Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
They are back with a vengeance (Read 11968 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
They are back with a vengeance
Aug 08th, 2011, 6:52am

After I've been doing so well for ages, I'm really needing a bit of encouragement, I guess.  My heart is driving me crazy!  The skipped beats usually come in waves which last around 3 -4 weeks, building up and then fading away to leave me in peace for weeks at a time.  This time, they don't seem to be fading away.  I feel the skips and gaps in the beat every couple of minutes, the sensation in the middle of my chest is horrible.  My mind knows they won't hurt me - and I'm suffering badly from bloating and gas (taking Omeprazole, doesn't seem to be helping at moment) which fits in with RLR has told me before.  But it is getting to me in a big way - help! Please! It's been a couple of months now, it should be gone!   Sad  And  yesterday and today my ankles have suddenly become painful when walking or coming downstairs, so my mind remembers something about bad hearts and ankles that I must have read once upon a time, so that's constantly whirling round my head too.  I think I may be going mad!  Please, someone pass on a bit of good sense!

IP Logged
themoabird

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: They are back with a vengeance
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2011, 7:42am

Not a doctor, and RLR will correct me if I'm wrong, but the heart/ankles thing is *swollen* ankles, I think, not painful ankles.

And, of course, there are many things that can cause ankles to swell, plus even if you had swollen ankes, you'd presumably have other symptoms of heart failure (not palpitations!) if that were the cause.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2011, 3:52pm

Hello Rosekay and sorry to hear you're having difficulty. The problem here is with your GI problem. Realize that omeprazole is in a class of drugs call proton pump inhibitors and they act by shutting off the pumps within certain stomach cells that produce acid. Taking these drugs to relieve bloating or gas may or may not be helpful.

My suggestion is to speak with your doctor about dealing directly with the symptoms and not relying upon the Omeprazole to resolve the problem.

Once the GI disturbances have been resolved, you'll see a rapidly corresponding reduction in the palpitation events as well.

As for your ankles, there is a common association between edema and certain patients suffering from congestive heart failure. This is certainly not the case where you're concerned whatsoever and edema from CHF occurs throughout the body and is only more prominent in the lower extremities due to the effects of gravity. Again, you do not have a heart problem in this regard at all.

See your doctor about the GI problem and the palpitations will resolve correspondingly.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2011, 10:49am

Thanks guys, as always a big help! I did see my doctor today and she is doing thyroid tests again to check levels are still ok, will discuss with her when results come through.
I remember now, it was swollen ankles I read about.  Mine are certainly not that, I am so skinny!  It's really strange though, both ankles on the inside of my legs are so painful and I can't work out why.  If I press them they really hurt, and walking etc makes it worse.  It helps when I rest, so that's my excuse for feet up for a while!  If it doesn't go in a few days I'll have to get it checked though, start a job in Sept in a secondary school, so don't want to be hobbling round!
Many thanks again, I don't know what I'd do without this site to rely on!
Kiss

IP Logged
pipat4
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2011, 1:11am

Thanks for any new information.

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login-Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login-Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login-Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
WWW   IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2011, 5:45am

Still hobbling round a week later.  Thought the pain was gone yesterday, could walk with no trouble at all, then it came back again. I phoned the surgery today and the locum doctor thought it sounded like osteo-arthritis, from a phone conversation.  I do have 2 knobbly knuckles, but the ankle thing doesn't seem to be the same kind of thing to me.  When the  fingers went, the skin was red and shiny and very painful. The ankles haven't been shiny or paricularly red (I don't normally look at them so don't really know if they are redder than normal!).  I thought  it sounded like tenosynovitis, although I am not aware of any way I may have damaged things.  I would think it would be unusual for osteoarthritis to suddenly hit both inner ankles at exactly the same time - any ideas, anyone?
Still skipping beats, upped Bisoprolol to 7.5mg for a while but no difference as far as I can tell yet.  Had couple of glasses of wine last night, very bloaty and gassy today - skips worse than yesterday.  Oh dear!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2011, 4:28pm

Hi Rosekay,

Tenosynovitis would not be a practical consideration here, which is inflammation of the sheath around the tendons. The pain is rather acute in nature and walking can be quite restricted in most cases.

Unfortunately, the forum is not an appropriate medium to seek diagnosis of an issue such as that being described, or in any instance for that matter. While I would not characterize it as serious based upon your description, the possibilities relative to cause are varied and your primary care physician can provide you with direct evaluation and testing to determine if treatment is necessary.

IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2011, 6:20am

Thanks for takin the time to contact me, I do realise it's not the right place so extra thanks for bothering.

I was wondering, people say they have "palpitations" but don't always mean the same thing... lots of people complain of racing heartbeats, which they label as palpitations, while others, like me, have the skipped heartbeats which we also call palpitations.  Are they both caused by the same thing, and should they both be called palpitations?  Just wondering, as I don't have the fast beats.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2011, 6:08pm

Indeed, people often transpose the meaning of palpitations to include many features related to heart function. Rapid heart rate is defined as that above 100 bpm and is termed sinus tachycardia.

Sensations of benign changes in heart rhythm that often vary in characterization but nevertheless fall under the same category, constitute heart palpitations. The reason for the transposition in terms is that on some occasions, rapid heart rate can follow benign palpitation events and it is difficult for some persons to distinguish one from the other.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print