Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  News:
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coffee and palpitations RLR (Read 3817 times)
Seabass17
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Coffee and palpitations RLR
Jan 09th, 2013, 12:56pm

I have a question regarding coffee and palpitations. That is the first thing the emergency doctor will ask you when you show up there with palpitations. "Do you drink a lot of coffee?"

I have heard that caffeine is a cardiac stimulant, and that would be the reason for the increase in palpitations. Would caffeine have any effect on vagus nerve events then?

On a somewhat related note, as mentioned last July, I went into AF early in the morning while waking up. I had already experienced palpitations prior to that, so I went off coffee altogether. So coffee could not have been a trigger for the AF episode.

I am really missing it and want to go back to drinking a cup or two a day, but I am afraid to slip back in to AF, which will set off my anxiety even more.

Dr Rane, what is your take on coffee and rhythm disturbances? Both my cardiologist and GP told me I should be fine to have a coffee or two, but I haven't tried yet.

IP Logged
saab

Re: Coffee and palpitations RLR
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2013, 1:06pm

I think most people would say that the first thing to do if you have palpitations, even if you are told they are benign, is to avoid stimulants  - caffeine being the most  obvious. Others would be alcohol and smoking.  I guess  if you have been told that your heart is fine, it will come down to whether you are prepared to tolerate  palpitations in order to enjoy coffee.

I have switched to decaff now as I would rather forego coffee than risk  setting off my palpitations. I think there is a definite link between coffee and palpitations for nany of us, maybe you can discover what the limit is for you.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Re: Coffee and palpitations RLR
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2013, 4:35pm

Okay, caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant rather than specifically a cardiac stimulant. The heart reacts to the state of the nervous system, both sympathetic and parasympathetic. Stimulants induce artificial change to the nervous system that normally take place by sensory feedback both internally and from the environment.

A reduction in stimulants correlates with a reduction in stress upon the nervous system and secondarily, reduction in cardiac reactivity to the changes.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print