Acid and the heart (Read 5525 times)
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Acid and the heart
Nov 05th, 2012, 1:34am

As my palpitations most often seem to be related to digestion, and since I have experienced an almost "palp-free" period when my doc put me on a proton-pump-inhibetor (Pantoprazol), I have often been wondering about the mechanism and connection that (maybe?) exists between too much gastric acid and benign palpitations.

Is it chemical, I mean does a low pH-value facilitate "wayward impulses" in the vagus nerve?
Or does too much acid create pockets of gas in the GI-system, which RLR so many times has described as a possible factor behind palps?

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Acid and the heart
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:23pm

The vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve and the relationship between vagus nerve-induced palpitations and GI distress is termed cardiogastric syndrome.

Indeed, irritation at the level of the GI tract can induce inappropriate vagus nerve stimulation proper via the pneumogastric nerve, resulting in a response by the organs at the terminal ends of the vagus nerve, one of which is naturally the heart.

Under such circumstances, a reduction in GI symptoms is directly correlated with a reduction in benign palpitations.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2012, 3:24am

Thanks a lot!

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2012, 3:34am

Maybe it has been discussed before, but does this Wiki-page give a sort of accurate description of the connection/causal influences between the cardiac and gastric systems?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome

IP Logged
baobaowudi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2012, 8:41pm

Body feels not good, then go to the
Cheap WOW Goldhospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head,  his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "Cheap Diablo 3 Gold

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print