Send Topic Print
Information on ECG (Read 2211 times)
Vicky
Forum Newbies

Essex, UK
Information on ECG
Nov 13th, 2008, 12:50pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and would like to say firstly, how wonderful this site is.

I am 24 years old and have been suffering with panic attacks and ectopic heartbeats/palpitations for just over a year now.

Last August I had lots of tests done which included bloods, sugars, BP, urine and 3 ECG's.

All of my tests come back negative and the doctor very kindly told me that I was fine and really needed to address my panic attacks in order to feel better.

I have addressed my panic attacks over the last year by exercise, relaxation and eating well. I am very proud to say that I have finally managed to get a grip with my panic attacks and have pretty much got my life back  Grin

However, I still suffer from these horrid palpitations. I try and ignore them and have read the posts on here about ectopics but I get frustrated that they are still happening.

My question today (after that long rambling piece of text!) is about the ECG's I had last year.

I dont really know how an ECG works and what it can tell a doctor. The doctor who did my ECG said that although my heart was beating fast (137bpm) it appeared to be fine. This is very well, but during the ECG's I had I didnt have any ectopic beats. Not one single one!

I am worried that the ECG has missed something and wondering if I should go back for another test to try and catch these horrid beats on an ECG?

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated  Smiley

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to your replies

Vicky

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Information on ECG
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008, 4:47pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

What we can derive from the ECG is sort of a 360 degree electrical equivalent of the heart, a sort of electrical hologram if you will. In other words, as signals pass through the various sections of the heart, we can tell by the speed, frequency and intensity whether problems may exist. It's an excellent diagnostic tool for screening purposes. Realize that while there are a tremendous array of diagnostic avenues to proceed in determining the presence of heart disease or problems, it does not begin to even suggest that the ECG would possess an inferior ability to screen for problems. We use more sophisticated equipment in order to more accurately define what the ECG suggests.

It is not uncommon at all for benign palpitations such as those you are experiencing to become absent on evaluation. There are several reasons, but the most prominent has to do with the fact that your sympathetic nervous system during this time is elevated and predominates over the parasympathetic drives responsible in part for the appearance of the palpitation events. The secondary reason is that patients feel a rather simultaneous sense of safety in the hands of their physician since the anxiety produced is centered upon the prospect that a cardiac event of some type is likely to occur in the absence of immediate and available help.

Also understand that we do not need to "see" the palpitations in order to define them. We're looking at a great number of events all occuring on the ECG that have nothing to do with the presence of palpitations, but rather the possible presence of a heart problem that could be causing them. In the absence of any such signs, the palpitations are benign as is the case where you're concerned. Equipment such as the ECG does not "miss" something hidden. Heart disease is extremely easy to detect with the various equipment because it is designed based upon technical data from true heart disease of every type imaginable. If there is no evidence of signs matching this data or criteria, then there is no heart disease or problem.

The greatest hurdle for folks with anxiety or panic disorder to overcome wherein palpitations are among the symptoms is to understand that physical symptoms can arise in the total absence of physical disease. This is something you must come to better understand because you will otherwise find yourself on a bitter and endless search simply because you are compelled to believe otherwise.

Your heart is fine and you are free from any heart disease, confirmed by the tests. This should bring you great comfort since it takes many decades for heart disease to develop if you have the necessary risk factors. At your age, I must tell you that it's not a consideration to even ponder for the next 40 or 50 years.

It's also important for you to better understand from a physiological standpoint exactly what is taking place when palpitations occur so that you will see that they are not only harmless, but incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event whatsoever. As I've stated countless times on the forum, in more than 40 years of practice, I've never even heard of a person suffering any type of cardiac event whatsoever as a consequence of the presence of the type of palpitations you are experiencing, regardless of their intensity or frequency. Not even once.

You're going to be just fine. Again, welcome to the forum and feel free to chat with a long list of members who share your symptoms. They are a great group of people and are always ready to spend time with support and general discussion.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print