Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ectopic beats and betablockers (Read 2840 times)
LAURA
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Ectopic beats and betablockers
Feb 02nd, 2010, 11:20am

Hi

Back in June last year I had an episode of SVT that was stopped by having adenosine administered.

I was then put on 5mg bisoprolol which I couldn't tolerate as it made me so tired and the dose was lowered to 2.5mg.

Recently I have been having many ectopic beats a day and am waiting to have a holter moniter for 24 hrs.

My question is could the betablockers actually be causing the ectopics as I never really had them before, and would 2.5mg be enough of a dose to stop further SVT anyway as if not there doesn't seem much point taking them!

Thanks

Laura

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Ectopic beats and betablockers
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 4:09am

Well the bisoprolol is being administered as prophylaxis or, in other words, to prevent recurrence and 2.5mg would be sufficient. It's not uncommon for re-evaluation of the dosage rate of drugs in this class to occur depending upon patient response.

Having said that, I would ask whether prior to the administration of adenosine, the physician had you attempt the valsava maneuver to determine whether it would break the run of SVT. Typically, adenosine is used if lesser measures provide no improvement. It's certainly not improper to use it in the context administrered, but I was rather curious to know whether they had attempted other means to restore normal sinus rhythm.

The palpitations of the variety being experienced are more likely to be induced by levels of apprehension toward recurrence that typically develop, or similar concerns whether an underlying disease is present that could pose a life-threatening and unpredictable cardiovascular event. The action of beta blocker agents lowers cardiac force and improves sinus rhythm. The palpitations are induced more by a parasympathetic nervous response imposed on the vagus nerve, which in of itself is quite harmless and cannot damage the heart nor induce any type of cardiovascular event.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
LAURA
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ectopic beats and betablockers
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2010, 7:51am

Thanks for the reply

They did try various manoeuvres  ( they had me blow into a syringe and tried massaging my neck )but they didn't work and after 2 hours of SVT decided to go for the adenosine which worked first time.

The SVT started as soon a I bent down to pick something up...can bending down trigger SVT?

I'll stick with the betablockers and wait to see what the holter moniter indicates

Thanks

Laura

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print