Send Topic Print
still scared (Read 13074 times)
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

still scared
Jan 17th, 2013, 2:18pm

Im still having elevated racing pulse after eating and when standing up. Im 48 going thru menopause. High stress and anxiety. My pulse before eating is usually around 88 after 115. When i stand up 125 most of the time. After eating can b as high as 137. Someone please help me. This is ruining my life. I am severely out of shape. Havent done much but sit on couch for the last year.

IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Re: still scared
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2013, 2:21pm

Just wanted to add something. Im not eating good either. No appetite and can barely make myself eat.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2013, 6:12pm

Has your doctor performed any motility studies to determine whether early gastric dumping is occurring? This can result in postprandial tachycardia of the nature described in your posting. Are you experiencing any GI symptoms? Some degree of elevated pulse is a normal physiological response, but the spread on the numbers you provide would be somewhat atypical.

Please indicate your weight, medical history with respect to whether you have diabetes, crohn's disease or other conditions. Has you doctor performed any lab work and if so, provide the results. Also, whether you smoke, consume alcohol etc. Additionally, describe your diet - specifically what foods you eat and consumption patterns during the day.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2013, 6:40pm

I do not have diabetes or any diseases to my knowledge. I have been having burning in stomach.  Ive had a cbc with diff done in october all came back normal except rbc was 5.5 hematocrit 49.1 neut # 5.8.  I dohave extreme anxiety. The strange thing about this is in the evening i can eat anything i want with no racing. Lately my heart has been racing when i first wake up.

IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2013, 7:13pm

Some more info. I do not consume alcohol. I do not smoke. Im not on any medications. I weigh 197. They did a blood glucose test  results were in the normal range. It was at 93. This was not a fasting test.

IP Logged
RLR
YaBB Administrator

Retired Physician

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2013, 4:02pm

I understand your concerns, but it's very critical to realize that simple sinus tachycardia in the range you're experiencing is not life-threatening to any extent whatsoever. Many athletes drive their heart rate far higher during strenuous exercise.

It is particularly concerning to patients when these events occur at rest, but they are most often associated with postprandial tachycardia and although the events can occur frequently, it is typical to experience a somewhat intermittent variation.

Significant anxiety very often produces a mild dysautonomic effect on the central nervous system, but it is harmless in nature.

I do not see anything in your posting that would raise concern, certainly not that you are at any type of risk for a coronary event of some type.

Try to relax. Please provide me with your dietary habits, most common foods that you eat and beverages consumed.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD

Best Regards and Good Health
  IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2013, 8:25pm

Beverages is mainly plain water. Occasionally a glass of milk. Breakfast is either a yogurt or two eggs. Lunch is usually a marie calendars frozen meal. Or kfc grilled chicken breast with coleslaw and green beans. Dinner varies but is usually either beef of some sort or chicken with veggies and potato. Thanks somuch for your help.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2013, 12:00am

Hello,

I also used to have this symptom after eating and in 2009 I made a post in the general section regarding idiopathic postprandial syndrome, which I was convinced I had. I never did find out if that's what I had, but I was certainly "suffering" with postprandial tachycardia, and I also made several threads to Dr. Rane regarding it as well.

I noticed Dr. Rane mentioned Crohn's in his post, which is something I have lived with for 6-years. The gastrointestinal disturbances this disease has caused me over the years have been many, but none were more frightening than the ones that caused my heart rate to elevate, skip and pound in my chest, which was seemingly unrelenting. I noticed that when I would eat, if my bowels were moving faster than they should, I'd suffer symptoms that would affect my heart. My stomach would be bloated with gas, liquids and food which would cause an extremely irritating, worrying and relentless "stuck gas" feeling in the middle of my chest. My heart rate would sometimes go up to 120-130 for hours, and I could sometimes burp it out and it'd disappear for a minute or so (but with no change in pulse rate).

Anyway, the point is that the G.I. system can indeed cause symptoms in the cardiovascular system. Namely the palpitations, tachycardia, skips, thumps, etc., but they're harmless.

The way I overcame the problem was to go to the source of the concern and fix the rapid bowel transit, which had the affect of reduced bloating/gas/liquids passing right through, and forget about the heart because it isn't the source of the problem. It's almost as if you're calling an electrician to fix the fuse box in your house when really you've just left the taps running downstairs and a few wires have shorted out.

You probably don't have G.I. disturbances anyway, but I thought I'd share my story in the event you do discover a gastric relation to your concerns. You're not alone with your symptoms and help is always at hand.

George.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2013, 3:21pm

What did you do to fix the rapid boel transit?

IP Logged
mrsdmilkman
Forum Newbies

Heart Palpitations
Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2013, 7:10pm

One more thing  heres the strange thing. Sometimes in the evening i can eat about anything i want and no racing.

IP Logged
George

Clandestinely
incredulous

England
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:21am

The primary symptom resulting from my Crohn's disease is diarrhoea causing rapid transit. The way I stopped this symptom was by adjusting my diet to include more meat (I try for 1 chicken breast every single day) because meat has a constipating affect, and taking some over the counter Imodium (two 2mg capsules/day).

I don't recommend you do the same since you made no mention of G.I. disturbances and probably also have no need to take this medication; this is just what helped me since I was mostly aware of the fact that my Crohn's symptoms were benignly affecting my heart (mostly rate and rhythm).

With respect to your 2nd comment, I have nothing substantial to say regarding this. I'm aware of the fact that we're generally more calm and relaxed in the evenings (something to do with the "rest and digest" part of the neurologial system), but I can't offer any information beyond that.

Crohn's disease (active terminal ileitis) - diagnosed 2007. Taking: Imodium 2mg x 2 daily. 25 years old (updated 10-June-2013).
Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print