Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3pt question- palps on breathing in & fainting (Read 3837 times)
aks85

BaZinga!

Alaska
3pt question- palps on breathing in & fainting
May 23rd, 2011, 10:09pm

1) In March while at a wedding I suddenly got the thud/skip feeling while breathing in. I immediately began panicking and it kept on.I had taken an Ativan prior to the wedding so I wouldn't panick. I got it to stop for the ride home ( I left the wedding early Sad ). But while standing waiting for the elevator up to our room it started up again, the skip/thud with breathing in. It kept up every time I moved and breathed in for about 4-5 hours, but would stop once I lay still for awhile. This scared me very much, I was sure I was dying. I took another Ativan around 10 or 11 and fell asleep. The next day on the ride home, it happened twice. The thud/skip while breathing in. This was VERY scary for me. Should I have gone to the hospital?

As a recap, I'm a 25 yr old female, with clear EKG last one being in December. I am overweight but am actively working on a diet. I am scared to exercise. Prior to my fears I was in excellent shape and exercised daily.  BP is normal, cholesterol is in good range except for elevated Trigs and low HDL. Father had 90% blockages found in major arteries in 2008, he also has adult onset diabetes diagnosed in early 2000's. I do not smoke, never have.

2) This happened about 8 yrs ago but I forget to bring it up to my docs. I had awoken rather early one day to strong stomach cramps and the overwhelming urge to go to the restroom. While in the restroom taking care of business, I began to feel light headed. Then I noticed my heart was beating VERY slowly. I began to get scared and I knew I was passing out. The black began creeping in, nauseous, sounds were far away, got very warm. I began breathing slowly and evenly trying to keep conscious, but to no avail. I woke up on the floor sometime later. Scared witless but otherwise OK.
Was this a common faint or should I have been examined for a heart problem?

3) I have passed out before because of hyperventilation...and I noticed while unconscious I dreamed I was on a roller coaster. My mother even said that I jerked. During this fainting episode, I also dreamed I was on a roller coaster. Why is that?

Sometimes, even my brain has palps
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: 3pt question- palps on breathing in & fainting
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2011, 5:30pm

Okay, I certainly recall you from previous postings on the forum. I have to simply ask you at this point what it is that you believe is going to happen to you?

The facts concerning the true nature of benign palpitations is imparted in every posting I've made to the forum. You are taking sides with the irrational beliefs you have conjured as a means to interpret what is taking place.

If you have read the information that the forum has to offer and you can still pose the question of whether you should rush to the hospital, then a problem exists between the facts and what you personally believe. There will never be an instance where benign palpitations of the type you and the others here are experiencing will culminate into a force that can place you at any risk to your health, certainly not your life.

Your posting clearly demonstrates that you are merely using the forum for reassurance, with little regard for understanding the facts necessary to move forward with your life. The medical facts are clear that benign palpitations are not dangerous in any aspect whatsoever. Why then would you need to rush to the hospital? For what purpose?

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
aks85

BaZinga!

Alaska
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2011, 6:10pm

In all due respect Dr. Rane, but what is the purpose of speaking with me that way?

Is your forum not for comfort and help to understand? That's what I thought it was. I am not on this forum nearly as often as others, yet my post is met with blatant disregard.

I merely asked questions. So what if I was hoping for a little comfort, I'm still in battle with my anxiety, I have been doing quite well thank you. But something I've never had happen before did happen, obviously I'm still alive yet I was curious as to what happened and how it came about. I do not ignore anything you have taught here and I have put the information to use in myself. As far as the fainting thing I was hoping you could shed some light on what goes on with that mechanism and what happened. But clearly, it's not important I guess.

I do not understand then, what your purpose of this forum is if asking questions, and yes hoping for a small amount of reassurance, is met with this reaction. This has very much disappointed me as your information has brought me to a level of comfort and understanding with my issues. But now, I can't help but feel like I'm something lesser in your eyes because of my issues and the wonderings of my mind.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Sometimes, even my brain has palps
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2011, 5:32pm

Okay, you are imparting emotion into the dialogue which does not exist. I do not look upon anyone on this forum with personal involvement to any extent whatsoever.

Let's take a moment to examine the facts. You wrote to me on May 24th about an incident which took place in March and asked me whether based upon your description of the event at that time whether you should have gone to the hospital. Now without any regard to your feelings, don't you think such a question is clearly impractical? How would you suggest that I, or any other physician, go about addressing such an inquiry with any degree of accuracy and insight?

The other point that I'll make here is that in every aspect of your inquiry, the answers are available within the context of postings I've repeatedly made on the topic. You make the very plain statement that all that was required of me was a few words of reassurance.

My purpose here is not to simply act as a coffer for reassurance. If all that you intend on doing is ignoring the facts that I take time to post here so regularly, then my offerings to you in this regard are entirely pointless. What it implies is that my time spent in encouraging greater understanding of the issues facing persons on the forum is better spent simply soothing their fears. Members and guests to this forum need to take a very active role in increasing their knowledge about the problems they are facing which led them here. The absolute last goal I would seek is a repository where people simply come to get a few kind words. If people afflicted with difficulties of the type this forum is intended to address can't move through this forum and take away guidance and insight necessary to move forward with their lives, then I've failed.  

If you feel that my postings are emotionally charged, then you are mistaking the Heart Palpitations forum for a social concourse. This is strictly a medical forum and my responses have always been, and will continue to be, forthright and clear to the point.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print