Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intense throat pressure (Read 19954 times)
Stu M

Keep Smiling :0)

Northants - UK
Intense throat pressure
May 31st, 2012, 3:49am

Hi RLR, I hope your well,  Its been a while since Ive been on the forum (not sure if you will remember me), I have been trying to live with my anxiety symptoms and skipped heartbeats and enjoy life and my family as much as possible.  And to be fair Ive mostly been able to keep going without panicking too much.

There have been times where its not been possible and Ive now had a few instances of documented supraventricular tachycardia which has needed medical intervention to stop the tachycardia, however all tests ecg tests show a healthy heart Smiley

Now Im sure your fully aware I wouldnt be posting to say 'all is well, have a nice day' and yes Im afraid that is true again!  Im currently having some issues on-top of my 'normal' ectopic heartbeats.

Over the past 6 months and getting worse over the last 2 weeks or so, I get an intense feeling of pressure in my neck, then up into my ears and down to my chest.  This happens when I get up from sitting and also after an ectopic beat.  This feeling is like my neck is going to explode from the pressure invoked and is not just a tight feeling.  Its almost like there is too much blood in the arteries in my neck and they will explode.  

I sometimes feel lightheaded with this, but almost always i have to sit down as the pressure goes into my ears and back into my chest and it feels like my heart is struggling to beat and I cant get a breath. It takes some time for me to feel like Im back to normal.

Ive heard the phrase globus before, but Im concerned its a blood pressure issue, because of the standing up part of things, and if so will this issue cause a worse symtom?  To say Im a bit worried is an understatement at the moment.

Its stopping me having a life with my family again as sometimes I cant lift my child without this pressure feeling Sad

If you can shine any light on what this could possibly be, as ever it would be most welcome.

Stu

IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Re: Intense throat pressure
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2012, 10:40am

Do you mean neck or throat. If its the throat, I get that from acid reflux.

Perhaps you are describing something different. When  I have it its hard to swallow - would that fit at all?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2012, 6:27pm

Hi Stu,

Okay, what you're describing is not globus. Globus is a sensory distortion of the larynx by the vagus nerve which yields the feeling that something is stuck in the throat or that the air passage is becoming restricted. It is often the precursor to panic attack in such sufferers.

What you are describing is a sympathetic response that is likely producing hypertensive episodes. Unless you already own one, I would suggest that you purchase a sphygmomanometer to check your blood pressure during the events and record the results to share with your doctor. The episodes are common among persons experiencing significant anxiety or even panic and although the blood pressure readings can sometimes be dramatic, its important to realize that this particularly variation in pressure seldom results in any type of vascular accident, but nevertheless needs to be addressed.  

It is important for you to see your doctor regarding the blood pressure readings obtained if they are greater than 140/90. The combination of clonidine and an ACE inhibitor work well in helping to restore normalcy in blood pressure and in most instances, medications are temporary.

It's also important to point out here that many patients who experience the symptoms you describe find them arising subsequent to episodic anger episodes or experiencing frustration of intense levels in which the patient feels trapped or relegated to a highly unwanted circumstance or situation. While this may not be the exact case where you're concerned, it's critical to explore precipitating causes and methods for dealing with the circumstances.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2012, 4:47am

Hi,

Sorry its taken a while to reply, technical issues have meant Ive not had access to the forum untill the end of last week Sad

I have a blood pressure monitor at home and have taken my blood pressure fairly regularly.  Normal resting is ususally about 135/85 ish depending on my stress levels.

When I have these episodes, depending on when i catch them as they ususally go after about 30 seconds - 1 minute or so, more often or not i get fairly low readings but nothing significant 115/75 ish or occasionally high 150/90 ish.  Sorry this information is a bit vague, Im going to try and document things better over this week.

Ive spoken to my GP who sees my blood pressure results as OK and wouldnt pursue this any further or look at a 24 hour monitor, however she has booked me in for a 24 hour ecg instead.

I will try and describe the symptoms again as well if I may;

It feels like my upper torso, my neck and throat and up into my ears and eyes fills with air pressure to the point of it feeling like my upper body cannot contain the pressure, even to the point that my ears sometimes fill and need popping.  That would be the worst, at other times it just feels like my neck and throat have this, Im thinking my neck muscles feel contracted as well so the whole area feels locked up.

It happens a lot when standing up?  or after a squeezy skipped heartbeat?  and when excerting myself not significantly ie when climbing stairs.

I am suffering from anxiety I am aware of that, I have a stressfull job which i am in the process of looking for new and hopefully better employment.  I get anxious in situations that I shouldnt and am struggling to exercise due to the skipped beats and pressure feeling I get if i try.

My GP has also asked me to start taking a mild antidepressant also which i havent done as yet.

I feel maybe exercise is the key, but I cant seem to get past these syptoms that stop me as they are such a profound feeling it makes me have to stop to 'recover'!

Thanks Stu

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2012, 11:48am

Update:

My GP has changed her mind and scheduled me to have a 24 hour blood pressure monitor fitted on 1st August.  Followed by a 24 hour ECG the next day.

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2012, 4:15am by Stu M »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2012, 6:18pm

The blood pressure readings posted do not constitute a concern at all and I will share with you that I've encountered this presentation as explained by other patients over the years I was in practice. In no single instance was an underlying cause ever identified and in all instances the symptoms abated either permanently or for extended periods before arising again on a limited basis. In most of the instances captured while in the clinical setting, elevated blood pressure sometimes reaching 190/110 were observed in combination with mild to moderate sinus tachycardia, absent any chest pain or weakness.

It is of note, however, that the sensation of pressure such as that described is entirely inconsistent with blood pressure itself, which cannot be sensed in such a manner. The phenomenon appears to be more consistent with a sensory or feedback disturbance associated with the nervous system and does not appear to produce any other symptomatic features. I can tell you that in virtually all instances, the patients experiencing the phenomenon also demonstrated significant levels and patterns of anxiety over the course of time as a patient.

Please let me know the results of your Holter monitor and I'll look forward to hearing back from you at that time.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:11am

Thanks for your reply, as soon as I have the results I'll post again Smiley

IP Logged
Stu M

Northants - UK
Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2012, 5:54am

Still waiting for my ECG Sad

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:27pm

Hello Stu,

Let us know when you have the results and I'll be glad to discuss the results or answer any questions.

Best regards,

IP Logged
baobaowudi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2012, 8:45pm

Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, Diablo III itemsand then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head,  his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "

Cheap WOW Gold

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print