by immersing your face into cold water and pressing very gently on your eyes for several minutes, which produces a response from something known as the dive reflex. It will slow your heart rate and you can even place a cold compress on your forehead to help extend the effects and relief often experienced. It's important to relax as well and realize that your heart is not suffering from any type of disease and it will not suddenly run wild if you by chance wish to try and ignore it. You'll be just fine.

Also, taking drugs like valium can produce paroxysmal effects upon the nervous system when the therapeutic benefit of the drug is not available. In other words, if the half-life of the drug wears off, you'll notice the increase in symptoms from your anxiety. This is why we don't ordinarily prescribe valium and similar medications for anxiety disorder. Care needs to be taken where use of certain medications for anxiety is concerned. Discussing alternatives with your primary care physician is a good option.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
kchendrix

I Love YaBB 2!

Maryland
Re: Thanks RLR
Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2008, 12:48pm

Thanks RLR, You are very generous to give you time to help us all out , and for this I thank God.  
I have been doing much better, and have decided just to trust what I have been told,  I haven't had to use any more valium.
I wanted to clear up why my Doc Gave me valium,  I had tried other medications such as, lexapro, Paxil, zoloft, and other meds.   Tried xanax also,  but had side effects from each one even after trying to stay on them at a very low dose and then moving up,  Some side effects were an even more disturbed sleep.     An old antidepressant seemed to really work, it was Elavil,  but then my liver enzymes went high.  So they took me off of that.    My Doctor knows me pretty well, and in fact most people with anxiety issues don't really want to take meds in the first place,  so I had run into a degree of difficulty 3 years ago and found that valium seemed to help me through ,  I had left over valium from that time, so I let my doc know this last time around that I had left overs, which showed him after three years I haven't abused them, only when I really needed them did I take them.  So he said throw the old ones away and wrote enough for just a couple of weeks.    So that is the only time I use them when I absolutely have to use them.    

Thanks again for your wise advice  I truly appreciate it..
KC

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print