Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New with a question. (Read 7506 times)
callbarn
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

New with a question.
Mar 03rd, 2008, 7:46am

I'm new to the forum and it's good to come across a place where I can share some of the problems I've been experiencing.

I've had (and still get) ectopics, flutters, other weird beats, chest pain etc.. This brought on lots of anxiety when someone I knew in their 20's dropped dead suddenly from an unknown heart problem. I had some ECGs, echocardiogram and blood tests etc.. where I was told that I'm fine and I need to stop worrying about it, although I still get off days I've largely put it out of my mind compared to before and try to get on with things the best I can.

There is something at the moment that is really bothering me, I can feel my heart pumping really strongly when I exercise or do something that gets it going. I don't mean by putting my hand some place and feeling for it, I mean just by standing or sitting still. I can feel it a bit in my chest, but it's mostly in my left side and down into the top of my leg, and in my lower back, it really pulses like something being squeezed inside me in tune with the pumping of my heart. Is it normal to feel the heart pulsing round the body like this? It's not something that has come on lately, as far as I know I've had it for years, but it does seem to be getting stronger and stronger. I did ask a few people if they felt the same sensations when exercising and I just received a weird look in return and a no.

I was thinking about going to the doctors again, but I don't want to go only to find out it is normal, if it isn't then I'll go ahead and make an appointment.

Cheers for any help. Good to be here. James Smiley

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: New with a question.
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:42am

hello
Welcome. I can feel my heart a lot of the time even when it is normal. I think it is awareness of the heartbeat rather than something wrong. You can't help but become more tuned in to your heart when you have these heart flutterings and ectopics going on.
I am sure someone else would back me up on this.
I am not normally aware of my heart at all during exercise unless it has gone off into a weird funny spell and then I do start to worry.
Take care
bead

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2008, 2:23pm

Hi there James.  I know what you mean exactly.  Bead is right that we are more intune with our hearts at the moment which doesn't help.  I only have to go upstairs and i can feel and 'hear' my heart beat in my head and ears too.  I don't like this, but i have been told that it is normal.  I filled the washer earlier and came back to sit down and my chest was heaving with my heart rate that much that my jumper was jumping, lol.  I don't like this feeling either so can understand how you feel.  Just try to distract myself when the is happens until it goes off.  Give the distraction a try and let us know how you get on.
Welcome to the forum, take care.xx

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2008, 1:01am

James - forgot to add that I feel the heart beating in my head and in my tummy (I think there is a big artery there - yukk! Just thinking about it make me feel sick.)
bead

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2008, 6:43pm

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum. First let's try and dispell some worry you have about the historical case you mentioned. People don't just "drop dead" from an unknown cause. A person experiencing sudden cardic death in their 20's is most likely due to something known as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, especially if they were athletic. Death of such a nature is actually never sudden, but rather has been inherent in these unfortunate individuals for quite some time. In any event, the case is never one to be held up as representing any point along the continuum for the consequences of anxiety disorders and associated physical symptoms, or even in the absence of anxiety for that matter. It's a very rare occurrance, not the common rule.

Typically, when acute chest pain occurs as a consequence of exerting the body and palpitations are observed, we tend to consider something called Wolf-Parkinson White Syndrome and it occurs with far more frequency in women than in men. But I seriously doubt that it's the case where your concerned and it presents a very characteristic pattern on ECG as well, so it would have been observed.

Some folks have abnormally strong pulses and it's not uncommon for them to be felt at various locations when under exertion. This is especially true if you are not conditioned or have a sedentary lifestyle. When the body is under exertion, there is a great demand for oxygen to the muscle tissues affected and the body in general. The heart and lungs must alter their course in order to meet these demands and cardiac force is elevated, along with heart rate.

Since the tests you mentioned returned negative, then I'm constrained to point out that negative represents no evidence of pathology or disease. So it's safe for you to relax and take it easy in several ways by building up stamina gradually and only exercising to the extent you achieve 85% of maximum heart rate potential. Your maximum heart rate (MHR) is the highest number of beats per minute your heart can reach during all-out effort. Because maximum heart rate decreases as you get older, a popular calculation used is: 220 - age = MHR

For example, a 25-year-old man would have an MHR of 220 - 25 = 195 beats per minute.

This is a good guideline to follow.

You'll be fine and I can certainly tell you here that I've received my fair share of questions about heart beats, heart rate, chest pain, palpitations, etc. from concerned patients. True heart disease is not a mystery by any means and the signs are unmistakable. You're not in that group, so take a deep breath and relax.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
callbarn
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2008, 2:23am

Thank you for the replies, the welcomes and the reassurance. It's really difficult to know what's normal, what isn't, what's anxiety. It doesn't help when you're constantly bombarded with scare stories either, plus I read a few things before where people had the tests and were told it's anxiety or panic and only for them to drop dead sometime after. Undecided

I believe the pulsing is coming from the main artery which passes through the body (the aorta?). I can always see it pulsing just below my sternum/top of abdomen, sometimes I can feel my pulse rocking my whole body when I'm still. I can also feel it sometimes in my head too bead. I'm fairly thin, though not really skinny, could this explain why my pulse is so obvious through my body? I think I am more intune with my heart, but other times I might not be thinking about it at all until the symptoms become noticeable, then it's hard to ignore. It doesn't take much to bring mine on either, angie!

Thanks for the detailed reply RLR, that really helped. The guy who dropped dead did have some warning signs beforehand, like putting on lots of weight and having chest pains, but then I think what if I'm getting warning signs now, I guess it comes down to not having much faith in the tests and the doctors opinions.

I'm trying to keep myself busy and distracted as much as possible, but there's always that niggling feeling in the back of my mind.

All the best. Smiley

James

IP Logged
david
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2008, 9:32pm

Quote:
I'm fairly thin, though not really skinny, could this explain why my pulse is so obvious through my body?

I have never had palpatations but I am 46yrs old, and slim as well and I have always had these sensations of feeling my pulse. Even while at rest my heart feels like it is pounding in my ears sometimes. If I am watching TV and lay the remote on my abdomen you can see it bouncing around. Smiley It took my wife quite some time to get used to it when we first got married Grin

The Administrator.
  IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2008, 2:23am

Hi
I agree with David. I am also thin bodied and I can always feel my heart beating at rest - it is very disconcerting and annoying, especially when it is not normal as you can feel it every time it goes wrong. I have been thinking that if you have less padding around you then the heart's beats are not so muffled, for want of a better word.

Bead

IP Logged
Kathryn
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

England - Great Britain
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2008, 12:05pm

Hi

I think a lot of people experience this, when my husband comes home from running (when he's on one of his I need to loose some weight moments) I can see his whole body move to his pulse, my sister said my brother in law's heart is always really strong that it vibrate's the bed!  I too am thin and I did occasionally get the pounding around my Aorta.

I think you are fine, it takes a long while to accept what you are being told my doctors etc..

Take care

Kath x

Kath x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2008, 7:17pm

The heart is one of the most powerful muscles in the body. In fact, some of the more recent and highly sophisticated security detection equipment is based upon detecting both movement and sound associated with the heart beat of persons attempting to conceal themselves.

Aside from the muscle being rather forceful, conditions subsequent to exercise can make the heart beat far more dramatic but it's not an indication of a problem. The abdominal aorta in many people can be observed pulsating as blood moves through it, particularly in thin persons. Again, not a sign of trouble.  Wink

You'll be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print