Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi, sorry to be a bore... (Read 4173 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Hi, sorry to be a bore...
Oct 15th, 2008, 2:05pm

about a year ago I contacted the forum about problems with muscle twitches and absolute panic when I googled clonus (turned out to be MND, MS, brain tumour...as it always seems to when I'm daft enough to google!).  Anyway, I was given an all clear by the neurologist, and he said he would see me again in the coming months for review.  Haven't had an appointment through yet, but for the last couple of weeks I've been plagued by muscle twitches, and I have been almost tripping myself by 'catching' my left foot as I walk, like tripping on something that's not there.  This was the same last year too, so it's not a new symptom and it hasn't happened continually - and I've not even been dwelling on it all year!  But you know how it is, you can't help worrying a bit, then it sort of creeps in and before you know it you're starting to panic again.... I have not allowed myself to go near google, but I would appreciate a bit of help from you all if you can! RLR, you have been such a help in the past - a nice shot of common sense would help no end.  I have contacted the hospital to find out when my appointment is likely to be, hope to hear before too long.  I'm really trying to keep a hold on my imagination this time!
All the best
Rosekay

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Hi, sorry to be a bore...
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008, 3:16pm

Okay, well let's see if we can sort some of this out for you. First of all, muscle twitches are not the same as fasciculations associated with neurodegenerative disesases like MND, ALS and so forth. The specific type of twitches with those diseases occurs because the nerve endings are losing communication with the muscle due to degeneration. This type of twitching also does not remit because once degeneration has occured to any extent, it only progresses to an ever-worsening stage.

Tripping that is associated with neurological diseases such as those mentioned is also progressive in nature with no remittance due to the nature of the degeneration. Patients with these diseases trip for several reasons; one is due to a type of gait that develops known as festination, wherein they appear to be trying to constantly speed ahead to keep their feet under them for normal ambulation. The second has to do with something known as a supranuclear gaze wherein the eyes will not track downward to the extent that objects or changes in the terrain can be detected. As a consequence, these patients trip over objects or sidewalks, curbs etc.

It's important to realize how vigilence to factors such as gait can interfere with the automaticity and natural stride associated with normal ambulation or movement. Cadence, rhythm, stride and balance can become mechanical and scuffing the toes or catching the front of the foot on the pavement or rug can be quite common.

Lastly, diseases of this type have both an insidious onset and are progressive in nature. In other words, over the past year, your symptoms would have constantly become more florid in nature and the characteristic signs would be unmistakable at this point. It's also important to realize that a symptom here or there does not constitute the disease of concern. Neurological diseases in particular are readily diagnosed based upon the company that certain signs and symptoms keep. In other words, a symptom means very little unless it appears in the presence of multiple other signs and symptoms characteristic for the specific neurological disease, disorder or syndrome.

Space-occupying masses like brain tumors demonstrate their presence in the form of signs and symptoms that are subsequent to the effect the tumor has on the region of the brain that it's occupying and again, is recognized by a host of signs and not a mere symptom here or there that exists in the list. It simply doesn't work like that.

You'll be fine and your tests will be unremarkable. You should begin practicing thought habits about what good fortune may bring your way rather than the entirely counterproductive ruminations about everything that could go wrong.

Life is meant to be looked upon with anxious excitement, never apprehension. Take your husband's credit card and go buy yourself a new outfit and hit the town with the girls for a few hours, laugh and enjoy.

Best regards and Good Health

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2008, 6:17pm by RLR »  

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Re: Hi, sorry to be a bore...
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2008, 10:49am

Dear RLR
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply to my post, it has helped very much.  I really had made an effort not to worry about things so much, and I was doing pretty well - your excellent advice about the skipping heartbeats, for example, has put an end to literally years of living in terror of it.  I could never get a reply from the docs other than the palps were benign, but I really needed to know why it was happening.  Since your explanations, I have felt so much better.  I still get the things sometimes, but not so much, and I don't panic any more (well, maybe a tiny blip every now and then!  Roll Eyes ).  I feel very reassured, and very grateful that you bother to make so many of us feel so much better.  Thank you so much.
Rosekay

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print