Send Topic Print
New to the Forum (Read 8738 times)
Oz Dragonfly
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

New to the Forum
Oct 05th, 2011, 12:26am

Hi,
I'm new to this site but think it is great to have found a forum with peope uffering similar things to me.

I suffer Anxiety and Panc disorder. I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago after I hada bad heart scare that saw me transferred to a major city hospital and undergo an angiogram (came back clear).  My medical records have a lot of unanswered questions that have left me in this never ending cycle of heart related anxiety.

History:
2.5 yrs ago went to hopspital thinking I was having anxiety...but had chest pains so they did a troponin test. It cme back at 0.1 so I was sent to a larger hosptial. The test was repeated and showed Troponin of 0.01 I did have minor ecg 'dips' so they did a precautionary angio.

I have since had a full echo, cardiac stress test and lots of bloodwork, all coming back normal.

2 weeks ago I had another major panic attack, ended up in the hospital and was administered buscopan to settle my stomach. I had a reaction that saw my heart rate elevate to over 150 and my blood pressure skyrocket (normaly mine is about 130/80).  2 troponin tests came back 0.00 but ecg showed slight st wave 'dips'.  I spoke to my GP and he said that is a normal event i the middle of a panic attack and is a sign I wasn't getting enough oxygen.

All the time I have suffered anxiety,I have had stomach problems.. I am currently on 40mg f Nexium - but it doesnt seem to help.  I am constantly fearful of every chest pain....and of course left side is where I seem to have all my trouble.

I am on 15mg of Lexapro and the contraceptive pill also on .25 of xanax as required (I try to limit to 1 a day if I can).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE......I want to know my heart is ok,ad even after tests I still have this underlying fear that the GP has missed something. Im consdering getting  referral to a cardiologist - just to get an expert opinion.  

Any advice would be so appreciated.....I'm desperate  Undecided

Oz Dragonfly

IP Logged
Oz Dragonfly
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: New to the Forum
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2011, 12:47am

Oh and just an add on. I sem to suffer more from a racing sensation than palpitations.

IP Logged
marti

I Love YaBB 2!

missouri ozarks
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2011, 10:44am

Welcome aboard.  Hope you find some answers.  I know you will find some comfort here.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2011, 3:12pm

Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting. I need you to clarify several points for me before we discuss the circumstances.

Please state your age.

When you say "a precautionary angio" are you referring to angiogram or angioplasty? Also please tell me whether you've ever been evaluated for Mitral Valve Prolapse via echocardiogram and if so, what the results were of the study. Also indicate whether you have any serious medical conditions, past or present.

Please describe more specifically what occurs both just prior to the panic attacks and during. Tell me how long the events persist before a return to baseline and if you feel washed out afterwards. If so, for how long.

Also describe more specifically your "stomach problems." I need to know precisely what your symptoms are, whether they wake you from sleep and is there any period where the symptoms become worse or better. Also tell me how long you've been taking Nexium at the dose mentioned and whether you took it at any lesser dose prior to now.

You stated that you had a "reaction" which produced sinus tachycardia. Please clarify whether the reaction was to the bucospan or something else. Also tell me specifically what your blood pressure levels were, since I am unable to determine what "skyrocketing" constitutes in this instance.

Please state the contraception pill prescribed and how long you've been taking it.

Tell me how long you've been taking Lexapro and Xanax. Unless you suffer from clinical depression with anxiety features, then the combination of of Lexapro and Xanax are not the wisest choice, particularly in patients with demonstrated panic disorder.

So provide me with clear and detailed answers to my inquiry and we'll proceed in discussing what's likely taking place and suggestions to get you to the point you want to be with respect to your health concerns.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Oz Dragonfly
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2011, 12:20am

RLR wrote on Oct 5th, 2011, 3:12pm:
Okay, welcome to the forum and I've read your posting. I need you to clarify several points for me before we discuss the circumstances.

Please state your age.

When you say "a precautionary angio" are you referring to angiogram or angioplasty? Also please tell me whether you've ever been evaluated for Mitral Valve Prolapse via echocardiogram and if so, what the results were of the study. Also indicate whether you have any serious medical conditions, past or present.

Please describe more specifically what occurs both just prior to the panic attacks and during. Tell me how long the events persist before a return to baseline and if you feel washed out afterwards. If so, for how long.

Also describe more specifically your "stomach problems." I need to know precisely what your symptoms are, whether they wake you from sleep and is there any period where the symptoms become worse or better. Also tell me how long you've been taking Nexium at the dose mentioned and whether you took it at any lesser dose prior to now.

You stated that you had a "reaction" which produced sinus tachycardia. Please clarify whether the reaction was to the bucospan or something else. Also tell me specifically what your blood pressure levels were, since I am unable to determine what "skyrocketing" constitutes in this instance.

Please state the contraception pill prescribed and how long you've been taking it.

Tell me how long you've been taking Lexapro and Xanax. Unless you suffer from clinical depression with anxiety features, then the combination of of Lexapro and Xanax are not the wisest choice, particularly in patients with demonstrated panic disorder.

So provide me with clear and detailed answers to my inquiry and we'll proceed in discussing what's likely taking place and suggestions to get you to the point you want to be with respect to your health concerns.

Best regards,

Thankyou for your reply.....now lets get all those questions answered!

I'm 43.

It was an angiogram - clear result.

I had an echo done in 2007 - results state all 4 cardiac valves are morphogically normal with no evidence of prolapse or stenosis. Estimated RSVP is 34mm Hg. Left Ventricular output 70%.

I have no and have not had serious medical conditions apart from Panic and Anxiety disorder.

My panic attacks tend to begin with me feeling twinges/pains in my left upper chest/abdomen area. My thoughts automatically seem to go to 'is it my heart?' then my stomach kicks in and I tend to spend a fair amount of time in the loo.  I get hot, sweaty and flushed. I take my pulse regularly...which really only scares me more. I feel detached from everything and feel like I may pass out. The attacks can last for a short or long time but the effects generally are felt for 3 to 4 hours, in that time I will basically have lost everything that I have eaten and yes, I am washed out and have lost about 9 kilo's in the last 4 months.

My stomach probelms.....I have taken nexium before at 20mg about a year and a half ago, I stopped because I didnt think they were helping. I take slippery elm before every meal.  I have been treated for the heliobactor bug twice.  My stomach is worse when I am a little hungry but is then affected depending on what I eat. I eat gluten free and try to eat grain free where possible (so muffins are baked using almond meal).  I don't often get woken by my stomach, but if I do I find a couple of dry rice cookies and water help. I have been taking Nexium at 40mg for 5 weeks but still occassionaly need a milanta/quickeze tablet.  I have horrible nausea, a gnawing feeling and lots of noise and movement in my gut.

The 'reaction' was to the Buscopan - the nurse was quite suprised and said it only happens to one out of every thousand people. I can't answer the question about what it went up to...I know it was very high as the Doctor came in to see me to tell me I needed to stay for 6 hours to repeat the troponin tests.

The contraceptive pill I take is Levlen ED and I have been taking it for approximately 12 months.

I was taking Paroxetine (20mg) for 2 1/2  years and in May 2011 began to withdraw slowly. Got to 7.5mg and then had severe panic attacks and anxiety (which put me in hospital).  The GP took me off Paroxetine cold turkey for 3 days then put me on Lexapro 5mg for 3 days, 10mg for 10 days and now on 15mg in total I have only been on it since September 15, 2011, so less than a month.

I am not on Xanax - sorry thought it was the same stuff with a different name - its actually Alprazolam. I was givn it 2 1/2 years ago when all this trouble really first started. I hardly ever used it. Then when I went cold turkey I used it 3 times a day, just to cope and now only take it when needed - mainly to sleep and then only 1 x .25mg.

I hope this answers everything - if not let me know.

And THANKYOU......I really need to get myself sorted out.

Oz Dragonfly

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Oct 6th, 2011, 3:26pm

Okay, Alprazolam is the pharmaceutical or generic form of the brand name Xanax.

Your heart is healthy. That much is strikingly evident. Invasive testing at the level of an angiogram rules out heart disease and frankly, you're too young. Only in cases of severe hypercholesterolemia do we see persons in your age group affected by cardiovascular compromise by way of atherosclerosis.

The "twinges" that you are referring to in the left upper abdominal, lower costal rib border of the chest are GI-related and my suspicion would be Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which is extremely common. This is greatly supported by the fact that you soon afterwards find yourself in the restroom for extended periods. IBS is a dysfunction of water re-uptake at the level of the colon and is found to exist in high correlation with persons suffering from significant anxiety and or panic disorder. It is a diagnosis of exclusion, so there is no test to detect its presence, but rather its symptoms which persist to the exclusion of any other probable cause. Realize that IBS can make patients feel extremely ill at times and incidence of colonic spasms also produce benign palpitation events, as well as a strange sensorium that causes light-headedness, shallow breathing due to pressure against the diaphragm, esophageal discomfort, sweating and other manifestations. These collective symptoms oftentimes cause the patient to feel that something dreadful is taking place. Patients with IBS fall into one of three categories, constipation predominant, diarrhea predominant and mixed variant.

It is also of note that Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Nexium do not provide the relief anticipated. Many people with IBS feel sensations of hyperacidity, eructation (belching) and general pressure with cramping that may be only brief or persist for long periods. The general result of an exacerbation of IBS is a bowel movement within one of the three characterizations mentioned. Once complete, the patient often feels tired and much like the sensation associated with over-sleeping.

It is also very significant that you state you are eating a "gluten free" diet. Realize that this is an extremely common pattern among persons with IBS because they feel that certain triggers are inducing the events they suffer by reason of cause and effect. In other words, if they eat high-fiber muffins or other products high in fiber content, the typical outcome with persons suffering from IBS is a rather dramatic response that produces indigestion, bloating, cramping and ultimate need to evacuate the bowel. This is not due to Celiac disease and contrary to popular beliefs, it is far more rare than one might imagine. It also requires specific biopsy of small intestine tissues for confirmation.

People with IBS who choose a gluten-free diet do in fact feel better much of the time, but this is not because they have Celiac disease or even gluten intolerance. It's because these products typically cause an increase in stomach acidity, produce gas and ultimately cause an overt response by the colon. Also realize that gas that becomes trapped in the duodenum can produce significant gastrointestinal distress because it applies pressure against the retroperitoneal portion of the juncture of the stomach and duodenum.

A good trial to determine whether IBS is the actual culprit is to have your doctor prepare what is commonly referred to as a GI cocktail, consisting of 30mg of Maalox, 20mg of Donnatal Elixer, and 10mg of viscous lidocaine (the lidocaine can be withheld if no symptoms of gastric burning are evident). The main ingredient which acts most prominently is the Donnatal, which is a belladonna alkaloid and works very quickly to relax the smooth muscle of the GI tract and often prevents further exacerbation of the IBS event. When an overt incident of IBS symptoms arises, the consumption of this cocktail will invariably produce amazing results. It is not, however, a product that you can take on a regular basis. It simply serves to better identify the underlying cause for your GI distress that typically results in a panic threshold event.

The treatment of IBS in the presence of anxiety disorder is often best accommodated by treating the anxiety. Lexapro is within a class of drugs known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and work very well in some patients with clinical depression. They are not, however, the best choice when anxiety is predominant and in some instances, can actually exacerbate panic threshold events, although infrequently.

It is also very important for you to consider establishing a relationship with a professional licensed and experienced with patients suffering from panic disorder. The underlying cause and cognitive patterns which predispose a patient to panic disorder must be addressed since medications only suppress symptoms and not the cause. Psychotropic medications are not intended for long-term use, although many persons remain under prescription for years. The best approach is a 16-week maximum prescription, augmented with direct psychological intervention to help establish an approach to permanent resolution.

From a health standpoint, there is nothing wrong with your heart in any manner at all. The tests fully support this fact. In other words, you are in absolutely no danger of suffering a cardiac event and certainly not loss of life. You need to establish a firm plan and do not dabble in self-diagnosis by way of using supplements or non-applicable diets. Make an effort to work through your doctor in finding an anxiolytic which works, determine whether IBS is the underlying cause for your GI difficulties, and seek out psychological intervention to create less dependency upon drugs and the ability to abate panic disorder from daily life.

You're going to be just fine. I was in practice for more than 40 years and this sort of presentation was extremely common.

Best regards,

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Oz Dragonfly
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2011, 11:15pm

Dear RR,

Thankyou for your reply. It is comforting to hear that I'm ok.
You will be happy to know that I am under the care of a Psychologist and am 6 sessions into working though an anxiety workbook.  I do meditate and also attend yoga when able, I do find this helps.

Can you or anyone give me names of medications that are more specific to treat anxiety. I certainly would not say I suffer depression, although the anxiety and panic can wear me down sometimes.

Again, thank you

Oz Dragonfly

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print