Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RLR I am scared senseless this morning. Help! (Read 7101 times)
Siamouno

I Love YaBB 2!

RLR I am scared senseless this morning. Help!
Jan 03rd, 2009, 4:28am

I had just showered and dressed this morning and was fixing my hair, and I had the most awful palpitation ever! It was one of those "quivering" kind, where my heart skipped and then fluttered and didn't feel like it was going to get back into it's normal rhythm. Of course I got frightened, and I felt very hot and then broke out into a sweat and felt shaky and just a bit lightheaded. Of course, my heart started beating normally again, even though I was sure it was not going to, and in five minutes there was no more sweat at all. I am in menopause and have been having a lot of hot flashes lately but I have never really sweated with them. I have read on a menopause board that you can have palps either before or after a hot flash though. So I am wondering if this palp episode was just a variant of a hot flash, or if I need to be concerned. My husband is out of town, and I am alone this weekend, which of course makes it worse. I though for sure I was going to drop dead this morning because this episode was so frightening....I desperately need some reassurance. Please. This happened about a half hour ago....I think I am fine now but am of course terrified it will happen again....
:'( :'(

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Re: RLR I am scared senseless this morning. Help!
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:13am

Hi there
I'm not rlr!
You are fine now though, aren't you? You have just had a horrible scary experience. I am not qualified to say if it is a menopausal episode you have had, but it could equally be a panic episode. And it is a bit chicken and egg with those. You had the palpitations then were scared. You can have sweating with anxiety and panic too. I hope you feel better now...

If it's any consolation I had a funny lightheaded turn with sweating and odd heartbeats yesterday which then led to my hands shaking for about 15 mins. I am pretty sure it was a full-blown long duration panic attack for me (I haven't had one of those for over a year), so it did take me off my guard and was all the worse for it. I struggled to make myself a cup of tea (non caffeine) and peanut butter and jam toastie while it was happening, to make sure it wasn't because I was hungry, and eventually felt better. These things do floor you, but the longer away in time you get from them, the more you can see them for what they are.

Hope you are okay now. I know i am not rlr, but thought I would reply in case he is not around and you sounded so scared.

big hugs
bead

IP Logged
Siamouno

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:40am

Beadbabe,

Thank you so much for responding. I do seem to feel okay now although I am afraid of it happening again and the fact that I am alone this weekend isn't helping. Have you ever had those quivering kind of palps? I don't mind a skip here and there, I am used to those, but these kind, the ones that feel like your heart is not even beating, but just quivering in your chest, those are so frightening!! My grandmother used to have them, and she described them as a fish flopping around in her chest. That's a good description I think. She had palps all her life and lived to be 87...she just passed away this past April.....

I just hope the rest of the day is okay....so far, so good although I am too scared to go anywhere or do anything today....

Tina

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 6:20am

Hi there
Yes, I have had this and it has been caught on tape and they were not worried because it is self limiting and doesn't last long. Sound like yours? It probably won't happen again today so don't wait about for it to happen!

You might be feeling worse because your other half is away - I always find that to be the case with me too. there is a negative part of me that worries more about something bad happening because he is away - which of course is impossible. I try to register that when my husband is away on business that that is possibly why I have occasions when I feel worse than usual (have worse symptoms than usual).

You're alright!
bead x

IP Logged
Siamouno

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 6:28am

I have never had one of the fluttery variety of palps caught on EKG or on a monitor. But you are right, these kind are always sef limiting and don't last very long at all. It just FEELS like an eternity when you are having one of these kinds of palpitations.

I am sure that the fact that my husband is out of town is making things worse. I am more anxious when I am alone and I guess it makes sense that I might have this happen since I am all tense and nervous.

I still feel okay, but can't seem to stop crying. My husband called me a bit ago and I told him about it and he was rather abrupt with me and told me to stop worrying about it and learn to handle it better. That didn't help me. I needed his understanding and reassurance and didn't get it.

If you would like to kee in touch via email I can PM you my email address. It would be nice to have someone to talk to about these awful palps....

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 5:12pm

Listen, you're going to be just fine. Realize that this type of event is extremely dynamic and regardless of whether you may have experienced it before in quite the same manner, it nevertheless represents a physically harmless event. It is unable to cause your heart to stop beating. It just doesn't happen that way.

Many times, people who are standing at the mirror and preparing their hair will unwittingly pause or otherwise alter their breathing patterns while their arms are extended up overhead or working closely about the head. It is not uncommon for you to experience a palpitation event during such times and it has caused some persons to feel rather faint for a few moments.

There is no reason to cry. The palpitations can never harm you and you must at some point begin to perceive them differently through a better understanding of precisely what is physically taking place when they occur.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 7:05pm

Hugs Tina...

I know you are scared...  But you know what?  You lived.  You will keep living regardless of the way these palpitations feel.  I know they feel just awful at times and we worry when they change in any way.  Because for us change means, something is wrong.  That is not true though whatsoever.  Palpitations can cause so many different feelings.

For instance...  The other night I was laying in bed.  Trying to fall asleep.  I was feeling my pulse because my heart just didn't feel right.  Well, when I felt it, there was nothing for like 5 seconds, then it kicked in a strong beat and I felt a jolt go through my head.  Talk about scary!  Here I have been handling these pvc's well, regardless of the frequency, which is STILL every 3-4-5 beats all day, everyday, with some breaks in between, BUT then that feeling like my heart stopped which seemed like an eternity, had me worried.

THEN I got to thinking....  Well, I survived it, and nothing bad happened.  So I had 2 choices.  

1.  I could have sat awake scared and worried if it would happen again and ruin my whole night and be irritable the next day because I didn't get any sleep with worrying and thus, cause MORE pvc's.

OR....

2.  I could worry a bit, but then tell myself, "I am OK, and nothing bad happened regardless of the sensation."

I chose #2.   Of course, it takes time to train your thought patterns and lessen the anxiety over these, but I chose #2 because I decided I will be fine and I was and am.  I drifted off to sleep shortly after and that was that!

You will be OK, Tina.  I know its so hard to think otherwise at times when you feel these, but keep reminding yourself that these are benign, that anxiety WILL make them worse and that you have been thoroughly checked out and your heart is healthy!

I have had times when my husband was out of town in the midst of when these PVC's, or rather "my mind in dealing with the pvc's and worrying constantly" and I know that when I had them in this frequency I would cry and call my husband for reassurance.  Like your husband, mine said:

"Steph, stop worrying!  The Dr said you are fine and the Dr. on the website (RLR) said you are OK and those are benign, so stop worrying, nothing bad will happen to you."  Well, over time he got sick and tired of repeating himself.  I can't blame him really.  I mean, sure once in awhile I still like reassurance, especially during bad moments, but in all reality he is right!!  He sees things logically when I am not feeling logical.  He does not get palpitations, but he is looking from the outside and has seen me worry over and over again.  So he understands what the my Cardiologist has said, and I have read to him a couple posts that RLR wrote me and he says:

"makes perfect sense to me."  It makes sense, perfect sense to others who feel more logical.  Us with anxiety have a hard time believing in the logical truth.  And that is where the problem lies....

We must not worry endlessly about the palpitations.  

Some advice I have for you in dealing with these...

1.  When you get a pvc(s), try DISTRACTING yourself.  Seriously...  It really, really helps.  Even when I am getting pvc's every other beat (beat, pvc, beat, pvc, beat, pvc and on and on) instead of sitting down focusing on them, I get up, clean the house, or do whatever, but I do not focus on them.  WHY?  What would thay solve?

2.  Try deep breathing..  it helps too!  Focus on something that makes you feel happy.  I know that sounds corny, but try it!  I focus on the beach and walking in the soft sand and the warm breeze on my face... etc....

3.  Work on the anxiety.  We all have it!  Give your fear a name..  And DEVALUE IT!  Do not let your fears rule your life!

And lastly.  HUGS...  We have all been where you are.  and we got through it.  I still get angry and scared at these..  But mostly I just go on with my life regardless of their constant companion.  I figure I have had the testing, all was fine..  Now it's time to move on.

Am I ALOWED to get upset?  Why sure..  It's not a sin to get upset.  We have feelings.  We cry..  We scream...  We feel anxious....  It's not the end of the world.

BUT we also know how to work it out.  We can sit and cry all day if we choose.  Get so anxious we make our symptoms worse...  We can feel sorry for ourselves..  Sure we can do ALL that.

BUT that is not truly living....  We must learn and retrain ourselves HOW to LIVE a happy life and not be scared all the time.

When we can do that we are living again.

I choose to live again.

Worry is no fun.  Palpitations are no fun.  We control more than we think.  

take care and vent all you need to.  Noone is here to judge and we certainly care.  No question is stupid.  

Love,

steff

IP Logged
Siamouno

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2009, 2:55am

RLR and Steff,

Thank you so much for the reassurance. I am sorry to be such a scared baby when this happens. After that very scary weird palp yesterday I was fine the rest of the day, although I stayed scared. But you are right, I lived. I feel for all of you that have high frequency palps. That has only happened to me a couple of times over the years, but I remember how frightening it was and how hard it was to deal with. I admire how you are able to deal with it. I am blessed, my palps are just a few a day most of the time, with the occasional scary fluttery kind like yesterday, where it feels like you have no pulse and your heart is just quivering and not beating....

RLR, I do have a question as far as testing goes. I have never been to a cardiologist for my palpitations. I have over the years been to the ER more times that I can count, and I have had numerous EKG's and been monitored for hours at a time and was always told I had benign PVC's. Then I had three surgeries in 2007 and my heart was monitored during anesthesia of course and I did just fine. And I have had the holter monitor a couple of times over the years. But, I have never had an echocardiogram, or a stress test. None of the drs. ever felt it was necessary. Do I need further testing or are the numerous EKG's and monitoring and holters I have had adequate enough? I must say that I really don't want a stress test. Just the thought of that scares me. I don't like to feel my heart beating fast because it reminds me of the times I have had tachycardia,  so getting on the treadmill would present a problem for me.

IP Logged
beadbabe
Gold Forum Member

UK
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2009, 3:41am

Hi there
Feeling better today? I hope so.
A stress test is in fact nothing to worry about - when your heart beats fast because it is meant to (eg. exercise) you don't even notice it and it doesn't feel weird because it is doing what it is suppposed to. you may get some weird beats and you may notice those, but you may not because you are in motion. Aren't palpitations always felt the most when you are sitting till, or lying in bed.

What Steff says about distraction is what I try to do... if you distract yourself you can find something  more interesting and fun to get engaged in. Okay, it might be just housework, but it's more useful to you than palpitations worries.

A stress test is fine - you would be completely safe. I hesitate to say you should ask for one to put your mind at rest, because I have a feeling that you will have one and then just find something further to worry about. (Because if you are a worrier about your heart, then it's almost a compulsion to worry.) But if you really really think it is worth having a stress test you could go for it but you do need to draw a line under it all then. But you haven't been sent for one because your doctors don't think you need it - HURRAH!

bead x

IP Logged
Steff1573

I Love YaBB 2!

Montana
Reply #9 - Jan 4th, 2009, 6:45am

Good Morning Tina...

Please do not apologize for being scared.  We all get scared and its nothing to be ashamed about.  

Testing...  Now that is the tricky part when it comes to these palpitations and for us with anxiety over them.  Beadbabe is right in that if you get testing you will find something else to worry about.

I know when I was at my worst I wanted the testing done.  I was sure they would find something, at least something!  Nope.  Only thing they found was slight mitral regurgitation which most people have because the testing equipment is so sensitive and right on it picks up everything, any minor detail.

After all the testing, I STILL worried.  What if they missed something?  What if my symptoms were not as bad during testing, etc...  Point is that after all the reassurance that my heart was fine, I found something else to worry about.  Something else to not believe.

And I became frustrated.  Why would I get these and my heart be FINE?  It's just not possible I thought.  Well, it is possible to have these and your heart be just fine.  About half of people get these, whether they have 1 a day or thousands a day.  Not all people feel them like we do.  Some folks go in for a routine check-up and the pvc's are only discovered because the physician or nurse was taking the patients pulse.  The Dr will ask..  "Do you feel anything unusual with your pulse?"  The patient will say, "No, not at all, why?"  The Dr. will say, "Oh its nothing to worry about at all."

So now the patient knows something is amiss.  The patient could choose to go home that day and monitor his/her pulse checking for signs of abnormality, OR believe in the Dr and not worry about it or give it a second thought, afterall the physician was not worried, so why should he/she?

So the patient chose not to worry and goes on about his/her life, regardless of having pvc's.  The difference is that this patient does not feel them. We do!  But my point is that many, many people walk around with these, they do not feel them and they are benign too.

And my other point is that we can choose to keep worrying something bad will happen regardless of reassurance from our Dr's and RLR and others on this board.

letting go of worry is NOT an easy feat!  It takes time.  For me, I get pvc's in high frequency as I have said.  it is not easy some days to just throw my hands up in the air and go on about my life because I feel them all!  But I have chosen to not let them get the best of me.  I do not want to sit around all day and worry.   I have kids to take care of (3 of them) and a husband, and friends.  I am OK! The tests prove that.  

And the testing you had done proves your are OK too.  Nothing bad will happen as a result of the palpitations except your feeling of them.  More testing would just prove the same benign results.  Just add more bills to your budget!  haha...

hang in there....  You will be OK.

Hugs...

Steff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print