Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
somebody please (Read 3950 times)
rainbowQ

I Love YaBB 2!

Denmark
somebody please
May 25th, 2011, 5:10am

have not had many extra beats at rest these days, but as soon as I touch me (going up and act or move around) then starts the heart to skip

How do I know that it's perfectly normal? Could they have changed since they were seen on a Holter? They have changed a lot since I made Holter.

The worst is probably soon that I can not have sex more with fear all the heart-jumping afterwards, which probably will be annoying my husband Sad

WWW   IP Logged
AbbyH

I Love YaBB 2!

Florida
Re: somebody please
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2011, 5:18pm

I'm sure your just fine, RLR has adressed this before and it is very common.

Mine have changed a ton since my last EKG also and I'm told not to worry. Mine come on when I'm anxious now..well that happens to be most of the time as I have panic disorder, and also when I sit down, bend over, after climbing stairs, during sex LOL. I swear if you think about them they happen..It really is the darndest thing...

I'm sure RLR wil chime in, just relax for now.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2011, 6:45am

Ha ha, I had to laugh out loud when you said the worst possible outcome is that you can't have sex anymore. Maybe that line should put things in to perspective a little because if that's the worst, then you are certainly not in any danger, right?

But if you think about it, during the sexual act you are no doubt stimulating the vagus nerve yet again due to vigorous body movements.

Also, you said your heart starts skipping when you get up and/or move around, which I bet is when most people actually notice them. I belive the reason behind this is because when you get up from a sitting position, you are tensing a lot of different muscle groups including all your leg muscles, your abdominal muscles and your arms and chest. This act along with the change in body position causes compression of space within your torso, which can generate inappropriate nerve impulses because of a specific nerve RLR is constantly reminding everybody of (Vagus nerve), which then enters the heart and causes the skip or extra beat.

Since you said you have had an ECG, it would seem obvious you've been checked by a doctor. If that's the case then it is even more likely the cause is benign.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
rainbowQ

I Love YaBB 2!

Denmark
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2011, 7:44am

ok, for the record I should mention that it would be the worst for my HUSBAND;-)  Wink

for me is the worst that I die from them.
I've just been to the doctor today and he says that an ECG does not show calcifications, which could also be the reason for extra impact.

He also says that it may well go down in other rhythms, and that nothing is certain.  Undecided

So no, I'm still scared with all these extra beats and I do not understand I've got them, if my body is ok?!   :'(  

he actually thought I should have studied further heart because an ECG is not saying anything about why there are extra beats.

WWW   IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2011, 8:27am

From what RLR has written many times here - in my understanding - benign palpitations/extrabeats come from the vagus nerve, where they can "start up" due to many factors: "Anxiety" (maybe you should call it "long-time-overload-of-the-autonomic-nervous-system" because of stress or fear). And you don't have to feel fear of anything at the moment for this to happen, it's the long-time effect of being in a "nervous" or worried condition.

Many people have also reported that changing position can generate palpitations through the autonomic nervous system. And also "overload of the stomach" can cause pressure on your diaphragm (mellemgulv) which in some way is connected to the vagus nerve.

I would say:
1.Get your heart checked so (all) doctors say: There is nothing wrong with it. That means that your extrabeats not in any way are signs of anything dangerous.
2. Work with yourself in order to really BELIEVE that. (I know it's hard.) But really: Have they EVER continued and got you "sick "in any way? Or have they made you faint or die Smiley ? And then:
3: STOP thinking about reasons for palps, let them come and go - like irritating hiccups.
4: Have a lot of sex Smiley if you feel like it ... (I have experienced that having sex can make you forget that you are having extrabeats ...)

Anyway: Best of luck from a guy who's almost gotten rid of extrabeats - maybe by following these 4 advices.

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011, 10:57am by martinpetersen »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2011, 4:13pm

If you experienced a muscle twitch of an eyelid, would you suddenly race with panic that you could potentially go blind? Surely not. A mere twitch of an eyelid subsequent to a wayward nerve impulse has no influence or connection to the function of the eye.

Well, the exact same premise holds true where benign palpitations are concerned. The heart muscle is merely responding to a wayward impulse from the vagus nerve. It has no influence or connection to the function of the heart. Due to the absence of requisite medical education and training, you've simply drawn an irrational conclusion that benign palpitations constitute a warning sign of impending heart failure or imminent cardiac event. This is an entirely inaccurate premise.

You are withdrawing further away from activity with the belief that your heart will not be able to perform under exertion and that the palpitations could somehow magically induce a heart attack or death, a premise which is purely irrational and has no basis whatsoever in medical fact.

There is nothing physically wrong with your heart. You are experiencing benign palpitations as a result of significant anxiety and/or GI difficulties, both of which are capable of producing benign palpitation events. These palpitations are also not within the classification of cardiac arrhythmias in any form whatsoever and they can never transform into anything "sinister." This belief is again, entirely irrational and based upon misperception.

You need to re-engage your life and realize that you are basing your decisions on nothing more than misinterpretation of the facts. You'll be just fine. You have a full life ahead with no need to live in such a guarded an restrictive fashion based upon what you personally believe to be a risk. It doesn't exist.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print