Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hyperventilating, or not breathing properly (Read 6364 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Hyperventilating, or not breathing properly
May 10th, 2011, 11:02am

The thing  have noticed since having these palps...I often catch myself breathing too shallow and sometimes holding my breath.

If you do look in  at all RLR, could you explain what effect this would have.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: Hyperventilating, or not breathing properly
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2011, 12:49pm

Hi Typer,

When you hyperventilate, or breathe rapidly, your blood level of CO2 (carbon dioxide) will drop too low causing your blood pH to rise. The reason for this is simply that CO2 when dissolved in water becomes H2CO3, or carbonic acid; a weak acid. Your body needs a certain amount of carbon dioxide in the blood to keep the pH (acid-alkaline or acid-base balance) of blood at a constant level.

As a result of low CO2 levels in the blood stream, your bloody chemistry is altered. The protein Albumin, which is synthesised by the liver, has its calcium binding ability lowered by the CO2 reduction which essentially means you have a lower blood calcium level.

As you probably already know, calcium is essential for proper muscle function, so a low level can cause tetany (involuntary cramping) in the extremeties becuase your calcium-phosphate level is in a state of imbalance causing the muscle fibers to contract.

I believe this can happen on a milder scale with milder hyperventilation and may cause tingling in the hands and/or feet. As for whether this can have an effect on your nervous system and cause an increase potential for skips/extra beats, I don't know.

Hope that helps Typer,

George.

P.S. I might be completely wrong about this and the above mentioned processes might be factually incorrect and might not be 100% accurate.

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2011, 2:38pm by George »  

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
daybyday

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2011, 4:34pm

I tend to hold my breath, and chest shallow breathe.  Have to remind myself with my counselor's help to breathe right.

When I don't breathe correctly, I notice my legs feel weak and wobbly.  Maybe that is the CO2 being imbalanced affecting the muscles.

I do know breathing wrong brings on a lot of symptoms physical and emotional for me.  And breathing correctly diminishes them.

IP Logged
jothenurse
Gold Forum Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2011, 3:07pm

If you are truly hyperventilating, you are blowing off too much CO2 and you will feel short of breath, and may have tingling hands, feet and around your mouth.  It can make you dizzy, too.  Breathing into a paper bag can help.  This will increase your CO2 level.

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2011, 4:46pm

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

I am wondering what the connection is to a palpitation as I feel sure RLR mentioned something about this once.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print