Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beta Blockers (Read 5929 times)
marti

I Love YaBB 2!

missouri ozarks
Beta Blockers
Sep 26th, 2011, 4:06pm

Can anyone give me the straight skinny on beta blockers?  I take Propranolol "as needed" and wonder if I am following this correctly.  My palps started with Graves Disease and have eased off somewhat.   I take half a pill when I feel the flutters, but I don't take this regularly.  Is this going to cause problems??

Thanks so much.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Beta Blockers
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2011, 4:56pm

Okay, beta-blockers work by reducing cardiac force, which results in the reduction of work necessary by the heart to perform its functions. This drug is mainly used in patients who have suffered a cardiac insult and therefore a reduction in cardiac force helps promote recovery.

While it is often used to try and impart influence upon vagus nerve-induced palpitations, the effects are mostly derived through a temporary placebo effect. Benign palpitations are extra-cardiac in nature. They arise from wayward stimulation by the vagus nerve and beta-blockers have no effect upon this proclivity.

Additionally, beta-blockers are not designed to be used to treat conditions symptomatically. At the low dose you were likely prescribed, it would not be of much consequence but I suggest that you revisit your approach to resolution since these drugs constitute more of an off-label use in the attempt to diminish vagus induced palpitation events.

A focus more upon the actual underlying cause for their presence and work toward reduction in its influence will provide a corresponding reduction in physical manifestations, ie palpitation events.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
marti

I Love YaBB 2!

missouri ozarks
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2011, 3:17pm

Sorry, some of the medical jargon is lost on me.  How would I know if my palps are induced by the Vagus nerve??  I assumed my Graves Disease caused them.  

And what does "off label" mean?  Is it absolutely necessary to treat every palpitation?  I mean, if they are infrequent should they still be treated with beta blockers?  

Also, is it ok to take the betas along with Xanax?  Should these meds be separated by a few hours?  

Thanks so much.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Sep 28th, 2011, 5:15pm

Benign palpitations are a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that in the absence of known characteristics otherwise responsible, the only remaining conclusion is one of benign origin. Benign palpitations do not require medical treatment and in doing so, physicians are merely seeking to reduce symptoms.

Off-label use of drugs is their application to problems for which the drug was not specifically designed to treat. An example would be Tagamet, an older histamine II blocker used to promote acid reduction in the stomach. This drug also has a negative influence on libido and is sometimes prescribed to persons wherein their sexual drives are disinhibited by certain neurological disease. The use of Tagamet is decreasing libido in such patients would constitute an off-label application.

There is no contraindication to the use of anxiolytics such as Xanax in the presence of beta-blocker therapy.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
marti

I Love YaBB 2!

missouri ozarks
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2011, 2:38pm

[font=Courier New][/font][size=12][/size][color=#ff0000][/color]

Thanks again.  I am learning a lot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1