HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help! Am scared :( (Read 8986 times)
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Help! Am scared :(
Oct 23rd, 2008, 12:46pm

I am almost 26 and remember first getting palpitations - ectopic beats, which I was 16. However for the past 3 months I have had them every day Sad - missed beats, thump in chest, anything from 2-30 a day. Sometimes in runs, mostly isolated. Docs dismissed it at first but I went a month or so ago as it was getting so frequent. I had a blood test (thyroid etc) and an ecg - normal. But I didn't get any ectopics while on the ecg. Doc said hold-off on a 24hr monitor....thinks its stress/stimulants. But I still get them all the time 0 just now had a huge run and I am scared witless. I can't live like this, they come when I think I am relaxed and scare me and ruin my day....I am worried I have something wrong with my heart - can anyone help? Should I go back to the doctors? I don't have time, work hard etc... I just hate them, they feel so scary, not painful exactly but uncomfortable, slightly pinchy - help Sad

IP Logged
neenee
Forum Newbies

USA
Re: Help! Am scared :(
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 3:49pm

Welcome! I am also 26 and am getting palps everyday and have been for about 4 years now. I know exactly how you feel! I would say that you should get the 24 hr monitor just to be sure everything is normal. They are very scary and so hard to ignore, but that is what you should try to do! There is nothing wrong with getting a complete workup by the docs just to make sure you are ok. Once you get the OK from the docs it makes them a bit easier to deal with. Just a bitSmiley
Hope you find some relief soon!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 7:16pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. Realize that when you feel that you're relaxed, parasympathetic activity is increased. The vagus nerve in this context, provides inappropriate parasympathetic stimulus to the heart.

A run of benign palpitations is not uncommon at all and is likely due to body position relative to activity at the level of the GI tract. Changes in body position often truncate the stimulus and the palpitations cease.

It's important for you to understand that this type of event has absolutely no ability to interfere with the normal function of the heart, although it may feel quite strange to you. The fear which arises most in people who suffer with palpitations of this type is that the heart is going to stop, or at the very least cause a cardiac event of some type.

By example, if you've ever experienced an eye twitch that seems to remain present for several hours, despite rubbing it, the nervous stimulation of the heart by the vagus nerve is quite similar. The effect is far more dramatic only because the heart is an extremely dynamic organ and muscle which is constantly in motion.

You're going to be just fine. You stated that your doctor mentioned stimulants. Realize that the effects of caffeinated beverages or food stuffs that contain caffeine such as chocolate, can be extremely dramatic and have a direct effect upon the onset and frequency of benign palpitations. Moderation or elimination altogether would be advisable if the palpitations are causing intense levels of discomfort.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:29pm

Thank you for replying. There seems to be no consistency with my ectopics Sad - I get them when nervous - but then sometimes I am very stressed and nervous and don't get them at all! Mostly I get them when I "think" I am relaxed. Yesterday, for example, I got the run as I was walking home after dinner Sad

I am in a vicious cycle of expecting them every day now, and they don't disappoint. I don't really have time to go back to the doctors at the moment, but if people think it is really necessary, maybe I should? To be honest, I don't think it is caffeine that affects me... but I suppose I could have a delayed reaction. I just dont know any more, when I was at uni etc they used to go for weeks/months. Since I started work they have got gradually worse and more noticeable  :'(

IP Logged
Rachey

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2008, 12:30am

you say you dont think its the caffine that affects you....can i just say,,, if u are a palp sufferer then do stay away from caffine it does affect you its impossible not to ,its a stimulant...switch to the decafe....tea is just as bad.... and chocolate I have had to give that up as when i ate choc i would get a run of mega fast beats for about  6  beats..... no choc, no beats xxx just try hun xxx Kiss Kiss

IP Logged
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2008, 12:58am

Thanks - I will try but I haven't noticed anything - unless it can affect you like 10 hours after you have had something?

I just worry I am going to drop down dead/have an undiagnosed heart defect Sad - when I had my ecg I didn't get any ectopics at the time, plus I think my GP just looked at it, not sure a cardiologist did... sorry I know I am waffling. I just want them to go back to being like once a month, not lots daily. I try and tell myself I am more stressed generally, live amore hectic lifestyle than I did back then in uni (when I had them less) but I get worried cos I feel I get them when I think I am relaxed...

IP Logged
Rachey

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2008, 12:57am

well if you had a defect they would tell even from a ecg without you havng any....  it can be hormones hun.... i think my latest run this yr is def stress after my sister was sat on the sofa next to my father in my other  sisters house and she just dropped  dead... wiv heart failure BUT she had a heart defect through self abuse and a desese she had which affected the valves of her heart....but of course i thik this is gonna happen to me..but her symptoms were different, breathlessnes and her lungs filling with fluid all the time, never ectopics! your subconcious mind does all sorts to your body regarding stress  xxx  you are stressing about your ectopics...thats why your here,,,, which causes more! Shocked

IP Logged
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2008, 5:34am

Hello RLR,

I had a good few days and now I am having a bad few days - is it normal for the ectopic beats/PVC's to pinch a little? Not excatly pain but very uncomfortable and make me sit up and take notice! It worries be as often I get the thump, quite hard and sometimes, more when I am walking it is more pinchy. I just seem to get them for no reason and everyday... and I get ones which I don't feel but I feel them in my pulse.. I am so confused as to whether I should go back to docs and spend time getting them to give me a 24 hr monitor or accept what they told me, that is is probably just stress/something I get.... what do you think rlr? Surely if I had a heart defect Id know by now - I don't get breathless (well I think I do, but that might just be me being unfit and panicking) and I don't get dizzy etc....

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2008, 4:03pm

Experiencing a pinching sensation is a common complaint by patients suffering from benign palpitations. It does not represent anything problematic and it's important for you to realize that the anxiety induced by the palpitations is largely responsible for their persistence in many cases.

At some point, you'll have to move away from the notion that your symptoms are associated with some type of underlying heart problem and realize that they are being induced by merely parasympathetic stimulation. It's sort of the equivalent of a muscle spasm. Nothing more.

You'll be just fine. Take some time to better understand precisely how this type of palpitation occurs and it will help you to realize that no harm whatsoever can come to you as a consequence of their presence.

IP Logged
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:01pm

Thanks for replying RLR, I really appreciate it. This "pain" and pinch is a new sensation for me, is this something I should go back and mention to my doctor? It really pulls me up short because it is short and sharp - the pinch is intense but very very brief... - Is this a spasm of the heart muscle? Or nerve related?

Many thanks,

Miss L

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #10 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 3:23pm

This is related to chest wall pain and does not constitute heart pain.

Again, your symptoms are not associated with heart disease of any type. It's important for you to begin to understand this concept.

IP Logged
kiwiblue

I Love YaBB 2!

San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #11 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 4:25pm

Thanks, RLR for you reply re the pinching.  I have had that on and off for years.  It helps to settle my mind even more.   Wink

IP Logged
MissL

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #12 - Nov 6th, 2008, 6:45am

That's reassuring RLR - this is a new symptom for me. So when do you know something sinister is going on? I just can't fathom how I can getting these everyday now, when they used to be less frequent - I can't rationalise how this increase in frequency can't be a sinister sign... thanks

Miss L

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print