Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Atrial bigeminy (Read 3417 times)
wendy63
Forum Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Atrial bigeminy
Nov 05th, 2012, 8:29am

Today I went to the hospital to get my results from the 48 hour monitor I had. The nurse said I had written five episodes in the diary, four episodes were benign ectopics but the other episode was an atrial bigeminy. I have to wear another monitor for a week this time to see if they can catch anymore. The nurse did say it could be nothing or it could be something going on  but without any evidence from the monitor they couldn't really say. I am now so worried that something is going on with my heart. Has anyone else heard of this or suffer from this. Any info would help enormously. Thank you in advance Wendy.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Atrial bigeminy
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2012, 6:40pm

So we know the opinion of the nurse. What did the physician have to say?

There is a great distinction between physicians and professionals in the nursing field when the topic of diagnostic test results and implications are at issue.

You can take a breath and relax. The term bigeminy is one of a series of clinical terms relating to cardiac rhythm disturbances and moreover, one of the most misapplied terms when a patient presents with variable ectopic patterns. In other words, what appears to technically be defined as a bigeminy pattern is actually nothing more than coincidental ectopics arising at what appears to be a recognized tempo in the midst of a normal sinus rate. Realize that the true form of these rhythm patterns doesn't share the company of benign palpitations in an intermittent form but is rather persistent throughout the course of the ECG test strip.

Your tests will turn out fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print