Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Takotsubo cardiomyopathy - RLR? (Read 4309 times)
Nat2012
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Takotsubo cardiomyopathy - RLR?
Dec 20th, 2012, 1:49pm

Hello again everyone  Smiley

I was just looking around on the general forum, where Takotsubo cardiomyopathy was mentioned - I heard about this condition a while ago and obviously it concerns me.

As RLR says - we often don't have the in-depth knowledge to determine the realistic probability that we will suffer such conditions.

So I was just wondering , can anyone (RLR?  Tongue) shed a bit of light on the condition, and whether or not it takes more than anxiety for a healthy individual to succumb to?

Thanks in advance

Nat

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2012, 11:40am by Nat2012 »  
  IP Logged
Nat2012
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: Takotsubo cardiomyopathy
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2012, 12:38pm

*bump* Have been trying to read round this myself but not found anything too enlightening and reassuring.

I am of the current persuasion that any sudden shock could cause this - even in my 22 year old seemingly healthy heart

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Re: Takotsubo cardiomyopathy
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2012, 2:33pm

I'm certainly not a doctor, but from what I read here, and from "dr. Wiki" who mentions that it is most common among postmenopause women, I wouldn't think you are in any danger.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takotsubo_cardiomyopathy

Also it is mentioned in Wikipedia that this disease is connected to myocardial infarction and congestive heart, which I believe can be recognized on ecg and other medical tests.
Worried? See your doctor and ask for a ecg to be taken.
But it didn't sound to me as if you had any symptoms at all? If that's the case: don't worry.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Takotsubo cardiomyopathy - RLR?
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2012, 7:45am

Okay, this clinical phenomenon is more commonly known as broken heart syndrome and has been dramatized through film history in the context of people grasping their heart in response to tragic news or traumatic experience.

The condition is brought about by acute stress and results in temporary left ventricular morphology or changes to its shape, causing a transient acute coronary syndrome. It is, however, reversible with no residual or late effects. Prognosis is excellent.

Now that we have discussed the ramifications of such a premise, if you believe that this condition can somehow place you at risk because you are under significant stress, you need to refrain from thinking that absolutely anything is possible and begin guiding your contemplations by what is actually probable.

Persons with health anxiety feel compelled to investigate the furthest extent of risk that could befall them and in doing so, actually come to believe that it subsequently is possible. The relative state of risk becomes unbridled such that even the most remote of circumstances come within reach as they discover them by perusing the internet.

The condition being discussed here has no relevant association to the presence of vagus nerve-induced palpitations as a consequence of stress and anxiety.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print