Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need support and advise (Read 5060 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Need support and advise
May 02nd, 2011, 5:24pm

Been doing fine. Still have palps - sometimes when stressed more than others, sometimes just a few. Learning to live with them.

But have had a stomach upset for a few days, didn't eat etc. Went into the bathroom to wash, feeling a bit better and out of the blue, my heart began to beat fast and erratically as though trying to find a rythm.

bright lights appeared and I tried to call for my husband but fell to the ground and the world just spun about. Husband called the ambulance. My sugar levels were a bit low.

he thought it was paroximal vt or svt but as far as he was concerned, everything was normal apart from my bp shot up.

Now I am back to square 1. Is this it...is this my life? What if Id been driving, or going down stairs? I seem to remember its happened a few times before but never like that - never with the falling

need advise - why has this happened? Will it happen again?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Hazel
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Need support and advise
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2011, 5:38pm

Oh Jen. You must be terrified. I hope RLR has some words of wisdom for you. Love, Hazel. xxx

IP Logged
OctoberSky
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2011, 5:53pm

I know exactly how you are feeling.
I get scared because I wonder what if it happened during sleep?
I also hope you get a reply soon because we both are on a similar boat.
I hope you are feeling better.

Octobersky

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2011, 5:40pm

Okay, we have a premise where GI difficulties resulted in not eating on a normal schedule. Realize that both GI issues and alteration in dietary intake can have a demonstrable effect upon vagal tone. Remember that vagal tone is the process which changes in response to feedback from the body in order to maintain blood pressure, heart rate and level of consciousness. A good example of vasovagal syncope is the premise of soldiers standing at attention for extended periods without movement.

You were also probably lying down just prior to going to the restroom to wash up, presumably by applying water to your face. Realize that cool water on the face lowers vagal tone, so if you're already experiencing GI difficulty and lying down for several days and then rise to splash cool water on your face, then you will almost invariably experience a vasovagal syncope episode, which is what I suspect took place.

You have to understand that applying the proper circumstances can easily induce this kind of response and people unwittingly create this scenario, subsequently becoming frightened by the outcome.

Relax and take a breath. There's nothing wrong with you at all. The reason that your heart experienced a palpitation run is merely due to a sudden drop in blood pressure while standing, together with brief instability of vagal tone. Feeling faint or actually experiencing syncope, together with a palpitation run is entirely normal under the circumstances described. It is merely your misinterpretation of the event which suggests something else to be responsible simply because you failed to see the connection between the issues working simultaneously to produce the outcome.

You're going to be just fine.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2011, 4:34am

Thank you for your reply Doctor.

I was not washing my face, but brushing my teeth. I had leaned slightly forward to see in the small shaving mirror in the bathroom.

I had been lying down before as you guessed, and I was weak and had not had food or much water.

I have had episodes like this before though...but never this bad.

Sorry for the late reply....sometimes this sites boots my system ff if I try to log in.

Many thanks again, Jen

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print