Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone experience this? (Read 4575 times)
AbbyH

I Love YaBB 2!

Florida
Anyone experience this?
May 18th, 2011, 10:14am

Latley I'm getting loads of skips mostly after but some during exercise. It's mostly when I sit down or take a deep breath afterwards. We have a huge set of stairs at my work and it never fails that after I climb them and sit back down at my desk I get a nice hard thump. Kind of freaking me out becuase normally all my palps are at rest. Now they are like at the mid point of exertion. I'd say when My pulse is 110-120. Very strange for me and has me a bit worried.

Any one have an similair experiences or advice?

Thanks.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: Anyone experience this?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2011, 2:17pm

Hi,

Based on everything RLR has written to me and others on here, it sounds just like you are experiencing vagal stimulation which is causing your skipped heart beats.

When you sit down after exerting yourself on the stairs, you are squashing the available space in your torso. Because the vagus nerve innervates the stomach and intestines, you can essentially trigger an inappropriate nerve impulse which will be recieved by your heart and it will either pause and restart or to beat again suddenly. I have had this many, many times when bending, sitting, standing up and taking in a deep breath.

But I may be wrong... I am no doctor.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2011, 5:21am

Hi Abby

I know you have had these for quite some while. But you know how they change and what did not happen a while ago, now happens etc. They all come back to the same thing as George.

Mine have changed so much and so many times...sometimes after exercise and sometimes not...after eating and sometimes not. Used to walk a lot, then one day big bangs for about a month just walking a little faster. Now they stopped again and I get them sitting down...they just change but I would say, are all the same thing

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
AbbyH

I Love YaBB 2!

Florida
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2011, 11:08am

Thank you guys.

That makes sense. And it really is mostly when I sit down after getting my heart rate up. I also get them pretty good when I'm mopping the floor in the house or sweeping, makes sense because I'm bending over to mop. And latley when I take a deep breath also, moslt when I go to yawn...like that fast deep breath before a yawn. You have put my mind at ease a bit. Glad I'm not the only one.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2011, 5:32pm

Hi Abby,

George is absolutely correct. This is merely a variation of vagus nerve stimulation and does not constitute a sign that your heart is failing to perform adequately as a result of climbing the stairs.

You'll be just fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print