Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about PVCs and atrial fibrillation? RLR? (Read 4592 times)
boringdanielle

I Love YaBB 2!

Question about PVCs and atrial fibrillation? RLR?
Sep 28th, 2011, 3:04pm

I just read an article about how skipped beats, and a fish flip flopping in your chest can be a sign of atrial fibrillation. That is exactly how my PVCs feel. Now I am confused!! Another question is, can  PVCs ever TURN into afib? I am still learning about all of this and these stinkin PVCs scare me greatly. I have worn a heart monitor about a year ago for a month and it just showed PVCs and PACs. The dr told me not to worry. I usually don't but then inevitably I come across an article that gets me thinking again.  I really don't seek this stuff out, Tongue it always seems to find me!! UGH!!! Any input is great! I LOVE this site!!!

IP Logged
saab

Re: Question about PVCs and atrial fibrillation? RLR?
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2011, 3:54am

I think that the basic difference is that pvc's are one beat, whereas atrial fib is an abnormal rhythm for an extended period. I have read that pvc's (early extra beats from the ventricles) do not have anything to do with atrial fibrillation. Pac's (early beats from the atria) can be related, but can also be normal.

They originate from different parts of the heart, though of course palpitations can have external causes as well, like vagus nerve stimulation due to stress, caffeine, digestion or body position.

http://www.texasheart.org/HIC/HeartDoctor/answer_932.cfm

From what I have read, pvc's are clearly identifiable on an ekg. I think it would be apparent on an ekg if it was atril fib rather than pvc's as atrial fib is a sustained fluttering of the atria.

Just because they feel the same doesn't mean they are the same. A pain in your hand could be anything from a muscle pain, an injury pain, nerve pain or a hundred other things.

My pvc's feel like a flip in my chest too, but it has never been suggested that they are anything other than pvc's. Even though I have hundreds a day at time, they are still pvc's not afib.

Also, we have to be careful of thinking that how something 'feels' is relevant. It isn't - what you actually feel is not a good indication of whether there is a problem or not. Some people feel their palpitations and some don't. Whether you feel them or not is irrelevant apparently and of no diagnostic significance. The only thing that matters is what the tests - ekg and echo - say.

What we think and feel about our palpitations isn't a reliable source of any information - if we listen to our feelings and negative thougts we just end up scaring ourselves. Better to listen to the scientific results - which are based on established medical facts rather than our own irrational fears.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print