Send Topic Print
fib (Read 3786 times)
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
fib
Oct 11th, 2008, 7:21pm

RLR,
I was on the Power Surge web site and read a post that said that a woman who was waiting in the Dr's Office  is now in ICU. She had recently had an echo, stress test, moniter, ekg, and was told every thing was good, and palps benign. She went into fib. and now is in a coma!  Since I had my heart cath, which came out ok, my palps are worse, and especially when I lay down. I wish that I had not read that post but I did and now I am concerned. The anxiety that comes with this  at one moment seems to be undercontrol and then one post and I am at square one. I was not like this until menopause and now I am a palper and a nervous nanny :'( As I said before I just want to raise my son!!!!
Glen

IP Logged
Beanie

I Love YaBB 2!

Ohio
Re: fib
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2008, 5:00pm

Hi Glen. I think sometimes it is a good idea to stay away from the computer and focus only on yourself and what you and your Dr.'s have discussed.  I did not read the post on Power Surge you referred to, but who know's what the whole medical history is on that woman and she is not you.  I found the more I can stay away from the computer the better.   Smiley

IP Logged
Glen

I Love YaBB 2!

mid-west
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008, 7:31pm

Beanie,
I know you are correct and thanks for the reminder. Stay well and stay intouch
Glen Roll Eyes

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2008, 7:55pm

Okay, I can't stress the fact enough that these "stories" and incidents are not associated with the type of palpitations being experienced by persons on this forum. Regardless of what anyone may subjectively believe, this type of palpitation is not capable of causing a cardiac event of any type. It's not physiologically possible

The person being described could not under any circumstances have experienced this type of outcome from benign palpitations. Over the years I've had countless patiens swear up and down that they heard of someone experiencing everything from a heart attack, stroke and even sudden death as a consequence of benign palpitations. When the facts of the situation are subsequently brought to light, however, it turns out to be something far and away different from mere palpitations. In truth, many of the patients had developed an unavoidable rumination that something terrible was going to happen and simply described the story in order to set their fears to rest and gain reassurance.  

Look, I've been a physician way too long and this sort of consequence is not possible. It just cannot happen and yet people become rigidly compelled to believe otherwise and spend the best years of their lives in morbid fear that catastrophy is just around the corner with the next run of palpitations. It's the fear that's causing the problem and I've gone to such great lengths to try and provide all the information necessary for persons to learn more about why these palpitations occur and more specifically, why they are not dangerous whatsoever.

Yet people do not take time to better understand and quell their subjective fears with logic and understanding, but rather continue to bash their heads against a brick wall seeking a physical cause where one just isn't present.

In order to move forward with your life, you absolutely must break free of the misconceptions you have regarding these palpitations. They do not have to capacity to cause you any physical harm and it is your fears that must be the focus here, not repeatedly challenging the boundaries of logic and probability.

Now again, this forum has a multitude of information necessary to set folks on track to learn about these palpitations and understand the cause, as well as the fact that they are harmless. They cannot change from a benign form to a pathological one, nor can they represent some bizarre or unique symptom that would indicate them to be anything other than benign palpitations.

The factor being avoided here is the unregulated fear and an underlying lack of self-confidence and feelings of loss of control over the situation. You must face these circumstances and begin to understand why you feel this way and how it can cause physical symptoms to appear that are misinterpreted as a sign of impending illness, disease or catastrophic event.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Happy
Forum Newbies

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2008, 7:53am

HI Glen,

I have read a lot on the Power Surge website also, and in books, and in newsletters, .......  It seems that those of us with heart palps read EVERYTHING that we can get our hands on!  Since going through menopause, I, too, have had an increase in symptoms, especially at night when I experience recurrent skipped beats. ( Last night was particularly awful, so I am on the website this morning, getting reassurance.  Undecided)  My symptoms have been with me since I was a teenager, but most prominent after the birth of my daughter 25 years ago.  And I am still here!   Wink There are those days when I doubt the diagnosis of MVP and think that there must be something else wrong.  The symptoms are just so annoying and frightening at times. But I always live to palp another day. So hang in there.  You are not alone!   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print