Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Palpitations/Ectopics and heart rate (Read 7145 times)
27pence
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Palpitations/Ectopics and heart rate
Nov 20th, 2011, 1:48pm

Dear all,

I have a question, as we all know ectopic beats are harmless (well physically anyway) in most cases.

I was driving along today, and slightly stressed started to have a panic attack. During this time my heart rate probably doubled, (I could feel the pounding in my head) I then had a number of ectopic beats, and because I could feel the pounding, i could feel the momentary pause. Now like most of us here, part of me was thinking FFS while the other OMG i am going to die

My question to all, and RLR if he around is - Can Ectopic Beats/PVC's/PAC's during a rapid heart rate be dangerous, or are these benign independent of heart rate.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Palpitations/Ectopics and heart rate
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2011, 4:10pm

Okay, well initially you need to refrain from using the terms PAC and PVC in describing your palpitations. While vagus nerve-induced palpitations can appear on ECG as either pre-atrial or pre-ventricular, the terms used to describe the events are more specifically directed to premature conduction events that originate from within the heart.

It's all too common for people experiencing benign palpitations to toss about terms such as bigeminy, trigeminy, couplets, triplets and so on, but the fact remains that these are more purely descriptive terms for intra-cardiac events due to specific causes.

Having said that, the cause for palpitations during sinus tachycardia does not necessarily suggest pathology. I'm uncertain what you are referring to by "FFS" and again, it makes for difficulty at times in trying to determine precisely what people are attempting to convey.

It is far more beneficial if you describe more precisely what you sense and feel rather than what you suspect that you have, if you see my point.

Certain palpitation events which occur during significant exertion by the heart can constitute a concern, but they are most common in persons wherein heart disease is present. Although I don't know your specific medical history, I seriously doubt that it's the case in your instance.

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
27pence
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

UK
Re: Palpitations/Ectopics and heart rate RLR more info
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:01am

Dear RLR

Thank you for the reply, through certain medical testing (an echocardiogram and a number of ECGs, I know that my heart is healthy. I have recently started being anxious again, I should add that for the last 10 months I have been relatively anxiety free, and thus hardly any palpitations occured. I know in my non-panic attack mind that I am fine.

When I was driving on Sunday night, I had a panic attack, and thus my heart rate increased. I was just a bit concerned if having skipped beats when the heart rate was elevated to say around 150bpm would be dangerous. I am pretty sure though that the reason the skipped beats felt worse, was because my heart rate was very fast, and thus they felt more pronounced, i.e. the momentary pauses in between a fast heart rate, felt more disconcerting than when I normally have skipped beats which is when at rest and thus heart rate slower. In terms of what I feel during a palpitation it may be either a thud in the chest/throat, a feeling of the chest/throat being pressed, or the skipped beat feeling

I am pretty sure I know the answer, but I just wanted reassurance, that skipped beats during a fast heart rate during a panic attack in a structurally normal heart are as benign as when at rest with a heart rate of 70-80 bpm.

I hope you can reply to this again, and put my normally logical mind at ease.

Regards

27pence

(FFS is not an acronym relating to medical issues, it is a rude way of saying "for crying out loud, why are these stupid ectopics happening again")

IP Logged
Keyooshi
Forum Newbies

My heart is driving
me crazy!

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2011, 11:36am

Hi, all,
I just wanted to reply to 27Pence that yes, I've been there, done that.

There was a time when I used to box (spar) quite regularly. This was about 12 years ago. It was the day I stopped when I had my worst palpitation ever. I was a bit short on breath, my heart was racing. I would guess around 170. I stopped to catch my breath and BAM. Heart palpitations!

I had a few major beats and flutters and oh man, I thought that was the end. Here comes that sudden cardiac arrest.  
I now know that it was so bad because my heart rate was so high.
I probably could have kept boxing but, that was the day I stopped, ike many other things in my life due to the palpitations.

I am here today to find comfot as I am having alot of butterfly sensations in my chest that are not really palpitations. I think my anxiety is rather high and i'm compounding my problems and causing more palps. This forum always makes me feel better and after reading some of your and others problems, I already feel a bit better.
THanks.   Cheesy

IP Logged
themoabird

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2011, 2:57pm

I've had nasty palps with my heart rate in the 170s-180s, both running and playing squash.

Normally, I just plough on, but I do remember stepping off a treadmill once during a particularly bad episode. It was just too disconcerting.

I've always taken the attitude that if you're doing competitive sport, then there are risks attached (though there is evidence to suggest that the risks associated with extreme exertion are compensated for by the fitness gains accrued - because obviously one lives most of one's life at relatively low levels of exertion). But the risks are pretty small - certainly less than associated with smoking, for example - and actually given that we've all got to die sometime, dying suddenly doing something one loves, isn't a bad way to go (albeit not much fun for anybody around at the time).

I guess I should say that the stuff about risk doesn't really apply if you're just exercising within normal parameters (assuming absence of underlying condition, etc). I am talking about competitive sport, where you're deliberately pushing yourself to the max.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2011, 4:25pm

Okay, benign palpitations in the presence of sinus tachycardia hold absolutely no evidence that anything is wrong. It is common for them to occur during such events and regardless of characterization or circumstances, benign palpitation events are universally harmless in nature.

I can't make it any plainer and it's a fact. You are in no danger whatsoever from benign palpitation events regardless of the setting in which they take place.  

Best regards and Good Health

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print