Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm absolutely terrified. (Read 6785 times)
Brittanergh
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

I'm absolutely terrified.
Jan 18th, 2012, 1:42am

I must admit, I'm not one who often dwells on issues to this extent, but for the past year and a half, my anxiety disorder has become so painful to deal with.. it all culminated in palpitations some time around early last year.. I received help.. moved on.. then in early Jan, it all started to rush back. again.

I had a 3 day monitor with two probes, I exercised during the time, and they picked up 'no abnormality, other than slight bundle branch block' (The kind that doesn't matter.. I forget if that's left or right). I had an EKG, and a blood work.. but I still feel like there's something I need to deal with.

I woke up this morning, the palpitations have calmed over the past week at least.. and began to try and get some work done. I had a palpitation, something I tried to ignore, despite the unsettling fear it causes me. And for once, something strange happened. I had another. Then another. Then another.. I finally reached for the phone to call for an ambulance.. I seemed to have calmed slightly enough to just give my boyfriend a call (This is all 30 minutes ago..). He told me to calm down. I told him I was afraid because my heart rate leaped up and my face tingled. (My arms have also really hurt this morning but I'm hoping it's unrelated because they both hurt around the muscle in the elbow and have done all morning.)

He told me it might've been to do with the fact I had quite a large sugar intake this morning. I'm alone at home, absolutely terrified, and don't really know what to do about this, or what to say.

I don't want to go on anti-depressants, and I don't want to be scared anymore. I'm scared that I'm going to fall over and die.. I exercise 1 hour a day normally, intensive cycling, and do fine. I sleep well, mostly eat well, and keep myself occupied with my studies.

I really don't want my life to go at the age of 18.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I'm absolutely terrified.
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2012, 2:54am

hi
I'm no doctor. So I know that everything I say now will be of no real help for you..Smiley
I can understand your anxiety. I understand you feel that if your live is in danger.
If you have tests and if your doctor thinks you're ok and you can do intensive cycling and do this without much problem till now, (I wish I would have the courage to exercise again..so please do exercise if your doc says its ok) you could start to think if its logic that your heart is in no shape or in a bad state.

What your telling (symptoms) I sometimes had myself..tingling face rapid heart beat, skipped heart beats, feelings of your in complete arousal.. mind your breathing also.. do you breath fast and high, or forget to breathe? or have difficulty just having a normal breathing pattern..?

This could very well be anxiety attack like or hyperventilation symptoms.

But again..i'm no doc..

I hope RLR will help you with your questions.. write some down here..and try to relax (I know how difficult this is when you are alone)
this site is managed from the US...so mind the time gap

hang in there !!!

IP Logged
Brittanergh
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2012, 3:38am

Thanks a lot for your response.. I guess my questions would be:

Should I have any more tests done? What can I do to alleviate the stress and anxiety response? How should I react to heart palpitations when my natural response is utter terror?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2012, 6:12pm

Okay, it's very important for you to understand that these events are originating from outside the heart and do not constitute a heart problem of any type. Furthermore, the events are entirely incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event or transforming into some dangerous arrhythmia.

You are frightened because you don't understand what is exactly taking place, moreover, you are misinterpreting what is occurring. You are not anywhere near death or injury of any kind as a result of these specific palpitation events. They arise from very significant stress and or anxiety.

It is not uncommon at all to experience a sequence of the palpitation events as well and very often a change in body position will break the pattern. Regardless, they will always cease and the only outcome you will ever experience is the sensation itself. Nothing more.

The intake of sugar and implications that it causes excitability or nervousness is actually an old wives tale. Consumption of complex sugars, however, can cause gas production in the GI tract which can induce palpitation events because the nerve which causes the heart to respond by palpitation is also the same nerve which innervates the GI tract.

You're going to be just fine and your life is in no danger whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Brittanergh
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2012, 3:20pm

Thank you, RLR. I've been living with an anxiety disorder for a long while. The other day I was discussing my issues with a friend, who suggested to me I was stressed. It's not something I think about. I'm 18 years old and I lead a life cooking and cleaning for two, studying an incredibly complex electronics engineering course and keeping my body in shape with very difficult exercise every day. I came to the conclusion I was stressed. It's something I'll try and keep in mind, and hope it'll help to think about the underlying assets, and 'de-stress' myself, as such. I suppose re-assurance is something that I've lived for in the past, an underlying motivation to defeat anxiety in the short term, but ultimately something that will not fade until I learn to control the fear.

IP Logged
Brittanergh
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2012, 1:38am

I will add a secondary response in, not as a fear for my heart, but more as a precautionary measure to my anxiety issues.

I've been attempting to live the past few days with a more 'chilled out' approach to the things I'm going through. I've tried sitting back and relaxing during exam revision, trying not to fret about the silly things, but ultimately, when the palpitations come, they do cause me mental strain.

For that reason, I'm curious to know if there are any resources that are available to learn a little more and understand what it is that I'm going through.

Due to an extremely late puberty (medical problems, and medically induced hormones now that I'm older), my breast development is also giving me trouble. I fell asleep with significant chest pain last night, and again, it was a worrying factor, not knowing if this was emitted from my budding left breast, or if it was in fact a chest problem.

I also found that the 'change in body position' has been incredibly useful. If I assume a certain sitting position at a certain time of morning, my palpitations seem to be far more prominent, it's very odd.

It's an odd sensation, and ultimately one that I'm looking to curb. Now that I've been trying to reject a medical issue underlying this, I'm seeking to take control of the mental unease. My palpitations have *not* decreased in frequency, but my adverse reaction to them has changed, mostly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print