Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to beat these palps, please help (Read 11353 times)
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Trying to beat these palps, please help
Nov 1st, 2012, 4:32pm

Hi all, great forum you have here!

To give you some history I have been suffering from health anxiety for about six years now, as well as my mother has her entire life (some genes I wish I didn't get!)  Six years ago I had multiple panic attacks and spent 18 months of my life thinking everything was wrong with me.  During this I had palps, but didn't pay a massive amount of attention to them because I thought I had countless other problems.  Well I was able to beat my issues, that is until this past July.

Late July I had 2-3 seconds of a strange fluttering in my chest that scared the life out of me and sent me into a panic attack.  I was finally able to calm down even after having a few more episodes during the next few hours.  I thought I had a heart attack.  I went to the walk in clinic and my BP was fine with a high pulse (no kidding right).  I had massive GERD the months leading up to this, so the GP said it was likely that and put me on prilosec.  Over the next week I forgot about the palps for the most part, but had a few more flutters.  They went away for six weeks but started up again in mid september.

At this point I became obsessed with them!  Constantly checking my pulse and noticing skipped beats, sometimes 2 or 3 in a row.  I notice them more after eating and sometime changing position.  I get them sometimes when laying down going to sleep, but not every night.  I feel the best in the morning, hardly getting any.  They are worse after lunch just sitting at my desk job (constantly focusing on them of course).  They scare me so much that I get red faced sometimes with headaches.  They almost feel like I am in an elevator dropping, like a fight or flight response.  I sometimes feel like they originate in my stomach.  Also of note I have a sore spot in my upper stomach, right in the center just below my rib cage, which I convince myself I feel pain there sometimes when I get palps.

I finally had enough and went back to the GP and got and EKG, which was "perfect" of course!  The doc gave me Xanax which I am taking and a beta blocker, which I am afraid to take.  Also nexium for GERD.

I am just worried because these palps feel different than years ago, but maybe because I am concentrating more on them!  I am healthy 32 yo male with a very mild pulmonary stenosis diagnosed in my teens, I was told this would never get worse because it was so minor.

I never notice the palps when distracted with friends and family or when working in the yard like chopping wood.  But sit me at a desk at work and they are there, daily!  Sometimes 5 or more an hour!  I just want to end it and tell myself they are anxiety, but of course dr google says I need so many more tests even though the gp said fix your anxiety and the palps will go away!  I try for a day or two to tell myself that, but they remain.  Does this sound like just anxiety?

« Last Edit: Nov 02nd, 2012, 4:18am by anxiety1989 »  
  IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Trying to beat these palps, please help
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2012, 3:46am

Hi

I recognize parts of your symptoms. Espescially the connection ith that sore spot under sternum and ribcage. So often I wonder if I have a stomach or esophagus problem. I aslo have the skipped heart beats at moments you have them. I do have pain on my chest 24 / 7 for over some years now. massive burping and belching.

Everyone will point you to anxiety..
but maybe you have GI symptoms and some skipped beats which are in almost every case normal activity of the heart I have learned from some cardiologists I trust.
Upon these symptoms you react with fear anxiety and yes even I do believe (and if you read my postings and the way I doubt things than you know that means something Wink) that focusing and anxiety feelings about your symptons increase your sensations. you train yourself in constant focusing and anticipating the next skipped beats..

The only thing I still dont get or believe is that it was anxiety that CAUSED your sensation in the first place
In my opinion that is something physical ..GI, GERD, just having skipped heart beats which a lot of people have..  but benign..
So it started physical (benign).. but we tricked ourselves in believing it to be deadly or dangerous. (and from the moment we linked that thought to the sensations we are/were doomed) Smiley

So.. what to do?
Maybe look into the GERD thing, and eating.. ( I really do feel the same as you..) in some movements of the body..notice the same things..
and start to believe you are ok although you have symptoms..
Bayroot only wrote yesterday a nice post about it in the thread.... here is a question...... offcourse RLR writes numerous great posts about it.. and in that thread you can read..George and Big Country also and Martin Petersen too.. You will read a lot of similar stories and feelings..

I wish you all the best my friend. I'm struggling with this for 5 years now..started in my mid 30;s !!

hang in there

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2012, 4:32am

Thank you so much for your reply!  I will check out the post you mention, so many people on here seem so versed in this topic, so I am glad I found you guys!

As you said something else may have caused my initial flutters and that's what scares me!  I am on nexium now for gerd hoping that repairs any issues down there that may have caused the flutters, but going for a upper endoscopy would send me over the edge I think!  

I guess it still could be anxiety that caused the initial flutter I suppose, as "fluttering" is an anxiety symptom according to dr google.

Also, wouldn't you say if there was a heart problem than the symptoms wouldn't have went away for 1.5 months when I "forgot" about them?  Agg!

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2012, 4:38pm

RLR any thoughts or concerns with this?  Thanks!

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2012, 12:09pm

Even after having a fun event in my life with my mind distracted (though is it ever really anymore?) I still felt at least few palps an hour.  I assume quantity doesn't mean much as folks on here seem to have some every few beats!

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2012, 5:46pm

Okay, I've read your posting and your concerns. I see nothing of your description to indicate that your symptoms are anything more than anxiety-related.

It's important for you to understand that the vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve. Whenever you experience GI symptoms sufficient enough to produce upward pressure against the diaphragm, the potential greatly increases for inappropriate vagus nerve stimulation to occur and subsequently, palpitations.

Many people with anxiety unwittingly swallow copious amounts of air when eating or drinking beverage, termed aerophagia. Over the course of a meal, aerophagia can generate a great deal of trapped air in the stomach and to some extent, the small intestine. Many people experience vagus nerve-induced palpitations as a consequence.

It's very important under such conditions to be very cognizant of how you eat more than what you eat. Take your time when eating and do not try to consume large boluses of food in each bite, nor wash it down with beverage. These two habits consistently produce trapped air and discomfort. Wait until you finish your meal to consume most of your beverage and drink from a cup rather than a bottle or straw. Again, it's important to take your time eating your meal and avoid rushing to consume food and beverage. Also, products like soup which are served very hot will cause people to draw in air in efforts to help cool it enough to eat. This often results in excessive air being consumed as well.

In general, nervousness and anxiety can produce excessive gas in the gut as well so it's important to refrain from aggravating the condition. If you experience pressure and need to belch, then do so as this will help relieve diaphragmatic pressure from below.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2012, 6:19pm

Thank you so much for replying.  Its just so frustrating because some days they are so consistent and relentless, even on an empty stomach.  These are the days that my mind takes over and makes me think it is not stomach/vagus related.  Your post makes me feel so much better, thanks for the taking the time to help me (and many others).

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2012, 3:19am

I've been trying to take note of what my stomach is like during the worst runs of palps and its seems to correlate nicely.  For example, going to bed last night on a full stomach with burning throat (gerd) I was getting massive runs of three palps in a row every few minutes.  Changing position would help, but they would start up again no matter what.  Even a little chest and stomach discomfort with gas pains and gurgling.  Finally fell asleep and woke this morning to no palps, not a single one in an hour!  Digestion for the win haha.  It helps me so much to know a true heart problem would present symptoms all the time, no matter what my stomach was doing and would likely continue all night into the morning!

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2012, 12:06pm

Continuing to post here to maybe help others or at least get them thinking vagus nerve.  I have noticed the following make palps much worse than the one or two an hour I may normally get (probably because I am focused on them).  When my stomach is gassy and very hungry, or 30 minutes or so after I eat.  Also when sit/lean forward or squat down, standing up always seems to help!!  I know I have gerd present even though I am on nexium because I have burning in my throat.  I also had something scary at home yesterday which made me very nervous and bam, there they were!  

The more I read, I feel like I should request a holter, but I need to trust my doc and take his diagnoses of gerd/anxiety after he read my EKG.  And of course RLR's opinion!  Smiley

IP Logged
baobaowudi
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2012, 7:17pm

Body feels not good, then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, Cheap Diablo 3 Goldand then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head,  his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "
Cheap WOW Gold

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print