Pain (Read 2700 times)
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Pain
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:47pm

Hi

I have been getting sharp pains in my chest occasionally for a few weeks, I can feel them coming on and it's when I breath in I get this really sharp pain under my left breast and across my chest, I find myself breathing shallower as it hurts then I start to panic, although I manage to calm myself down and eventually it stops and I burp deeply for ages, but it leaves a bruised muscle type feeling under my left breast.

What could cause this?  Is it just wind?  I've had it on and of for years but at the time it is a bit off putting, and I'd just like to know what causes it.

Sorry just realised I should probably post this in the other section.  Smiley

Hope you are all ok

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Pain
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2008, 3:23pm

Hi Kathryn,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty, but good to hear from you. I recall you having this symptom prior to this occasion. The diaphragm muscle is situated just below the rib cage and it's actually not to difficult to cause a sprain injury to this area. Under exertion, the diaphragm stretches many times during a single day and helps the lungs expand and contract when you breathe.

The quality of pain subsequent to injuring the diagphragm is described as sharp and acute, rather than dull and continuous. Many people affected find it difficult to take an inspirational or deep breath and consequently, strive to do so in efforts to achieve comfort. This only serves to stretch the muscle further. It's sort of like spraining your ankle and forcing yourself to walk upon it thinking that it will get better under more strain. Additionally, pressure from trapped gas can press against the diaphragm, making even more difficult to breathe. Muscles that are sprained tend to spasm from time to time as well, likely explaining why you feel it "coming on" from time to time.  

In any event, this has nothing to do with your heart and pardon the pun but you can breathe easier. The pain will subside and you'll be fine.

Hope all is well for you and your family.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Re: Pain
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008, 12:38am

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

All is fine with us thank you and I hope all is well with yourself.

Kath x  Smiley

Kath x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print