martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Why so unpleasant?
Jan 08th, 2013, 10:18am

I've often wondered:

Why are benign palpitations so unpleasant?
Let say that someone really doesn't fear them the tiniest bit, and that no anxiety is around. (I actually dare to claim that I'm (almost) such a person ...)

Why do palpitations feel so bad? It is as if they are "hitting" some nerve-spot or something. And they sometimes love to do so at night with sleepdisruption as a consequence.

Anyone?

IP Logged
saab

Re: Why so unpleasant?
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2013, 11:25am

I think it is because it is our heart, and we only have one. It is difficult to accept  that  any irregularity of the heart is harmless. Logically though, we are not machines, and it would actually be near impossible that our heart beats perfectly regularly 100% of the time.

It's actually normal and usual heart behaviour for there to be  occasional ectopic activity - unfortunately when you feel it as a huge flip or thud it's really disconcerting.  If it was my toe that liked to do it's own thing 50 times a day, it would just be an annoyance, but when it's your heart that's much more worrying.

I think there is also an element of 'tuning in' to them. They are found on 40% of ekgs apparently, so obviously most people are unaware of them.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2013, 12:15pm

Hm, so you think it always is a mental/cognitive "thing"?

I honestly experience that they feel unpleasant. Like being seasick or dizzy for a short moment.

IP Logged
richie

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2013, 8:06am

they do feel unpleasant Martin

thats not cognitive.
that is how it feels.
The wrong assumption is to think that because 40
% of the people. (i just picked a number so dont attack me) dont feel palps but have them also, that the explanation why you do feel them must be cognitive. NOT every person is the same physically so you cant generalize this. maybe a nerve or muscle is involved in your palps.
my palps are almost always painful..spasm..squeeze. I do have some minor skips that just feel like throat flutters. not painful but annoying.

thats why we keep having questions. because people want to tell you you shouldnt bother and focus upon them. but they bother you. my palps are that painful you cant ignore it. if someone hits you in the face you couldnt ignore it too. you feel it.
its imo strange to say..but you shouldnt focus upon it. I dont . it just happens.

my psychosomatic therapist now tells me its when i relax I possibly get more symptoms.. go figure.; so i'm too relaxed Smiley

IP Logged
saab

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2013, 9:23am

The sensation is not cognitive - but the perception that they are harmful is, is what I meant. Personally, since having palpitations I am much more tuned in to what my body is doing. Not just palpitations, I am more aware now of all the other little aches and pains that I would have previously not noticed or dismissed as unimportant. I think there will be many people who don't feel their pvc's or who simply dismiss the sensation. Unfortunately I have found that because they worry me, a palpitation is followed by a surge of anxiety, adrenaline, more anxiety.

Although adrenaline can trigger them, they are common when you are relaxed because your heartbeat is slower and the extra beat can sneak in more easily.  I often get them in bed, just when I am feeling quite calmed down. Also I guess you don't notice them so much when you are busy.

I often feel my pvc's, but my last 24 hr monitor showed 300 - I hadn't felt any that day.

IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2013, 10:03am

Yes, I agree that you are more vigilant towards small and unimportant symptoms.
And of course the heart being a vital organ, feeling "out of rythm" just within that might give rise to fear no matter how much you understand the nature of benign palps.

But still ...

I really believe that I have understood, quite deeply Smiley - that they are not harmfull. They always go away. I'm not dead yet Smiley

But to me they certainly are annoying, for example when they "fire off" at night as soon as I lie down (yes, lower pulse seems to make them come easier), but also just the position lying down.
And mine (sounds like small animals inside you, right?) all too often feel as if they are "hitting a nerve" and thereby make the heart beat harder for maybe an hour or two, causing sleeplessness. And making my urine production bigger. This happens no matter how many times I think or say the mantra. "They are completely harmless ..."
But they still too often devour my sleep, the little bastards!

But thank's God they are ...

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2013, 4:31pm

Well Martin, there is actually a biological reason which helps to explain why the palpitation events are unpleasant. The locus coeruleus is a region of the brain within the pons that serves multiple functions, among them and pertinent here is stress, anxiety and panic.

Remember that when wayward evoked potentials arise and travel along the vagus nerve, all terminal endings are stimulated and respond in ways that are uncommon. The locus coeruleus is stimulated as well and generates activity which can manifest in the consciousness as stress, anxiety and panic features to variable extents.

So to some degree, it is quite impossible to simply ignore the events altogether because of the consequences they are capable of bringing about both physiologically and cognitively, but you certainly are using the proper perspective in affirming to yourself that regardless of what manifests, it is benign in nature and incapable of causing actual harm.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
martinpetersen

"... If your
heart's strong, hold
on   ..."

Denmark
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2013, 12:33am

Thanks a lot, RLR. Very interesting. I never heard about 'locus coeruleus'. I makes a lot of sense to me because I sense that the palps do have a physical - and bothersome - effect as well as the mental one.

Wikipedia has a - imo - interesting article on this part of the brain.

So I move on, first of all knowing palps are not the least dangerous, also trying to reduce them (especially by not eating and drinking too unwise ...) and finally with this knowledge that they actually are able to create an effect "the other way" as well.

IP Logged
rosekay

I Love YaBB 2!

South Wales
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2013, 4:29am

I'm glad someone has asked this question...I really try to ignore the sensation of my heart 'misfiring' in my chest but it's so difficult to do!  I know the theory of why it happens and have been very reassured and helped by this site but I can't get away from the fact that when it happens, it feels just horrible!  Like you say, if it was your foot or your arm twitching away it would be easier to cope with, but hearts are pretty important bits of the body package!   Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print