Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A thank you and an update (Read 3710 times)
Qgirl
Forum Newbies

Vires in numerus

UK
A thank you and an update
Apr 24th, 2010, 7:59am

Hi All,

I am a new member here and first posted only at the beginning of this month, but am not new to ectopics and have had them for about 2 and a half years now, sometimes bad and sometimes not too bad.
I had some helpful replies from people here and I would like to say thanks to those who responded as it helped a lot.

Also, just an update.. I had a 24 hr holter monitor back on the 8th April, though I only suffered one small ectopic-type sensation while I had been wearing it, and this in itself seemed a bit suspect - after all, if there was something badly wrong it would have been carrying as normal i'd have thought?
I still have not had the results, but within 20 minutes of me removing it and handing it back for analysis they began again. This made me realise that they must be being caused by stress, and only stress! I began to relax a little as the roller-coaster of fear i'd been on began to fade and the stress loosened it's grip.
I'm assuming that if there had been issues then they would have been in contact by now, that was over 2 weeks ago.

The last big hurdle was that I had been scared to exercise in case something happened, and have been since they first began to happen. I used to go to the gym, go running and go cycling and loved being fit but just have not been able to for fear.
Well, after my monitor test I decided enough was enough, and if I can't get out and enjoy the air and the countryside and get some exercise then what kind of life is it anyway? I had not had any ectopics since that day I handed it back so I donned my trainers and went for a light walk and... BANG! back they came! This time I thought 'stuff it' and kept going (I had my very supportive OH along for company) and within 10 minutes they disappeared. I have since been slowly increasing my activities a bit at a time, I continued to get them for the first few walks but now I don't get them. I've even started jogging again for the first time in AGES, and did and walked 10 miles over two days last week as I was on holiday from work, and not a thump to be felt.

So, my point is that there has been a light at the end of the tunnel for me and i'm starting to enjoy my life again, and it's been in part thanks to people i've never met, such as RLR and all you guys. I had a good read through the forum and it answered many many questions.

I think I will have to learn to accept that these things WILL happen to me from time to time. I can't say they won't bother me ever again and that I won't be needing this site as I probably will, but I can testify that this site has helped me a great deal because it has filled in holes in my knowledge regarding the 'why's?' that my own doctor would not really explain very well.

Thanks all, and thank you RLR (hope your childrens visit went well too Smiley)

Best wishes

Clare

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Re: A thank you and an update
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2010, 1:16pm

Clare, how inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this. So for 2 weeks, you've not had the ectopics, and after 2.5 years. How wonderful. I know you are saying they may pop up now and then, but i think your main message is that it has to be psychological, or at least, nerves.

I am so awful, I relate to scary posts and not to positive ones, why is that? That is, I think nah! she cant have what I have...etc. I have the light and the hard thumps...also now and then the fluttery ones. It is the fluttery ones that scare me.

I do get light headed with those and with the hard thumps, which have come tonight.

I also get a huge panic attack at the very moment the thuds come...its as though I have a huge release of adrenaline or something. I make myself try to calm down, but its not easy as the panic does not relate to anything. You know...there's no big dog chasing me,, or anything to be scared of, but I just get scared at the same time as the thumps.

PS: I always feel I need to burp when they are the larger thumps. Why is that?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2010, 5:27pm

Qgirl,
Oh Happy Days for you when the heart blips go away. Smiley

IP Logged
Qgirl
Forum Newbies

Vires in numerus

UK
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010, 7:29am

Dear Typer,

Thank you for your message, yes it has now been precisely 17 days since I last had one. I used to get them most days, not as many as some on here do but certainly sometimes several each minute for a few minutes, and sometimes nothing for a few days or more. I've experienced many 'different' types of sensation, from light flutters, to VERY heavy 'thumps' and bangs, to longer 'wave' type feelngs. Sometimes they would be in my heart area, other times they would be more central, as though they were under my sternum.
I also suffer from Costochondritis (inflammation of the Sternum) which I do not believe it is related but seems to (psychologically anyway) coincide with them sometimes.
I'm no doctor and do not wish to impart my opinions on others, that is for a trained physician to do, but I DO feel better through finding a way of letting go of a large proportion of my fear and it seems to be having a knock-on effect on what is happening in my heart (or at least, what seems to feel like things happening in my heart!)

I've seen 4 different doctors about my heart, had an ECG and a holter monitor, and had 3 of those 4 doctors listen to my heart through a stethoscope and each has told me it sounds fine, ok I haven't had the holter results yet but they'd have been in touch if they were worrying.
So it's time for me to trust them for once, and enjoy my life again!

I hope you feel better soon, yes I used to burp all the time, usually a few minutes after the thumps had happened, from what I have read on here and posts from RLR this is totally normal. And as soon as it had happened I would grab my chest, sometimes cough, sometimes run out of the room and go outside, call my boyfriend, call the doctors and make a new appointment, etc etc and now I know that even if it does happen (and it will) I will have a much more positive attitude towards it.

Please never give up, I hope you feel better soon, for me it has been a learning curve and has ultimately helped me appreciate the here and now better.

Good luck

Clare
xx

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010, 7:43am

Well, I very glad that you've progressed so well and have been able to put the matter behind you to the greatest extent.

Wishing you all the very best. Things will continue to improve for you and don't ever let the palpitations or stress produce a setback. They forever remain brief and are incapable of causing you any harm.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Qgirl
Forum Newbies

Vires in numerus

UK
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2010, 9:53am

Thank you sir, your words on this site are appreciated and have helped me a great deal.

Kindest regards

Clare

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print