Send Topic Print
Acid reflux question (Read 5670 times)
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Acid reflux question
Jun 14th, 2012, 10:37am

I have the most awful acid reflux. I cant take some of the usual meds re a blood problem. It was occasional, but now its here to stay and causing the most awful palps. In fact they are none stop.

Any suggestions?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=343485201086
WWW   IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Re: Acid reflux question
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2012, 12:54pm

I've had my fair share of reflux with Crohn's, at times continual reflux for months on end. I assume you're talking about drugs such as Omeprazole, which worked for me when I had the heartburn.

Have you tried Gaviscon? Also, milk of magnesia is an antacid. Read about it on the NHS website Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login.

It's probably not relevent to you, but since I have Crohn's one of the worst symptoms I have had is diarrhea. What I noticed is when it was bad (several BM/day) I'd have more severe reflux, and when it was better (1-2 BM/day) I'd have less reflux. I've not had any diarrhea for about 18 months so my reflux has disappeared.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2012, 5:33pm

Thanks George. That is interesting. I have had all sorts of stomach issues and at one point could not leave the house.

Now the acid is causing such bad pain in the oesophagus and that awful feeling, as though food is stuck
Undecided

WWW   IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2012, 6:12pm

Okay, if the reflux and hyperacidity are constant then it's advisable here to seek referral to a gastroenterologist and get to the root of the problem in order to experience relief. Over-the-counter products, or even symptomatic treatment by your physician, is only in instances where the condition is either intermittent or mild in nature.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Typer
Gold Forum Member

From England UK

United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2012, 6:32pm

Many thanks. I will get back to my GP.