Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
heart palpitations and sleepless nights (Read 5662 times)
ckgage

I Love YaBB 2!

heart palpitations and sleepless nights
Aug 05th, 2010, 7:53am

Hi.  I have been experiencing heart palpitations off and on for a couple of years.  I have varying degrees of success at ignoring them and telling myself they are insignificant.  I have had a normal echocardiogram and two normal ecg's.  I had an appointment with a cardiologist, who listened to my heart, saw that I am young (35) fit (135 lbs) and told me I had nothing to worry about.  I know that I should be happier to hear this news, but I can't seem to shake the uneasiness that I have due to the fact that the type of palpitation has not been diagnosed.  The cardiologist assumed they were PVC's by the way I described the way they feel, but I also feel different types of irregular heart beats, especially at night.  I want to request a monitor to see if some of these events can be captured, and therefore classified, but I don't know if I am being overly worried.  

Last night, my palpitations woke me up and lasted all night long.  I could feel my pulse in my neck going strong.  Then, my pulse would start to slowly fade in strength and I would feel a rush of coldness in my extremities.  A strong pulse would then return a few seconds later.  This left me with very little sleep, as I know many of you can relate!!

Any suggestions?  Be content with the normal echo and the cardiologist saying that I am fine, or push for a monitor?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

IP Logged
cck9
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: heart palpitations and sleepless nights
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2010, 8:18am

ckgage,
 I would get the event monitor, then you will at least know if they are PVC or PACs, both terribly uncomfortable, but they are different. One comes from the top of the heart, the other from the bottom, so it comes with different outcomes.  
Do you mind me asking if you are a female and if you are in the age group of perimenopause or menopause.   That sounds like it might be hormonal with the cold rush prior to the event.  But whatever they are annoying and scarey.

cck9

IP Logged
emma09

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2010, 8:36am

i think everyone feels all sorts of beats, ive had the lot! ones in the throat big thumps in the chest, little bangs etc etc It sounds alot like anxiety when it comes to night time, try and be relaxed before going to bed and if you do wake, get up do something boring for ten minutes and try to sleep again, carry on this cycle till you go back to sleep, your body will soon kick into sleep mode again when you go to bed. The fact you've had an echo and ecg's before i would say getting some more reassurance is useless, as it wil only feed your worry, your heart is fine youve been told so  Smiley

IP Logged
ckgage

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2010, 4:50pm

I am not premenopausal.  All my blood work has come back normal (thyroid, ESR, etc).  I did decide to call and request an event monitor......I just wanted to have my palpitations seen by someone rather than only described by me.  Thanks for your feedback. This is such a great place to be reassured!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print