PVCs from ablation? (Read 3936 times)
brownep
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

PVCs from ablation?
Jan 09th, 2013, 10:54am

Hey everyone,

New user here.  I had a cardiac ablation about 11 months ago for SVT.  Doctor said he was 98% sure it was a success.  I haven't had any episodes of SVT since, thankfully.  I have, however, had a lot of PVCs.  I started to experience them a few weeks after the ablation.  I now seem to experience them 2-4 days out of the week; especially when I try to go to sleep or while sleeping.  I often cannot sleep or wake up during the episodes.  From what I am reading on here and other, they don't seem to be serious and my doctor has told me the same.  There was a 2-3 month period where I didn't experience any PVCs (or at least that I recall) but, I am now getting quite frequently again.

Has anyone had similar experiences?  Should I expect to have these the rest of my life or is my heart still healing from ablation?

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck to everyone... I know these issues can be stressful & uncomfortable..

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: PVCs from ablation?
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2013, 4:20pm

Welcome to the forum and I've read your posting and concerns.

Palpitations of the type being described are indeed both common and harmless. They actually originate from outside, rather than within, the heart and are the result of inappropriate evoked potentials or nerve impulses occurring at the vagus nerve. The events are more akin to a muscle twitch than any type of arrhythmia and they are incapable of inducing any type of cardiac event or transforming normal sinus rhythm into something pathological.

The events are most commonly observed in persons with significant anxiety but can also be demonstrated in individuals experiencing significant GI distress. This is due to the fact that the vagus nerve innervates the GI tract as the pneumogastric nerve.

Although the events can occur at any given time, they are most frequent whenever the parasympathetic nervous system is dominant, ie at rest.

You'll be fine. Regardless of their presentation, they are incapable of harming you or placing you at risk. Again, it's important to remember that the heart is as much a muscle as it is an organ and like other muscles, will respond accordingly to electrical impulses whether from within the heart or from external origin.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
brownep
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: PVCs from ablation?
Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013, 6:48am

Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply.  You have certainly relieved some of my anxiety.  I think the PVCs start up on their own once in a while and then my brain takes over and the anxiety keeps them alive.

Hopefully, everyone can take some solace knowing they aren't harmful and just be confident you'll be fine so subside the anxiety and they'll disappear...

All the best,
PB

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print