Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I cant help wonder how these started (Read 6704 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
I cant help wonder how these started
Aug 07th, 2010, 3:36am

I have accepted that I had long term stress and when I feel stressed these things are worse but, this part baffles me:

A few years ago, I noticed that every so often I had a flutter or pulsating in my chest...I thought it was maybe just a pulsating artery and it never really bothered me. I'd usually have been sitting watching TV or eating and would stand up and it would happen. It was so rare that it meant nothing to me. In fact I would say every couple of months.

Then when I moved in my home now, we had an extension bought and there was and still is decor going on 4 years later.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I am sure this stress made me feel very depressed but not anxious or panic.

The flutters came more and more last year, late summer as well as the new symptom, pauses and the big bang back into rhythm. before that it was just the flutter.

So here is my dilemma.

When it first happened few years ago, I had attempted to give up smoking AGAIN. I had once before achieved it but started up again.

I was using patches...now  cant remember if I had a nicotine patch on when I first got these but I know it was around the time of my trying to give up.

This all started getting worse last year when I was smoking and using patches intermittently. I would rip off a patch and within about 10 minutes smoke  Undecided . I did not realize that the nicotine is still around in the body for quite a while after removing it.  

Then I went up to 25mg patches, which is a new ultra high dose. Plus again,  would smoke in the morning and at night. That is when I had a really bad couple of bouts of flutters that lasted a long time and such a long pause I expected to die.

I looked up side effects and one was reversible AF. The fact that  smoked in the morning and night, and wore a 25mg patch makes me wonder if it all began because of this.

I have not had a fluttery one since I stopped the patches and stopped smoking on Dec 13th. Well no, I did have a small one about 10 weeks after I stopped but none of those since.

But if it all began there, why do  continue to have the other flip flops, thuds and those bigemy ones?

I just wonder if RLR has any idea if its possible to kick the vagus nerve off this way so that it becomes a habit or something and of course the anx it has caused may keep it all going.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: I cant help wonder how these started
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2010, 5:19am

Okay, several points need to be made here. I want all of you to cease using the terms bigeminy and trigeminy, even quadgeminy for that matter. These are terms more strictly used to describe pathological arrhythmias associated with the sino-atrial node or other electroconductive events generated strictly by the heart itself. The production of perceived similar events in the case of vagus-induced palpitations is not equivalent. Do you see the difference? Vagus-induced palpitation events occur strictly as a consequence of electroconductive influence on the heart's pacers by the vagus nerve and originates from outside the heart. It is entirely non-pathological and for a comparison to be made by merely stating the events to be couplets or triplets is extremely misguided.

The second point is that the vagus nerve does not act independent of the central nervous system. It's being thought of as singular and separate and this is not the case at all. Generalized anxiety AND clinical depression can both produce chronic changes to the state of the body's nerve complex, merely including the vagus nerve. It is only by virtue of the sometimes dramatic effects produced by the vagus nerve that individuals feel it must somehow be singularly influenced.

Nicotine is a neurotransmitter and occurs naturally in the brain. The brain is unique in that when these neural transmitters are artificially introduced into the brain, the brain itself stops manufacturing them to varying degrees and comes to be dependent upon whichever source is most dominant, in this case the nicotine source from smoking cigarettes. The addition of nicotinic patches only serves to increase available levels of nicotine. While this circumstance can produce palpitations, it would not be considered any type of causal factor in of itself.

I don't know if you've more recently taken up smoking again, but I would comment here that the simultaneous use of nicotinic patches while smoking indicates a very limited comprehension of the actual function and prescribed use of the product, which suggests that your physician failed to adequately explain how to properly use the patches or that you alternatively chose to understand the nature of their use and influence based upon your own notions.

Finally, the particular characterization of vagus-induced palpitations, ie "fluttery ones" cannot be defined as though they constitute a particular associated event. Doing so is precisely the kind of cause-and-effect thinking practices that I've persistently tried to impress upon all of you. It is this very type of mental persuassion that leads you to where you are presently. People try desparately to make sense of events which are ill-understood otherwise by aggresively seeking to pair the awareness of any event within the temporal context another.

People with anxiety disorder fall prey to this phenomenon all too frequently. By common example, people with functional disorders, that is, people who demonstrate physical symptoms as a consequence of influence by purely cognitive and emotional factors, use the same logic to draw conclusions from nearly constant ruminative concerns in the absence of facts. This strategy is the very basis for how premises such a "triggers" manifest in people to the extent that they unswervingly consider it to be factual strictly upon the basis that the outcomes literally abide by their speculative belief. Do you understand what I'm  saying here?

There is absolutely no such thing as a trigger to any premise, whether psychological or physical in origin. People have unwittingly established it as a truth because a precipitating event, ie smoking while using a nicotine patch, has been paired with an outcome, ie non-remitting benign palpitation events. This is no different than persons with IBS eating a certain food and subequently experincing the debilitating effects of various GI sequelae. These pairings become extremely reinforced, despite the fact that no logical approach has been employed to discern the true nature of any association.

These rigid thought patterns are very pervasive throughout this forum and it is the direction that I've persistently been trying to lead all of you in discovering that it represents the basis for your difficulties. If you will peruse the forum, you will see the very evidence to support the fact as well. It is clear that folks with this difficulty are highly resistant to change. I cite the following common example:

Look for the postings wherein members are quite familiar with my comments in this regard and the constant imposition I place upon them to learn to recognize such patterns and alter them. They start their inquiry with something to the effect "This has been a wonderful forum and I truly have changed my way of thinking and no longer consider the palpitations to be dangerous. But I just have this one question that won't go away about a very unique and different sort of palpitation that is not like the ones you've been describing. This one is a bang-pop-bang rather than a flip-flop or a fluttery-thud one. Does this mean I have AF or God knows could it possibly be PVST or a symptom of Sudden Cardiac Death?"

This sort of clever disguise is something that I had encountered for years with my patients and it simply means that they only wish to obtain reassurance to resolve the crisis and have little interest otherwise.

CONTINUED.

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2010, 5:47am

It is a patterned approach to life that is entirely resistant to the necessary logic which can break the cycle. The statement "I can't help but wonder how these got started" is a very prime example and I use it here not to highlight the individual making it, but rather as definitive of presicely how the absolute entirety of efforts being poured into this site are consistently set aside in favor of one's own beliefs and rigid patterns, which are pardoxically the absolute source of their problems.

I very purposely left the question and discussion of a specific thread unattended in order to highlight the characteristics associated with attention and participation to its content. While several members have bumped the thread, you are all awaiting some type of engagment by me to progress. While I certainly know the reasons why, I am encouraging all of you to make that same determination so that the thread can proceed. This is about self-discovery and not instruction or guidance from me. If I merely tell you what it is that needs to manifest, then it will be incorporated in some general context and hold as much ability to alter your thinking as you now demonstrate by virtue of the collective postings.

I know that all of you respond by claiming the forum has helped you immensely, but what you're actually saying is that you've found the source of reassurance that you need to a large extent. If you want your lives back, then I'm here to tell you that you will never find it within an internet forum. If reassurance is all you care about, then it's going to constitute a tragic sacrifice of the unique individuality that each of you holds in this world.

I will tell you that this forum is going to one day go unattended because I unfortunately can't live forever and at 88 years of age, that eventuality is closing on me to some extent. If you wish to take anything special from our encounters together, then you must begin to realize that its whereabouts lies within you and not what I deliberate within the pages of this forum. If I can get you to see this, my work will be done.

Best regards and Good Health

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2010, 4:50pm

Quote:
Nicotine is a neurotransmitter and occurs naturally in the brain

I had no idea of this. Outside of the palpitation discussions I am fascinated by how things work and am frustrated by my limited understanding.

I am coming to understand your message albeit that it is hard. The hardest thing to admit for me personally, is that I can be well, these things can go. I tend to feel safer with the negative if that makes sense.

I can see your message, and understand now why you are unable to say if you do this, or do that, they'll go. What you are saying, I think is, I  cant tell you what to do, I can only ask you to search yourself for what needs to change or be done? Is this correct?

The only reassurance I guess you could give me/us, is that you have witnessed patients recover and that recovery is not out of reach even though you cannot guide us to that recovery. Perhaps because it is so individual by nature. Perhaps each of us have to understand our own thought processes.

I thank you for both the explanation and the education

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print