Send Topic Print
Is it in our heads? (Read 8815 times)
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Is it in our heads?
Nov 19th, 2012, 5:09am

So I have been dealing with skipped beats for almost three months now, every day and just about every hour.  Some days I wake up with them and others it takes an hour or so for them to get going.

I have become obsessed with them and checking my pulse often, sometimes I am feel my pulse weakens when I get the funny palpitations feeling, which is mainly in my stomach.

Now on the flip side, if I am very distracted with something going on in my life I tend not to notice them (or they are not there?).  However, as soon am I am done with that and sit and rest or get back in the car, bam, they are back again.  And not just a flutter or two, but runs or 4 or 5 in a row!  I am almost convinced of two things: a) I always had these, but never noticed them until I became obsessed with my heart or b) my constant thought is CAUSING them!

Thoughts?

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Is it in our heads?
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2012, 6:42am

I guess they can easily be there without being noticed. Or only noticed now and then.
But I don't think they are "only" in our heads.

And I guess some sort of vicious circle kicks in when you start noticing them, counting them, measuring pulse etc; from what "our" doc, RLR writes, mental stress can in some way cause the nervous system/the vagus nerve to produce og transmit more of these "inappropriate, but benign" palpitations.

That's how I think it works.

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2012, 6:47am

Well by "in our heads" i didn't mean we are making them up as I can clearly feel them in my pulse.  I meant more like our minds bring them on, almost like on demand TV Smiley

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2012, 1:14pm

Read my post on the topic Here's a Question for All of You that I just posted today....they are a normal physiological response in the body....aggrevated by all kinds of things....dont let them ruin your life.

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2012, 1:21pm

bigcountry wrote on Nov 19th, 2012, 1:14pm:
Read my post on the topic Here's a Question for All of You that I just posted today....they are a normal physiological response in the body....aggrevated by all kinds of things....dont let them ruin your life.

Wow, good for you, I am so glad someone is beating these darned things!  I wake up and have the same attitude you mentioned some days, but it is quickly ruined by a run of skipped beats.  I get them in a row sometimes (3 or 4) and it almost always brings on a feeling a panic.  I can deal with the single ones so much better!  Sad

Thanks for you reply and best of luck fully beating them!

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2012, 1:48pm

The reason you get defeated by the runs or ones that feel different is because you believe they are harmful...the second you make yourself believe in what RLR says you will see a change in attitude!!  RLR is a doctor of more than 40 years!  He understands these things way more than you and I will ever understand.....

Believe in him and you will see a change.  Go live your life....if you have been checked out and given then OK then lets go have some fun!

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2012, 4:31pm

bigcountry wrote on Nov 19th, 2012, 1:48pm:
The reason you get defeated by the runs or ones that feel different is because you believe they are harmful...the second you make yourself believe in what RLR says you will see a change in attitude!!  RLR is a doctor of more than 40 years!  He understands these things way more than you and I will ever understand.....

Believe in him and you will see a change.  Go live your life....if you have been checked out and given then OK then lets go have some fun!

Yep, I was told by a GP I had a "perfect" EKG.  Now I need to tell my anxious mind that he didn't miss something or that I wished a cardiologist looked at it.  I haven't had any other tests though (bp is good though).  To quote the GP "get rid of your anxity and get your life back".  Maybe he is smarter than I am making him out to be lol   Grin

IP Logged
anxiety1989
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2013, 7:48pm

I would like thank bigcountry for helping me beat my palps.  I took his advice and they slowly went away.  Also during this time I visited my GP for my throat having a burning sensation (which it still does today) and he suggested I get my pulmonary stenosis checked out because it was 15 years since my last echo.  This freaked me out, because I knew he heard my noisy valve clear as day.  I went to the cardio for a full work up and passed with flying colors and luckily my PS did not worsen.  This was in early December and I have only had a dozen or so palps since then, but I ignore them.  Back to my original theory...our heads play a roll in this!  Now I'm onto my throat issue which showed up during the peak of my anxiety about my palps in October, I assume its all related to stress...brutal cycle thinking there is always something wrong with you.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone and I am so glad I found you all Smiley

IP Logged
saab

Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2013, 9:35am

That's great news. I am so pleased for you. Accepting that pvc's are normal heart activity is tough to do, but I think we have to accept it before we can move on. Everything I read tells me they are benign if you have had all the tests, but it is hard to believe on a day when you have hundreds if not thousands.

I have found cognitive therapy books very helpful in getting me to see my palpitations more logically and, though it has taken a long time, I now have more good days than bad, both in terms of the number of palps and the anxiety they cause.

IP Logged
bigcountry

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2013, 11:57am

Anxiety 1989 I am so glad you are feeling better!  Way to go!  The rest of your life is now up to you and you have decided the better road to take!!  Keep it up and never look back and if you do get palps again just run right past them because they mean nothing!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print