Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Major heart fears (Read 3376 times)
blah7886
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Major heart fears
Jan 28th, 2010, 6:25pm

Hey everyone! I'm new here Smiley I'm a 23 year-old female from NYS. Okay...so I've had just about every test done on my heart. I've had ummm I'd say about 10-15 EKGs, 2 Echos, blood work, Holter monitor, Chest x-rays and 3 CT scans...They say my heart is structurally normal  (I just have paroxysmal atrial tachycardia, where my heart races sometimes). Now every time I do ANYTHING physical, my heart races and then I get the chest tightness and feeling like I'm being smothered. After all of the tests I've had done, you'd think I'd have some reassurance that I'm fine. I've had an amazing week getting my holter results back and my doctor telling me my heart is fine and beats normally and there is nothing wrong, just my heart races sometimes. BUT I can't seem to get it out of my head that nothing is wrong...I mean, how can I when every time I try to do something I get out of breath/chest tightness, etc?! It scares the crap out of me so now I don't do anything anymore! I am currently laid off and scared to go back to work because I am a laborer, which requires A LOT of physical activity. I have 4 horses and am almost thinking about selling them because I don't do anything with them anymore because of this fear! I fear a heart attack or heart failure or something. Any info or any ideas/tests that I can get done to help me out?? My doctor is scheduling a stress test, maybe just to ease my mind, Idk...but honestly, wouldn't the tests I've already had at least showed SOMETHING if I had anything?? Is a stress test really going to show anything different?? I am so scared of dying young.

IP Logged
seek4peace
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Australia
Re: Major heart fears
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2010, 5:11am

Have you tried cutting out all your caffeine?  I mean all of it. . . . and for at least 2 months before you decide if it's worked or not.  Worked for me in a really big way.  It's worth a try when nothing else has worked.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010, 5:56pm

It's interesting about the coffee. I agree caffeine can make things worse however, I cut out all caffeine in 1988 and still these awful palps have invaded my life last year.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010, 4:31pm

Well, at the young age of 23, I'd be highly skeptical that you are in any danger from a cardiovascular event of any kind. When patients in this age-range and younger complain of chest discomfort on light exertion, it merits evaluation for a syndrome called Wolf-Parkinson White Syndrome. It does, however, depend specifically upon your symptoms and although I think it unlikely to be the case here, the stress test will help differentiate it if present.

Wolf-Parkinson White is not life-threatening at all, but rather constitutes an additional pathway between the atria and ventricles that induces a pre-excitation of the ventricles when the heart is under exertion moreso than at rest.

You should also know, however, that anxiety disorder with somatoform can produce very similar outward symptoms in the absence of any anatomical abnormality of the heart. If you tend to be a person affected by anxiety and have unexplained physical symptoms that vary in nature, then I'd first suspect your problem to be anxiety-related.

You'll be fine. I woudn't go selling my horses just yet. Relax.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print