HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I be concerned (Read 3310 times)
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Should I be concerned
Feb 07th, 2010, 2:48pm

I haven't been on here for a while.  I have learned to deal with the skips and flutters very well due to the information here.  While they get my attention, they don't freak me out as much anymore, until today....

I was outside without a coat on talking to my neighbor for a few minutes  It was cold and I was breathing quite shallow because of it.  Anyway, as I was walking up the driveway to come inside, my heard went into a rhythm.  It did this about five times.  It's over now, but on my mind so I wanted to come here and ask.

It was like this:

beat, beat, beatbeat, pause (for several seconds), and then it would beat okay for 5-10 seconds and do it again

I could feel it in my throat, which is how I realized it was happening.  I then put my hand on my throat to feel my pulse and confirmed what I was feeling was indeed what my  heart was doing.  

Should I be concerned?  

Thanks for all responses.  

IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Should I be concerned
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010, 2:50pm

I wanted to add that this little episode has me hesitant to do my workout today.  I have been doing workout DVDs for about four weeks now consistently, about 5 times a week.  I am proud of myself as fast heartbeats have always scared me.  I don't LOVE how it feels when I work out hard, but getting used to it.  Smiley

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2010, 4:38pm

Listen, you're going to be just fine. What happens when you breathe in the manner described, together in the presence of cold climate, is that it induces something like the valsalva maneuver which produces a parasympathetic response by the vagus nerve. It should interest you to know that the same phenomenon occurs when the body experiences something known as the dive reflex, wherein the pressure on the eyes in the presence of cold water can induce a parasympathetic response by the vagus nerve.

You're just fine and realize that this type of phenomenon can never cause the heart to stop because it's not interfering with the heart's normal pacer. In other words, it simply an additional signal that the heart responds to but does not replace or interfere with the signal by your heart's regular pacer. It's merely a signal arriving from outside the heart and depending upon precisely when it enters the cardiac cycle, you will sense it in a variety of ways. Fear typically causes other physiological changes and it's this rushing sensation that usually causes increased concern.  

It's fine for you to work out and the palpitations are in no way stressing the heart muscle or its performance.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
zeus34

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2010, 5:06pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  Your reply has put my mind at ease.  Thanks for explaining what happened and for always being there for us.  

Have a great evening!  I will be working out shortly.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print