Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just an update. (Read 5373 times)
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Just an update.
May 22nd, 2008, 9:18am

Hi all, not been on here lately as been very busy, good and bad though, lol.
As you may have read on the other board, i don't have skin cancer, one thing out the way.
My eldest turned 18, and i feel older still lol, and we put on a show for her.  I did so well, although it was so very tough and scary.  My heart must have been going at 200bpm for about 4 hours and i had so many ectopics and multiple ectopics that i could not count them, but i did it and i have survived.  (Still flabergasts me that your heart can go through something like that, for such a long time, and not do you any damage!!)
She then proceeded two days later, to pass her motorbike test, i think i was more nervous than her, lol.
My youngest had two, stubborn milk teeth, taken out, again i think i was more scared than him.
And today my middle child has been into hospital all day and had a general anaesthetic to have a stubborn tooth removed.  I went to work and tried to distract myself and carry on, but it was so very difficult.  By the time i got home i was in such a state of anxiety and just burst into tears as i was so worried about him.  But this afternoon he was discharged and he is absolutely fine and dandy and has got a new skateboard out of it, lol.
So as you can see i have been through it just lately and have got through it, somehow, and am still here to tell the tale.
I haven't had any panic attacks, as such, just anxiety states though, lol.
Hopefully things should calm down a bit now.
I can't say that i am am anywhere near 'normal', lol, but i think i am on the way up which is good news.  I see a therapist and a councellor, hopefully that will help.  Still having the unreality, depersonalization, derealization, etc, but am trying to just ignore it and, finger's crossed, i think it is improving some.
I do still have this awful fear of my heart and my ectopics unfortunately, but i think this too is improving a little.  The show didn't help that as it promoted the state that i get scared of.  I was convinced that this was it, my time was up and there was no way that my heart could keep up with that for that long and not do any damage to me.  Anxiety was the biggest problem, of course, also rushing around didn't help either.  But i must say that the past few days, since then, have been a little better as my brain must have recognised that if i can go through that and live, i can go through anything, lol.xx

Angiebaby.x
It take a minute to get anxiety and a lifetime to get rid of it!!
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Just an update.
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008, 5:04pm

Well, that is indeed good news about your improvement. I think you'll find as time presses on that this type of condition will never damage your heart. You're always going to be fine in that regard. It's certainly frightening for some folks, but nevertheless harmless from a physical standpoint.

Continue to work closely with your therapists and you'll be amazed at the sort of progress you'll continue to encounter.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2008, 12:11pm

Thanks RLR and i know that you are here if i need more reassurance, which i know i will at some point, lol.xx
Just a quick question though.  I know what you will say about this, lol, but you know that i work in a nursing capacity in a GP surgery and have access to the ECG machine, of course.
I just wondered why when my heart rate is in the 70's or below that the reading says sinus arrhythmia or atrial fibrillation cannot be ruled out, although when my heart is doing more than that is says normal morphology and normal sinus rhythm?  When i had my 3 day holter monitor it showed, apparently, sinus arrhythmia which i know is normal and sinus taccycardia, again normal.  So this does not worry me at all, just curious why the machine picks up different things depending on the rate of my heart at the time.  Thankyou in advance.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2008, 5:29am

Any comments about this please? xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2008, 10:56am

Okay, once again there is some misconception about the manner in which diagnostic equipment derives any conclusion regarding input.

The algorithms that are loaded into the ECG are based upon signs associated with known pathological variants of cadiovascular disease.

The computer has absolutely no discretionary ability and can only utilize the data programmed into it. In other words, you can alter the location of the leads and the ECG can read it as things like atrio-ventricular conduction delay and left ventricular hypertrophy because the distance between the conduction points is used to measure known parameters. But that doesn't mean that the computer is right. See my point? Personally, I pay no attention whatsoever to the differentials provided by the equipment. It is there merely as a guideline and I base my evaluations strictly upon collective diagnostic criteria which has proven to be accurate.

Never place your trust in a machine. They were created by man as a convenience, not a replacement. Your heart is fine.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2008, 12:33pm

Thankyou RLR, once again.  I know i worry too much, that is why most of us are here anyway isn't it?  We are just lucky to have you to help us all through.
Just a thought.....  do you or have you ever had ectopic heart beats yourself?
Once again, thankyou for your time.xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2008, 3:32pm

Well, that question has been posed before and although I don't suffer from anxiety disorder or depression, I'm certain I've had occasion to experience a palpitation or two during my lifetime. As I've mentioned on several occasions, I was a combat pilot in the service prior to going into medicine and I can distinctly remember my heart skipping a beat or two when first engaging an enemy aircraft on several occasions. It's a normal response and frankly, I never gave it much thought.

But as testimony to their harmlessness, I'm still here at 83 young years of age and still walk every day, eat healthy and sleep soundly.

IP Logged
angiebaby
Gold Forum Member

england
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2008, 1:24pm

Thankyou so much for your answer and i am very happy to hear that you do so very well.  You are an inspiration to us all!! xx

Angiebaby.x
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print