Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Been for a run outside! (Read 4329 times)
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Been for a run outside!
Feb 11th, 2008, 5:00am

Hi there
Many of you will be familiar with my ongoing droning and worrying about my heart but my fitness regime is going from strength to strength. So there's hope for any of you who think you can't do it. Let's just say a year ago, I could hardly leave the house for anxiety.

Today during my gym session I was taken outside for a proper run and ran on and off for 20 minutes (about 12 mins running out of the total 20). I am so thrilled at my progress.

BIG BUT though, here I am three hours later and completely rested and my heart is whizzing along at 98bpm and loads of what feel like ectopics? -  shouldn't it have slowed down by now. I am feeling kind of light headed too. I don't really understand as I felt great after the run and didn't feel my heart doing anything weird during the run...

Is my heart always going to do weirdness like this after a run (has the run caused it) or is it that my heart has got a strange SVT that it keeps going into. I can't make it stop no matter how I relax. Of course, I have started to worry about it now.

bead

IP Logged
suzie
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Been for a run outside!
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2008, 5:27am

Hi Beadbabe

well done you have come such a long way when you say a year ago you wouldn't have been able to leave the house due to anxiety and now look at you !
I try to swim three times a week and sometimes I can do a swim and I am fine and other times like you get home and try to rest but heart still going fast and the ectopics are there. Like you I begin to worry - like I am at the moment because had a really good couple of weeks with very few palps and this week they have come back with a vengeance and I don't know why.

Our bodies are such strange things  - all I can say is don't let this stop you running - I think because of the way we are it comes into our head maybe should check my heart rate after running or swimming which I sometimes do and if it is very fast  I think my sub conscious makes it continue to be fast because my worry mode has set in.
Lets face it this area of our body is our most sensitive when it comes to anxious thoughts whereas with other people it can be other things.
Keep up the good work !

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2008, 8:51pm

It's important not to hold certain expectations about your body's response to exertion. The heart knows when to speed up and when it's appropriate to return to normal basal rate. You have to realize that your heart is only part of a vast number of changes taking place when you exercise or place the body under stress. A heart rate of 98 is not considered to be "whizzing" along and doesn't even constitute tachycardia.

Your making progess. Don't let your fears cause you to establish unwarranted expectations about your heart. Your heart will respond just fine and you should emphasize your progress without any reservations. There are none. You're doing fine. Just take your time getting used to exercise and then keep going until you reach your goals. Nothing is going to happen to you.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2008, 9:48am

Hi

You have done really well, although I have come on alot myself I still cannot bring myself to go running, not because of the excertion of as I excert myself in different ways, it may sound weird but by running the jolting of it seems to make my heart miss beats quite hard.  I had a simular experience to you just before christmas, we'd been out with a group of friends for dinner then onto a bar, I did some quite exertive dancing and my heart raced for ages and I was incredibly hot it took ages for my heart to slow a bit, but then I didn't give my usual time between eating and excerting myself, and maybe this is a normal response.  

Me and my husband want to start salsa dancing to get out fitness up.

I'm sure what you have experienced is perfectly normal, when my husband goes running his heart pounds for ages after and is faster than usual for quite a few hours.

Well done for the perserverance though.

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print