Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New, slightly freaked out member to the forum. :) (Read 5134 times)
Nathan
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

New, slightly freaked out member to the forum. :)
Jan 3rd, 2013, 9:36am

Hello,

I am a 34 year old male (non-smoker / non-drinker / 5'9" 155 lbs / relatively fit).  About a week ago, I began experiencing "skipped heartbeats" once in a while, and I was sick for a couple of days as well.  I had a fever and aches.  I feel better now, but the skipped beats are still there.  Sometimes I don't feel them for an hour, and sometimes I feel a few per minute.  At one point I felt a few within 10 seconds or so.  I went to the hospital two days ago, and they took blood and gave me an ECG (as well as some ativan since I was quite worked up about it).  They didn't see anything to keep me, and they gave me a holt monitor for the 24 hour period.  I handed that in yesterday and I await the results.  The funny thing was that I didn't really experience many skips at the hospital while I was so keyed up, and I tend to feel them when I'm relaxed, and definitely while laying flat.  I guess my question is... Did they collect enough information at the hospital to know that I'm okay to wait for the doctors appointment?  I have no pain, no tingling, just these skips.  I feel like I'm having a lot right now, but that comes and goes.  

Oh, and one last thing, I felt these a year or two ago during the winter, but they went away.  I run during the warmer months, and I was wondering if activity would help them go away.  It seems scary to get on the eliptical while I'm having heart issues, but obviously if it helps it helps.

EDIT:  So... I'm starting to think it is dietary.  The skips were the worst they have ever been early this afternoon.  I hadn't eaten since 8:00 (bowl of cheerios), and the skips seemed to be coming every ten seconds.  I ate a sub and drank a gatorade around 1:00, and the skips subsided until now.  And even now, they are spaced apart.

« Last Edit: Jan 03rd, 2013, 1:42pm by Nathan »  
  IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: New, slightly freaked out member to the forum. :)
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2013, 6:33pm

Okay, welcome to the forum. I've read your posting and concerns.

You need to pause and relax. You are indeed in no danger whatsoever and there is nothing wrong with your heart. The palpitation events are being induced by wayward impulses from the vagus nerve, which incidentally also innervates your GI tract and is termed the pneumogastric  nerve at that level.

The reason that the events seldom occur during evaluation or monitoring is quite simple. Vagus nerve-induced palpitation events arise in connection with parasympathetic nervous activity. The central nervous systems is made up of two basic systems, the sympathetic and parasympathetic. The sympathetic nervous system is responsible for increasing heart rate, respiration, increased visual acuity, vasoconstriction, reduced motility and bowel function and other aspects of physiology which basically prepare the body for action. You can think of the parasympathetic nervous system then as sort of the brakes and responsible for decreasing heart rate, respiration, visual acuity, vasodilation and increased motility and bowel function. Depending upon the system, certain functions increase while others decrease and vice versa.

The vagus nerve, cranial nerve X, is the largest mixed nerve in the body and its actions are parasympathetic. Whenever the nervous system is under constant strain from various causes, including stress, anxiety and even illness, the potential for wayward nerve impulses to occur is increased. These inappropriate nerve impulses travel along the vagus nerve until reaching the terminal endings and eliciting a response by the organ being innervated, in this instance the heart. The heart is as much a muscle as it is an organ and the heart muscle tissues simply respond to the nerve impulse much in the same way a random nerve impulse in cranial nerve III or VIII cause the eyelid muscles to twitch.

Just as a twitching eyelid is incapable of damaging the eye or causing loss of function, ie sight, so it is with the heart muscle responding to a wayward nerve impulse that is otherwise incapable of producing any type of dangerous arrhythmia or cardiac event of any type. It's merely a muscle twitch. The events will never produce anything more than the sensation itself.

When under evaluation by a physician, most persons are concerned as to what may be found and as a consequence, their sympathetic nervous system becomes dominant while the parasympathetic nervous system is suppressed and less influential. Once it's been determined that nothing is found to be wrong and you arrive back home to rest, the parasympathetic nervous system becomes dominant and the potential for palpitations to arise is increased.

Disturbances of the GI tract can produce palpitation events based upon the fact mentioned earlier regarding the vagus nerve connection with GI function. Realize that an empty stomach can produce GI difficulty just as much as an overfilled stomach. Basically, any circumstance in which the intestines and stomach create upward pressure against the diaphragm, the likelihood of palpitation events increases. A reduction in GI symptoms will directly correspond with a reduction in palpitation events. Belching, changing body positions, eating if the stomach is empty and similar stimulation can often bring about relief.

You're going to be just fine and there's nothing actually wrong with your heart. The tests will return negative and you should use this opportunity for insight in moving forward with your life. Those who dwell upon such matters and become fixated with irrational beliefs concerning the palpitations can cause great disruption in their daily life and even the lives of those around them in certain instances.

Spend time reading through the forum and you'll see that you are not alone with respect to experiencing vagus nerve-induced palpitation events.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Nathan
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: New, slightly freaked out member to the forum. :)
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2013, 10:27am

Thank you very much for this reply!  The analogy of the twitching eyelid really put things in perspective for me and made me realize that I'm fine.  It makes complete sense... it feels like my heart has the hiccups and I'm just waiting for them to stop.  

I even worked out this morning and felt fine.  I'm still experiencing skips, but I didn't experience any during the workout and I felt completely normal.  I feel like they are lessening day by day, and I hope that continues.  Thank you again very much!

Nathan

EDIT:  I shouldn't have said anything.  haha... They started back up again.  I'm sure they'll subside soon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print