Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
beetroot and bowels! (Read 7837 times)
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
beetroot and bowels!
Oct 24th, 2011, 3:56am

this isn't very nice, but is worrying.  After a bowel movement I noticed that what looked like blood was appearing around the contents of the loo (sorry!).  No sign of blood on the tissue, or visible to naked eye. I did panic a bit, then remembered I had eaten some beetroot the day before. Maybe it was because of that?  Was careful not to eat any more beetroot, but the next day the same happened.  The longer I left it before flushing, the more red appeared.  Seems to have stopped now, but I don't know if it is actually blood, or because of the beetroot in some way.  I have no piles, fissures that I know of, and no sign of blood anywhere else.  Any ideas?  How long does beetroot hang around in your system for?  I didn't have very much at all!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: beetroot and bowels!
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2011, 3:47pm

Hello Rosekay,

You can take a deep breath and relax. Beetroot commonly produces crimson discoloration of stool and it can take several days to clear up completely if your bowels are moving slowly. The root can even cause discoloration of urine.

You're fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2011, 1:27am

Phew!  Many thanks, again.  I know I worry, but I do actually know 2 people with terminal bowel cancer, so obviously that was very much on my mind.  I had never noticed this sort of thing before, so it was a bit of a shock.  Thank you very much!
Rosekay

IP Logged
olewis8
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2011, 1:33am

Beetroot surely are pesky one, they scared the nuts out of me too (did you see what just did, lol), its fine, beetroot are natural color agents, but these are really good for your blood, it improves hemoglobin counts of your blood.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print